• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Post Heller until February 4th before the training requirement the number of firearms registered in the District was 500.

After the training requirement of four hours class and one hour range time (there are no gun ranges in the District) on about February 4th 2009, the number of firearms registered in the District is 50.

The intent of the training requirement was to limit the number of law abiding people capable of owning a firearm....and it worked.
    The District by setting the training requirement on it's residents in order for them to excersise their civil right, they have been denying the right to some. This is no different than the testy they used to make the blacks in the South take before they could vote thereby disenfranchising a class of people and denying their civil right who had trouble reading or trouble with tests.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Post Heller until February 4th before the training requirement the number of firearms registered in the District was 500.

After the training requirement of four hours class and one hour range time (there are no gun ranges in the District) on about February 4th 2009, the number of firearms registered in the District is 50.

The intent of the training requirement was to limit the number of law abiding people capable of owning a firearm....and it worked.
    The District by setting the training requirement on it's residents in order for them to excersise their civil right, they have been denying the right to some. This is no different than the testy they used to make the blacks in the South take before they could vote thereby disenfranchising a class of people and denying their civil right who had trouble reading or trouble with tests.

Remember, "no one in DC wanted to register a handgun before Heller." :rolleyes:

RingKnocker48

Feb 5, 2009
    Land of the Hons
    I wonder how many citizens really want a firearm in D.C.? For me, the constitutional right means that much to me that I would have moved out of there. Maybe the desire is just not there? Maybe the people did move to VA or PA or MD?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I wonder how many citizens really want a firearm in D.C.? For me, the constitutional right means that much to me that I would have moved out of there. Maybe the desire is just not there? Maybe the people did move to VA or PA or MD?
    What it is that most people cannot afford the $100+ transfer fee the only FFL in DC charged, the trouble of getting someone from out of state to even send to DC, the $80 some registration costs, and now the few hundred dollars (or whatever it costs) for the training requirement. That is the reason why the numbers are so low.
    Also for much of the past eight months the DC government would not allow seimi auto handguns already possessed to be registered, then they would not allow any that hold more than ten rounds.

They tried to make it as hard as possible to register a firearm in DC and they succeeded with the past laws, but this most recent law is the worst. Many city dwellers do not have a car and rely on public transportation. Since there are no gun ranges in DC to take the hour of required training, they will have to pay fifty or more dollars for a cab or else do a lot of walking from the nearest bus stop. And of course not many people can afford to miss a few days of work to fufil the training requirment and to do the extensive registration process.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Here is a little tid-bit of info. I found in today's Carroll County Times....Good ammo for the cause...
    AP,
    WASHINGTON — The Metro transit agency says the number of reported crimes in 2008 was the highest in at least six years.

A report to be released this week finds that serious crimes, ranging from robbery to assault, increased more than 15 percent from last year to 1,821 — an average of about five per day. Robberies increased by nearly a third and larceny was up 17 percent.

Still, Metro officials note the transit system is still relatively safe. In 2008, the system averaged 2.52 crimes per 1 million riders.

The majority of crimes occurred in Metro’s parking garages and lots, where items such as briefcases, laptops and cell phones were stolen from vehicles....

http://www.carrollcounty.com/articles/2009/03/24/news/breaking_news/97metrocrime.txt

Dizzy

Jul 21, 2008
    MD

We should start calling it the "The Jim Crow Laws for DC Residents" That outta get some headlines. You're right, its equivalent to a Jim Crow voting type law. Considering the demographics of DC, it'll be easy for someone to sue DC over this citing equal protection and civil rights violations.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    We should start calling it the "The Jim Crow Laws for DC Residents" That outta get some headlines. You're right, its equivalent to a Jim Crow voting type law. Considering the demographics of DC, it'll be easy for someone to sue DC over this citing equal protection and civil rights violations.

Great idea, from now on I am going to refer to it as the Jim Crow gun laws, or something similar.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The other thing to consider, if we're looking at this objectively, is that the majority of those who wished to register a firearm did so immediately after the ruling and, thus, the pool of applicants would shrink over time.

Not that I agree with DC's methodology, but the mantra of "correlation does not equal causation" needs to be repeated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To a large extent anyone with serious desire to have a gun in their residence long since voted with their feet, and already live in Md or Va . The backlog of pent up demand of people either wishing to make a statement, or irreversably locked into residing in DC already went through.
    The potential growth area is in regards to bussiness premises .
    We can not bbe pleased with practices of the sole FFL, but the regulatory and security are probably insurmountable for a start up free standing bussiness that needs to be self suporting, and hopefully profitable. We need a simpethetic succuesssful bussinness own that already has a profitable concern, to wish to make a statement by adding a gun counter to existing bussines .

Atlasarmory

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    someone with an NRA cert. should start a business taking buss loads of people from DC to the range to get there hour training. you know like the buss trips to Atlantic city :deal:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    To a large extent anyone with serious desire to have a gun in their residence long since voted with their feet, and already live in Md or Va . The backlog of pent up demand of people either wishing to make a statement, or irreversably locked into residing in DC already went through.
    The potential growth area is in regards to bussiness premises .
    We can not bbe pleased with practices of the sole FFL, but the regulatory and security are probably insurmountable for a start up free standing bussiness that needs to be self suporting, and hopefully profitable. We need a simpethetic succuesssful bussinness own that already has a profitable concern, to wish to make a statement by adding a gun counter to existing bussines .

If you are saying the growth in sales might be to business owners protecting their businesses, the problem with that is the way I read the new law they still cannot have a handgun and can only have a long gun for protecting their business. Handguns are for protecting the home only because that was the only part addressed by the SC decision so DC is not going to go one step beyond what they think the Heller decision said they have to do.

Douglas

Dec 26, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Keep in mind that D.C.s population is only about 500,000 people (0.5 million).

-Of those 500,000 many are ONLY in D.C. for a limited amount of time before they anticipate returning "home" elsewhere in the USA. This group includes not only the congress but all the staffers associated with congress. This group will probably not bother owning guns while temporarily in DC.

-Add to that the number of residents who are college students & temporary by nature. They won't own guns in D.C.

-Add to that the number of embassy workers/non-US citizens working with the embassies. They also won't own guns.

DC actually has few "native Washingtonians" and many of those who are native to D.C. live on the other side of the Anacostia (Ward 8 - Marion Barry's ward :sad20:).

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    I wonder how many of the 500 pistols registered before the training requirements were purchased through FFL Sykes of Anacostia. I bet 80% of them were previously owned, while 20% legally transferred through the FFL.

Don't forget there are some of us "native Washingtonians" who still own pistols registered in the 1970s before the ban...

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Mr Sykes is extremely nice to deal with and I always enjoy going to see him.

The DC MPD Gun Registration people are for the most part really nice people and easy to deal with.

greyjhu

Jan 28, 2009
    I have never met Mr. Sykes. However, I think his transfer fee is outrageous. Hoping someday DC residents can buy pistols in VA or MD, I am waiting...

Like buffalobob, I have had good experiences with DC firearms. I found all of them to be nice people, especially the head of Firearms, Lt. Shelton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom