• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    I have a question for anyone willing to answer.
    I finally got my hql and would like to purchase my first handgun. Unfortunately I currently live with family until I get an apartment later this year/early next year, who do not want firearms in the household. Can I legally store a hand gun at a close friends house (everyone there is over the age of 21) in a triple locked case with no ammo or magazines being stored with the firearm or at the same residence? It would just be the handgun itself without magazines or ammo. It would be in a double locked hard case with a trigger lock also. If this is possible would I need to leave a letter with them or statement of who has possession of the firearm along with contact info and hql number?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    I have no idea about the legalities of what you're asking BUT if you're just going to "store" it what's the rush ? Handgun/mags/ammo prices have dropped pretty dramatically across the board and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting they'll go back up any time soon so why not just wait ? Unless you've got a line on some fantastic deal you can stock up now on accessories and get the gun later.

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    I have no idea about the legalities of what you're asking BUT if you're just going to "store" it what's the rush ? Handgun/mags/ammo prices have dropped pretty dramatically across the board and there's nothing on the horizon suggesting they'll go back up any time soon so why not just wait ? Unless you've got a line on some fantastic deal you can stock up now on accessories and get the gun later.

I would like to practice shooting and become familiar with the firearm in my spare time

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I would like to practice shooting and become familiar with the firearm in my spare time

Perhaps renting a handgun would work for you if they have the model you are planning to buy, or if you haven't made up your mind on exactly what you want it would give you the chance to try out a variety of handguns.

As for your question it probably is legal, if your friend wants to take the responsibility of safe guarding your handgun. But I would ask a lawyer to be sure, in case something does happen to it.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Basically you would be loaning your firearm to your friend which "should" be fine as long as your friend already has a handgun license. If not, it's a big No No.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Idk the answer, but I'm curious. Sounds like lending, but if it's locked and they don't have the key do they even have legitimate access to it.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I hate questions like this. I'm leaning towards don't do it unless Hillary Clinton is a close friend.

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    Basically you would be loaning your firearm to your friend which "should" be fine as long as your friend already has a handgun license. If not, it's a big No No.

They would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm. Only I would be able to access the fire arm. Unfortunately nobody who lives there's has an hql. That's where I hit the wall that is a gray area as I don't want to accidentally do anything illegal.

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    Idk the answer, but I'm curious. Sounds like lending, but if it's locked and they don't have the key do they even have legitimate access to it.

Nobody in the residence would have access to the firearm. Only I ever would, unfortunately nobody there has an hql and that's where it goes into a gray area as I do not want to accidentally do anything illegal.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    They would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm. Only I would be able to access the fire arm. Unfortunately nobody who lives there's has an hql. That's where I hit the wall that is a gray area as I don't want to accidentally do anything illegal.

It doesn't matter if your friend has access. What matters is he/she has possession and without a license, you and your friend would be in violation of the law in a major way. Don't do it!

My recommendation is to try to find a gun range that also sells firearms. See if you can purchase the firearm there and store it at their facility so you can come in and use it at the range. I heard some ranges have lockers to rent or they will just let you do that for a limited amount of time.

Why can't you keep it where you currently reside?

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    You say "would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm" but if it's just in a lock box anyone with a screwdriver or can simply walk off with the box can get to it. You also sate that you want to practice with it, which is not JUST STORING it.

someone once said, 'way to go Sheldon, staying outside the box but keeping your nose right up against it"

Except for some specific circumstances NOBODY would ever have access to my firearms if I wasn't with them

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    You say "would not have any access or ability to access and use the firearm" but if it's just in a lock box anyone with a screwdriver or can simply walk off with the box can get to it. You also sate that you want to practice with it, which is not JUST STORING it.

someone once said, 'way to go Sheldon, staying outside the box but keeping your nose right up against it"

Except for some specific circumstances NOBODY would ever have access to my firearms if I wasn't with them

Sounds like I will hold off on the purchase until I have my own apartment. Thank you for you're help though

Glocko

Mar 14, 2018
    It doesn't matter if your friend has access. What matters is he/she has possession and without a license, you and your friend would be in violation of the law in a major way. Don't do it!

My recommendation is to try to find a gun range that also sells firearms. See if you can purchase the firearm there and store it at their facility so you can come in and use it at the range. I heard some ranges have lockers to rent or they will just let you do that for a limited amount of time.

The family I live with has never been to fond of fire arms. Thank you for the advice though it sounds like I will hold off on the purchase until I have my own apartment or go with the range idea.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012

A HQL is not needed to "posses" a firearm. I'm really not seeing a problem with storing it like this if he has no access to it.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    If your friend would be otherwise qualified to possess a handgun, it is not illegal for it to be in his possession. He couldn't buy it without the HQL (unless it was a C&R gun, then no HQL needed by anybody), but that's not what you're talking about.

Have you heard otherwise?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Again, what’s your hurry? If you want to “become familiar” with it then just rent it when you shoot at the range. Sounds like another of these “what if” questions trying to get a wrong answer from the forum. In the current time with all the anti 2A protests and all the trolling for information just wait until you get your apartment. Ever thought about if your friend tells you that he was robbed and your new locked in a box gun was missing?

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Where do you get that from?

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    Again, what’s your hurry? If you want to “become familiar” with it then just rent it when you shoot at the range. Sounds like another of these “what if” questions trying to get a wrong answer from the forum. In the current time with all the anti 2A protests and all the trolling for information just wait until you get your apartment. Ever thought about if your friend tells you that he was robbed and your new locked in a box gun was missing?
    It could also be that people are particularly sensitive to breaking one of many very confusing laws, and figure they can come here and maybe get answers based on the law, not based on misguided fears.

If he isn't transferring ownership, his friend does not need a triple locked super secret box to be legal... Assuming he is otherwise not precluded from owning a firearm. Why does that answer have to have all kinds of 'but you probably shouldn't' surrounding it.

Our laws are tough enough without adding even more restrictions than already exist...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom