• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • treehugger

Dec 2, 2010
    Takoma Park
    I frequently shoot at an IWL facility in VA its more convenient for me to drive through DC to get on 95 ,going the Beltway adds 26 miles to my travel if my guns are cased and locked, and ammo in another part of vehicle am I OK according to DC law?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You should be covered by the FOPA. Although the courts have been trying to blow holes in it.

As long as the "unloaded" firearms are not in the same compartment as the occupants, you should be fine (locked in the trunk, per se). You can have the ammo in it's own can in the trunk also.

IANAL

Wiley-X

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 25, 2011
    Actually, you can pass through DC without issue. I used to shoot in downtown DC and it always amused me that I could bring guns into the district but people that lived there couldn't have them.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I quote myself from another thread. As said the rules are different for residents, but for passing through the law is:

blueheeler said:
    As far as transport through DC, you good to go.

§ 22-4504.02. Lawful transportation of firearms.

(a) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited by the law from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be permitted to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry the firearm if the firearm is transported in accordance with this section.

(b)(1) If the transportation of the firearm is by a vehicle, the firearm shall be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported shall be readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.
    (2) If the transporting vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console, and the firearm shall be unloaded.

(c) If the transportation of the firearm is in a manner other than in a vehicle, the firearm shall be:
    (1) Unloaded;
    (2) Inside a locked container; and
    (3) Separate from any ammunition.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Actually, you can pass through DC without issue. I used to shoot in downtown DC and it always amused me that I could bring guns into the district but people that lived there couldn't have them.

I have heard stories about that range, but never knew where and when it existed. Was it NRA or Federal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom