• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Do this!

I have a Del-Ton and a Windham. I prefer the Del-Ton which was a cheaper gun. It has a better trigger and is more accurate.
    Another happy Delton user here. One carbine rifle and another build using a Delton upper. Midway sells a nice Delton Hbar rifle kit.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have owned 8 AR platform guns...one in 308. Half that I still own. One is as bought save the aforementioned stock change, one I installed a free float tube, the other two are ground up builds. None have ever malfunctioned except when I intentionally installed a rifle ramped barrel in an M4 upper receiver. Very valuable lesson there in many ways. I corrected that set up by correcting the ramp depths and it has been 100% since. A couple were used in 3 gun and high power matches.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The world is your oyster, now go find a pearl! :party29:

There are so many types of AR platforms out there. From old school, to new school. For hunting, range toy, self defense, all of the above. Buy the best you afford. Lots of good brands; Colt, Windham, (don't think S&W has a MD legal rifle), Rock River, Stag Daniel Defense, and others.

[NOTE] Probably wont; be able to do much hunting with a basic AR unless its smaller game.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.
    1. DPMS Panther Arms Oracle -$530
    2. S&W M&P 15 sport 2 -$700

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

So I don't think the M&P is MD legal. Get a basic iron sights AR to learn the fundamentals. That Colt from JLowes would do nicely.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The world is your oyster, now go find a pearl! :party29:

There are so many types of AR platforms out there. From old school, to new school. For hunting, range toy, self defense, all of the above. Buy the best you afford. Lots of good brands; Colt, Windham, (don't think S&W has a MD legal rifle), Rock River, Stag Daniel Defense, and others.

[NOTE] Probably wont; be able to do much hunting with a basic AR unless its smaller game.

Nosler builds a Partition 62 grain bullet made for deer sized game. Loaded it is a Fusion series loading. I bought a box to try them out.

Deadlunch

Jun 9, 2018
    Bowie
    Like you said though, you have the knowledge, skill, and tools to do it. I say it makes more sense to buy your first one complete. See what you like and don’t like. Learn about what products are out there, what is worth buying, and then take knowledge and build one. Its taken me a few rifles to figure out what I would actually want out of a build, but even then its overwhelming with the thousands of options out there.

So all is not lost. I've looked at a few build kits and not intimidated by these. But I do agree with moose. Since this is going to be my first, finding out what I do/don't like and getting down the basics is my first goals.

I'm going to have to reassess my finances for a proper purchase. (strong opinions here about Ruger v Windham I see) I've looked in big box stores, and a few pawn shops. So I guess I am going to start hittin up the local gun shops. (I honestly didn't realize that the big stores didn't have the best selections)

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I bought my first one complete--- the best that I could afford...a Daniel Defense. It wasn't long until I got the itch to try my fingers at building one--- so I did and either way you decide to go will benefit you in different ways--really. I love them both and don't ever plan on giving either one up until I pass them to my son a few days after I've departed this earth. They are both tac drivers and I have no FTFs or other complications to mention after of couple thousand rounds through each. "Buy once---cry once" will serve you well but it doesn't mean you have to break the bank to get a quality firearm-- but if it means you have to wait a bit and save a little more to get exactly what you want the first time--- you'll be serving yourself well in the long run. Good luck and good hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_1706.jpg
      IMG_1706.jpg
      135.2 KB · Views: 167

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Maybe one minor thing to pay attention to: twist rate.

1:7
    1:8
    1:9

It doesn't matter with casual shooting at the range however.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I recommend iron sights if this is your first rifle. OBTW - the AR on the top is a dissipator upper; 16" barrel but same sight radius as a 20".

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
      DSC_0011.jpg
      87.1 KB · Views: 147

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD

Sirex