• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Okay, a purchased in 2016 7.62x39 Vepr. Would putting a 30rd SGM mag in it, take it out of compliance? Yes or no? I have not done this, and I believe it would take the Vepr out of MD compliance.

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    It would become banned not only from a MD perspective, but also from ATF as 10+ Rd magazine would make it non-922r compliance.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So adding a 30 round magazine to a specially banned firearm is violation of ATF regulations? What about if you already owned both the rifle and the magazine, were they grandfathered? I don’t understand how they would prove it was a recent addition, assuming it would be incumbent on them to do so. Sorry if I appear dense (am dense?). I looked up the regulation but can’t figure it out.

Money_B_85

Mar 30, 2017
    So adding a 30 round magazine to a specially banned firearm is violation of ATF regulations? What about if you already owned both the rifle and the magazine, were they grandfathered? I don’t understand how they would prove it was a recent addition, assuming it would be incumbent on them to do so. Sorry if I appear dense (am dense?). I looked up the regulation but can’t figure it out.

Vepr is 100% Russian in its Sporter configuration. Due to that, it can legally only have a Max of 10 Rd magazine. If you add anything above that, you would need to swap out Russian parts with US made parts to not be in violation of 922R

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Why not just 922r it? It's really easy.

http://www.adamkonieska.com/archives/922r-compliance-calculator

Get Tapco parts or whatever, then no problem. The mag body, floor plate, and follower all count as parts and you only need 6 US parts. Hammer, Trigger, Disconnector and the 3 US made magazine parts, Or muzzle device, pistol grip, and stock so the mag doesn't matter.

Because I am in MD, and if the Vepr is altered from its imported, sporter configuration, it becomes a banned weapon. My understanding.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It would be a violation of Federal 922(r) law, until you replace a few parts with US ones.

I don't see how it violates MD law since there is no "sporting" consideration in FSA2013, unlike at the Federal level. A VEPR is legal because it is not banned by name and the MSP has decided it is not a copy of a banned firearm, or a copycat under the definition in the statute. There is no language in the bill to say that you cannot insert a larger magazine into any rifle approved for sale in MD.

There have been ATF opinion letters regarding use of high-cap magazines in "sporting" rifles, but again that's definition in Federal law, not MD law. There is a decades-old statement from the MSP concerning sporting rifles—but that came a long time before FSA2013 and I have never seen evidence that it has any bearing on current MSP opinion, outside of speculation on this forum.

Sirex