• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Is it normal to have gotten a letter stating my fingerprints have been received and my criminal background done, yet still listed as "unchecked" on the MSP website?

I literally just applied 1/22, at 10pm.

Soda

Dec 14, 2010
    Is it normal to have gotten a letter stating my fingerprints have been received and my criminal background done, yet still listed as "unchecked" on the MSP website?

I literally just applied 1/22, at 10pm.

Yes, I got the same letter a couple days after doing my LiveScan. The LiveScan was unchecked until today when the whole thing went Active all of a sudden.

W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    As noted earlier in the thread, they are mailed out once a week

Applied 12/29. Approved 1/14. Rec'd card 1/26 but dated 1/15 and postmarked 1/23. Yeah, get it that they mail out once a week but it still sucks. If it was something where I owed the state you can bet your ass that it would be mailed out immediately with a due date in short order. Now after answering almost all of the same questions again (twice), I get to wait another 7 days. What BS!!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    18 days from start to finish. I started 12/28 and with the Holidays I thought I'd hit the max of 30 days. I've officially "licked" the boots of Martin, MF'er, Owe Malley. Good riddance douche-breath and don't let the door hit you where your head has been for the last 8 years.

It was 30 days on the nose, from application filing to receiving my "Right to buy a handgun" card in the mail, today.

BH8911

Jan 27, 2015
    I'm sure no one can answer this. But why do some people seem to get theirs right away and other are a month? This process is so aggravating. I'm a veteran have no criminal record, 40+ years old, tax payer have live in Maryland all my life except time spent in service did everything they ask and it's been close to 20 days and still 3 things not complete. Stuff that is suppose to be fast check. Do you think it's roll of dice who is sign to do your stuff? I think the Police have a tough job and do a GREAT job. But this lic thing is BS if this was a private own business they have to answer to their customers. Sorry just venting. Found a great deal on gun and want to make purchase. PS good riddance o'mally and so glad his buddy wasn't elected

giggity

Nov 8, 2013
    Judging by what ppl on here have said, I'd guess it's the luck of the draw and maybe who does your application. I applied before some of the others on here but others have gotten "approved" before I did. I don't put the blame on the officers assigned to do these applications, I blame the process and the ridiculous law.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If the original intent of this HQL law was to serve the citizens I have no doubt that the cards could be turned around in a couple of days. I believe they dumped this on the licensing division with no additional manpower or funding and didn't really care.

W.Coyote

MDS Supporter
    May 30, 2013
    Kingsville (Hazzard County)
    If the original intent of this HQL law was to serve the citizens I have no doubt that the cards could be turned around in a couple of days. I believe they dumped this on the licensing division with no additional manpower or funding and didn't really care.

I agree. What I really don't understand is why keep the 7 day wait and all the other forms where you answer all the same questions over and over. It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to have a system where the dealer could type your HQL # in and confirm no wants/no warrants then notify MSP after the fact with weapon specific info. Similar to the NCIC check. Maybe it makes too much sense.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    If you find yourself trying to understand the logic of Maryland gun laws, all you have to do is remember this: the purpose of the law is to discourage to the greatest possible degree all private gun ownership in Maryland. Confusion, ambiguity, expense, and delay are all tools to accomplish that goal.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    If you find yourself trying to understand the logic of Maryland gun laws, all you have to do is remember this: the purpose of the law is to discourage to the greatest possible degree all private gun ownership in Maryland. Confusion, ambiguity, expense, and delay are all tools to accomplish that goal.

You got it!
    Discourage and Conquer

giggity

Nov 8, 2013

That's exactly why I decided to get my HQL. I'm not letting them take away my right to keep and bear arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom