• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    In a AR15 pistol build. Which recoil buffer is best? Weight wise. H2 or something else.

And, reccomend an adjustable gas block.
    Will be a 10" barrel.
    Hope to suppress in the future.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    SLR gas block. I believe an ordinary carbine buffer would work, so long as the gas is adjustable. But Clandestine is the go-to guy for anything AR - perhaps he'll chime in.

FWIW, you can go as low as 7.5 inches for 300BLK without sacrificing anything but perhaps your hearing. . . . Surefire told me that they've run their suppressors on barrels as short as 5" in this caliber without problems, but I suspect that some powder is being wasted at that length.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    SLR clamp-on. If you have an AGB, just use a standard buffer.

That's how my 10.5 is set up and it runs great.

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    I agree with all of the above suggestions. The only thing I have to add is to pay attention to the gas port size on whatever barrel you go with.

Not to hijack the thread with my problems, but it might be useful for your build and I might get a solution for mine. I recently finished a 8.5" 300blk suppressed AR pistol build that I'm having some problems with. The bolt will not lock back on last round reliably using 220gr remington umc subsonic. The barrel is a 8.5 White Oak from Engage Armament, SLR adjustable gas block, standard mil-spec BCG, SBA3 pistol brace, standard carbine buffer and spring, and an Omega 300 suppressor. Originally I had a Spikes T2 buffer, but the gun would hardly eject even with the gas block all the way open. Carbine buffer works much better, ejects nicely, but the bolt still isn't reliably locking back, even opened up all the way. The only thing I can think of is the gas port is too small. I put a pin gauge in the gas port before the build, and if I remember correctly, it was around .080". Does anyone know of a recommended gas port size for a 8.5" suppressed 300bo build and the proper way to drill the port? Figured I'd as before taking a drill press to the barrel.

Again, sorry if it seems like a thread hijack. Thanks and good luck with your build RacerDoug

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are not over-gassed like 5.56, most run pistol length gas, std 3oz buffer in a carbine, and if you use an adjustable block, usually they run nearly wide open, can usually run a standard gas block without much issue. Out of the few I've built and worked on, haven't seen a need to reduce gas, even supressed with supers, but usually need as much gas as I can get to reliably cycle subs in short barrels without a can on it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Everybody and their dog seems to reflexively recommend H2s, super-heavy 9mm buffers, etc. Those things are NOT appropriate in every build. Start out with a cheap carbine buffer. If it doesn't work the way you need it to, THEN start pushing up the buffer weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom