• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I went to DC gun registration today, just like I do every 30 days with a new toy. They told me there is a new requirement. Basically I had to sign a form that states the registration of this gun expires in 3 years. I will have to re-register the firearm at that time. They ALSO said, I personally will have to submit (pay for) fingerprints again and they will background check (I pay) me again. I am not sure if fingerprint requirement is 3 years from my first gun registration or 3 years from today. This is a real screw job.

Oddly there is ZERO mention of this requirement on the dc.gov registration page, the approved gun permit, nor is it on the DC exam of lawful gun ownership. It is not clear if this is retroactive, a new law entirely, or if there is even a process to re-register. However the dismissal of Heller II seems to support re-registration requirement is legal from what I read on the NRA site.

The kicker is this requirement going to make a lot of people that lawfully complied with registration into know criminals if they do not know about this largely secret law.

VA is looking better and better every day. However moving to VA means the gun grabber terrorists win.:tdown:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm not 100% familiar with D.C.'s legalities, but, I'm guessing this "re-registering" law must not be new? I found this on the NRA website from February 2009 in past-tense:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U.S. Senate Votes to Uphold Second Amendment in Washington, D.C.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fairfax, Va. – The United States Senate has voted, with overwhelming bipartisan support, to adopt an amendment offered by Senator John Ensign (R-NV) that seeks to protect the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens in the District of Columbia. The amendment, attached to S.160, the D.C. Voting Rights Act, will repeal restrictive gun control laws passed by the District of Columbia’s (D.C.) city council after the landmark D.C. v. Heller Supreme Court decision. The vote margin was 62-36.
    “Today’s vote brings us one step closer to restoring the Second Amendment freedom of law-abiding D.C. residents,” said NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox. “It’s ludicrous that good people in our nation’s capital continue to be harassed as they try to defend themselves and their loved ones in their own homes. This vote reinforces the historic Heller ruling.”

After the Heller ruling, the D.C. city council passed a law requiring would-be gun owners to pay a registration fee, pass a 20-question multiple choice test, take a five-hour training course, undergo an invasive background check every six years, re-register any firearm every three years, and finally, submit all handguns for ballistics testing. Current D.C. law also bans an overwhelming majority of firearms commonly used for self-defense. This Ensign Amendment would also remedy that unjust practice.

“NRA would like to thank the lead sponsor, Sen. John Ensign for his efforts to reform D.C.’s gun laws and enable folks to protect their property and their loved ones,” concluded Cox. “It’s time for leaders in Washington to wake up to the fact that the Supreme Court decision is now the law of the land.”

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Thanks, that is what I was looking for. My google-fu is weak today.

It is amazing I can only find referances to that requirement on NRA and Heller sites. DC does not seem to acknowledge it.:rolleyes:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'll be happy to hold onto your firearms for you :D

On a serious note, see what the SAF or the NRA can do for you :thumbsup:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Blueheeler,

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for Heller II. It was appealed to the DC Ckt Court of Appeals in April. Some discussion on the new Heller II is at:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=34391&page=2

What this case is going after:
    II. THE REGISTRATION, EXPIRATION, AND RE-REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS VIOLATE THE SECOND AMENDMENT
    A. Heller Reaffirms Miller’s Premise that Second Amendment Protection Precludes Registration.
    B. A Person May Not Be Required to Register to Exercise a Core Constitutional Right.
    C. Registration Is Not a Traditional Regulation.
    D. Registration Has No Militia Purpose.
    E. Fees May Not Be Charged to Exercise Constitutional Rights.
    F. Rationing Pistol Acquisition to One Per Month.
    G. Fingerprints and Photographs.
    H. Ballistics Testing.

STATEMENT OF ISSUES
    1) Whether strict scrutiny should be applied to determine the validity, under the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, of the challenged provisions of the District’s firearms laws.
    2) Whether the challenged registration requirements violate the Second Amendment.
    3) Whether the prohibition on “assault weapons” violates the Second Amendment.
    4) Whether the prohibition on “large capacity ammunition feeding devices” violates the Second Amendment.
    5) Whether the challenged registration requirements and the prohibitions on “assault weapons” and “large capacity ammunition feeding devices” are authorized by D.C. Code § 1-303.43.

:thumbsup:

krucam

Ultimate Member

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'll be happy to hold onto your firearms for you :D

On a serious note, see what the SAF or the NRA can do for you :thumbsup:

Honestly, if I have to re-register, most of the guns are going to VA or MD. Registration is a major PITA because there is only one location open 9-5pm on workdays. I have to take off 1/2 day of work (which cost more than most of my C&R guns), go home, get the gun, and pay for registration. This year I have been buying one or two guns a month. When I hit the 3 year mark, I am going to be in re-registration hell trying to transport guns every few weeks.

I am really hoping for a favorable Heller II, I did not know they went to appeals.:thumbsup: They will probably lose in Ct of Appeals. Off to the SCOTUS. Please stay healthy judges.

Cowboy T

VA is looking better and better every day. However moving to VA means the gun grabber terrorists win.:tdown:
    No, it means that they lose. They no longer get your tax revenue, fees, licenses, etc. This hurts their budget. Come on over to VA. I came here from San Francisco, CA, so I have a pretty good idea of how you must feel. It's a little socially conservative compared to how I grew up, but the laws are much more pro-freedom.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    What about the criminals... when do they re-register?

I recall a case quite a few years ago that said criminals did not have to register their firearms. I think some court ruled that requiring them to was a violation of their fifth amendment rights against self incrimination.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom