• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello all. Have any of you shot in this kind of a match before? Was thinking of attending the one on August 13 in Thurmont. What is the course of fire? I have a 1903, 1917, and Garand...was debating which one to use. Thanks

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Bring your Garand. Then you won't be fighting the time on the rapid fire. I shoot most of these matches there at Thurmont, so you should see me there.

Here's a long thread that has lots of useful information and videos:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=79111

There should be someone there who can notarize your liability form.

At Thurmont we shoot at 100 yards on scaled down targets, and we walk down to score them after every stage. We usually have two or three relays of seven shooters each. It's a leisurely, low key match. (Actually, there's a lot of standing around talking.)

We usually shoot the short course, but sometimes the long course. Long course is 20 rounds slow prone in 20 minutes, ten rounds rapid prone in 70 seconds, ten rounds rapid sitting in 60 seconds, and ten rounds standing offhand in ten minutes. Short course omits the sitting rapid and only ten rounds slow prone. Both corses start with five sighters.

tylerevans42

May 31, 2015
    Fun match. been up there myself. Take the garand if you please, but every time I've been up there, the guys finishing at the top of the list are shooting 03's

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Fun match. been up there myself. Take the garand if you please, but every time I've been up there, the guys finishing at the top of the list are shooting 03's

Yeah doesn't really surprise me. I think I'll take the Garand though just because I've shot my 03A3 in a different style course already before.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it is really a John C. Garand course, you can only fire a Garand for trophy. And it has to be a pretty stock Garand, no National Match mods.

Of course, a local match may allow anything and everything. :)

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    If it is really a John C. Garand course, you can only fire a Garand for trophy. And it has to be a pretty stock Garand, no National Match mods.

Of course, a local match may allow anything and everything. :)

No problems there, it is completely as issued...no NM or other mods of any kind

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The Thurmont CMP matches are friendly, casual, low-key club shoots. They are not run strictly by the letter of the CMP rulebook.
    In effect, we shoot the John C Garand, the Springfield, and sometimes the M1 Carbine matches simultaneously. One simplification is to allow the same time limits in the rapid fire stages for Garands and Springfields. This gives Garands an extra ten seconds. It's a fun match; it ain't Perry.

There are awards for first, second, and third place scores. No separate first place for Garands and Springfields. The awards are little pins suitable for a lapel or hat. I have a bunch of second and third place pins, all won with a Garand. First place is usually earned by one particular guy who has been shooting the 03-A3 the last couple of years, but he usually shoots a re-entry with the Garand, too, and his Garand scores are typically gold medal level also.

1) It's the shooter, not the rifle.

2) Thurmont is a nice casual club shoot; it's not Camp Perry.

Here's a picture I took of the Prone Rapid Fire stage at Thurmont. The 03-A3 shooter is reloading with a five round clip. Notice he has a second, emergency clip positioned on his right. An emergency clip is a good idea whether you shoot an M1 or a bolt gun.

Attachments

• Thurmont Shooters.jpg
      Thurmont Shooters.jpg
      60.5 KB · Views: 132
    Last edited:

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Everything Threeband said. I think there is a thurmont match coming up. Just make sure you get a notarized affidavit.
    It really also helps if you show up with your 100Y zero. They are pretty accommodating but it helps if you show up prepared.

Shooter88

Aug 21, 2013
    Sounds good, thanks for the information. If by any luck I'll be there for the next one just to try it out. I've shot in a couple casual matches with an 03A3 when I was stationed on Camp Pendleton and used one of their 600 yard ranges. I also competed in the USMC Division Matches with an M4 and it was fun. I would like to get back into it even if it is just a low key casual event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom