• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sedition2

Jun 15, 2015
    Sanner's Lake Sportsmen's Club in Lexington Park, MD

Link to course page:
    http://darkangelmedical.com/direct-action-response-training-lexington-park-md-5-6-may-2018/

Course Description:
    The Direct Action Response Training** fills a niche between military self-aid/buddy care training and civilian EMS training and is geared towards those with little to no medical training or background. It provides the student with critical, need-to-know information, which can be utilized in a myriad of situations and stresses the ‘you don’t know what you don’t know’ principle as well as our own principle of “Simplicity Under Stress”. The course is 2 days in length with a total of 16 hours of classroom work to include slide presentations, videos, question and answer sessions and hands-on practical skills application. A manual and all training aids will be provided. A D.A.R.K. (Direct Action Response Kit) may also be provided to each student as part of the tuition. ***There are no prerequisites for this class***

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    If anyone is thinking about it and has the money, I highly recommend that they sign up and take it. I took one of their classes last year and really enjoyed it. Between the information and practice with the contents of their kits, I found it to be better than the SABC I got while in the military. To me, it was definitely worth it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Great class. Take it if you can. I was early on the bandwagon with them in 2013. Worth every penny.

Sedition2

Jun 15, 2015
    If anyone is thinking about it and has the money, I highly recommend that they sign up and take it. I took one of their classes last year and really enjoyed it. Between the information and practice with the contents of their kits, I found it to be better than the SABC I got while in the military. To me, it was definitely worth it.

Great class. Take it if you can. I was early on the bandwagon with them in 2013. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I already signed up a few weeks back, so your comments are making me even more hyped for Saturday.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Folks, I just want to add that Kerry and the gang do classes ALL over the country nearly every weekend. When I took it, the class had about 50 students, each paying $400. The chances of whoever is hosting this particular class getting them to come back to fit YOUR schedule is probably pretty slim.

If training is important to you, you'll make it a priority. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but that tends to be how it works. If they fill the class and the host indicates they have more interest, maybe they'll be back next year or something.

I will add that, IMO, this class is worth traveling for. So if you can't get to this one, catch up with them elsewhere.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    dont need it. been cpr / first aid trained for 25yrs.
    good for beginners though.:thumbsup:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    This class is neither "first aid" nor "CPR".

looks like it to me.

The course covers the following:

Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
    The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
    Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
    H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
    Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
    Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
    Hands-on application of the IMK
    Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
    Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
    Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
    Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
    Application of tourniquets
    Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
    Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
    Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
    Response to active shooter situation
    Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
    Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
    Mass casualty triage procedure
    Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)
    Hardware/Kit
    Note pad and pen/pencil/Sharpie
    Individual First Aid Kit—If you choose to. All training materials are provided.

F2S

Oct 24, 2013
    Having used their products in a shooting, I stand behind their product. Their motto simplicity under stress is spot on. Their kit was easy to use and they backed their word on replacing the kit at no charge. Great company!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Fortunately, I haven’t needed to use their kit. But if the time chooses me, I’ve got one in each vehicle and a couple of spares for camping and backpacking. They aren’t cheap in a good way. Quality products that they stand behind. Their training is definitely not first aid or cpr and they make that clear in the beginning of the class. First aid training never had me doing scenarios of using trauma kit contents, applying tourniquets, and packing bullet wounds.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Fortunately, I haven’t needed to use their kit. But if the time chooses me, I’ve got one in each vehicle and a couple of spares for camping and backpacking. They aren’t cheap in a good way. Quality products that they stand behind. Their training is definitely not first aid or cpr and they make that clear in the beginning of the class. First aid training never had me doing scenarios of using trauma kit contents, applying tourniquets, and packing bullet wounds.

then you haven't received the proper first aid training.
    are the instructors first aid certified trainers?
    did you receive first aid certified cards?

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    then you haven't received the proper first aid training.
    are the instructors first aid certified trainers?
    did you receive first aid certified cards?

I was a first aid/cpr card carrying person back in the 90s when they used to do that in the military. Not sure what they do now and the military stopped issuing cards in the early 2000s. However, it wasn’t nearly what it is now. After having done both, I will say the Dark Angel trauma course is better. Maybe it was poor quality training as it was just a basic course that everyone in the military would get. Nothing specialized. But in no way is the Dark Angel course something to pass up if someone is interested. There’s always something new to learn or even refresh your skills in a class taught by combat veterans who have actual experience in what they are teaching. Just my $.02.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I was a first aid/cpr card carrying person back in the 90s when they used to do that in the military. Not sure what they do now and the military stopped issuing cards in the early 2000s. However, it wasn’t nearly what it is now. After having done both, I will say the Dark Angel trauma course is better. Maybe it was poor quality training as it was just a basic course that everyone in the military would get. Nothing specialized. But in no way is the Dark Angel course something to pass up if someone is interested. There’s always something new to learn or even refresh your skills in a class taught by combat veterans who have actual experience in what they are teaching. Just my $.02.

if you're not getting the proper training from certified instructors or getting certification at the end of the course, then you are wasting $400.
    and yes they still give out cards.
    maybe is should start charging $400.:cool: lol
    as i said, its a start for beginners, but be aware of the wrong info. it could cost someone their life.:thumbsup:

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    if you're not getting the proper training from certified instructors or getting certification at the end of the course, then you are wasting $400.
    and yes they still give out cards.
    maybe is should start charging $400.:cool: lol
    as i said, its a start for beginners, but be aware of the wrong info. it could cost someone their life.:thumbsup:

Maybe my statement wasn’t clear. Sometimes I’m not good at being articulate enough through text.

The military training was basic first aid. Nothing too in depth as it was for the masses. And back in the day, they used to issue cards but discontinued doing so.

The Dark Angel course isn’t first aid or cpr. It’s trauma. My examples you put in bold weren’t limited and the list you copied and pasted on the previous page is a general list of topics. No, they do not issue cards as their offering is not accredited through any agency or outside organization. It is focused on trauma. Just as they differentiate between a first aid kit and a trauma kit. Maybe your first aid training was more in depth than what most would consider “normal” or “average”. Which is great as all classes should be more in depth than what I was taugh. But it doesn’t take away from what Dark Angel offers. Their instructors are certified and most are still active care providers, or whatever their called. It’s a great course for beginners but it’s great for people who have had training in the past are maybe in need of a refresher. Not something nurses, EMTs, or active caregivers may necessarily benefit from. But certainly something beneficial for a lot of us on a forum like this.

Again, this is just my opinion as an average citizen who has had first aid/cpr and attended a Dark Angel course. It’s not for everyone but not everyone has had training of your experience either as you have eluded to. To each their own but this course is definitely not a waste. I didn’t take it to get a card. But I did get out of it what I wanted. Maybe you have some suggestions for similar training that is more cost effective with the certification you recommend. That could help with the more budget minded folks out there.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    what i am saying is don't take the word from someone who hasn't been certified on how to treat someone. it could potentially cause a life threatening injury or death. if this is only about risk assessment, then fine and good, but i don't feel its worth the asking price.

May 13, 2005
    This course sounds like the Immediate Action Medical course that is, or was, put on by Front Sight. I took that quite a few years back, along with a handful or others over the years.

If the Dark Angel course is anything like the Front Sight course, it's worth taking. Scenario driven, put on by Former SOF guys with real world experience multitasking in responding to bad things. I have significant medical experience from my time on a mountain SAR team and these courses, if done right, are always superb training or refresher whether you have experience medically or not.

Again, if the DA class is like the FS course, it's above and beyond "first aid/CPR", considering the course I took involved securing the scene and providing blue gun tactical awareness incorporated into the trauma assessment and response. Nothing like getting your adrenaline pumping treating a "live" victim, with distraction all around, then the 'bad' guy just walks up and pops a cap in you because you were tactically stupid treating the victim without securing the scene lol. Or in the next scenario, too busy securing the scene and the victim died because you let him bleed out.

But like Lee said, verify instructor credentials at the minimum and know what you are trying to get out of the course.

Bottom line though. Get out and train.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm not sure what to say to Lee.

I took Red Cross First Aid in High School, along with CPR, and got "cards" for both.

Dark Angel's curriculum goes WAY beyond what I did in months of classes to earn that first aid card.

If you take the DA class up at Sig Academy in NH, it becomes their "Bullets and Bandages" class that includes a third day with live fire.

Needless to say, that "card" I got did not include that!

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I stand corrected on their accreditation. They provide training to MIL and LEO and offer credit toward some certifications for medical personnel.

As a civilian, this isn’t the same as what the American Heart Association or American Red Cross do. But what they offer is legitimate and they are experienced in what they teach.

I can only speak from my experience but the $400 was worth it. You’re right to ask if it’s worth the cost and to question the legitimacy of the training. But I think that those of us here that have attended one of their courses can vouch for what they offer. I think it’s even better that as a community of like minded individuals, we’re seeking this kind of training to be better prepared for the unexpected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom