• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Like the title reads. So many options.

What is good magnification staying inside 200 yards probably more around 100 yards?

Reticle shape and color? what is optimal?

Is it worth it to get model with RDS on top?

I think I want to stay around the $1500 price range

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You have a lot of options, so I guess my recommendation would depend on what you were doing. Super helpful, I know. Ringing steel, shooting for groups, hunting, varminting, self defense? Shooting from a bench, bipod, prone, or offhand? What firearm is it going on? At any rate I'll give my opinion, but please keep in mind how much you paid for it.

Personally I would go with one that has the Primary Arms ACSS reticle. I like that reticle a lot, and think it is much better than the standard RCO. It is kind of nonstandard for ACOGs and limits you to 1.5x or 4x magnification though. I feel like green reticles are easier to pick up in low light, but I think they are too distracting in bright light. I don't like amber much, either. Seems to fade out for me. So I would go with red. Inside 200 yards and not trying to shoot tiny groups, I'd probably just do the 1.5x and no RDS. 4x you may want an RDS, but I would prefer to purchase separately and do a side offset mount at the rail. I don't like super high bore offset optics though.

Also if you don't like shooting nose to charging handle or crowding the area of your rifle near where a charging handle on an AR15 sits with an optic and your face, the 4x may not be your best choice. Eye relief is not that great. But the clarity and field of view are excellent. It will feel like a lot more than a 4x. Personally I really want a 1.5x for a combat rifle type build, but I wouldn't be shooting paper at 100-200 yards and be expecting tiny groups.

I hope that helps? I haven't shot acogs nearly as much as a lot of folk, so please don't mistake me for an expert. I shot an RCO a bit about a decade ago (enough to decide I liked the Elcan SpectreDR better), and have played with some since. I like the ACSS reticle a lot. Shooting is fun. Crayons are tasty.

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017
    My co-worker has the 3x30 on his patrol rifle, it works extremely well for distances you have described, he has the green horseshoe and I really like it. IIRC he picked his up for around $950 on sale, but I am not sure where.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    You have a lot of options, so I guess my recommendation would depend on what you were doing. Super helpful, I know. Ringing steel, shooting for groups, hunting, varminting, self defense? Shooting from a bench, bipod, prone, or offhand? What firearm is it going on? At any rate I'll give my opinion, but please keep in mind how much you paid for it.

Personally I would go with one that has the Primary Arms ACSS reticle. I like that reticle a lot, and think it is much better than the standard RCO. It is kind of nonstandard for ACOGs and limits you to 1.5x or 4x magnification though. I feel like green reticles are easier to pick up in low light, but I think they are too distracting in bright light. I don't like amber much, either. Seems to fade out for me. So I would go with red. Inside 200 yards and not trying to shoot tiny groups, I'd probably just do the 1.5x and no RDS. 4x you may want an RDS, but I would prefer to purchase separately and do a side offset mount at the rail. I don't like super high bore offset optics though.

Also if you don't like shooting nose to charging handle or crowding the area of your rifle near where a charging handle on an AR15 sits with an optic and your face, the 4x may not be your best choice. Eye relief is not that great. But the clarity and field of view are excellent. It will feel like a lot more than a 4x. Personally I really want a 1.5x for a combat rifle type build, but I wouldn't be shooting paper at 100-200 yards and be expecting tiny groups.

I hope that helps? I haven't shot acogs nearly as much as a lot of folk, so please don't mistake me for an expert. I shot an RCO a bit about a decade ago (enough to decide I liked the Elcan SpectreDR better), and have played with some since. I like the ACSS reticle a lot. Shooting is fun. Crayons are tasty.

Most shooting is just target shooting with getting the best groupings possible with whatever equipment. The ACOG will be going on an AR rifle most likely 5.56. I am looking at trijicons, buy once cry once.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Most shooting is just target shooting with getting the best groupings possible with whatever equipment. The ACOG will be going on an AR rifle most likely 5.56. I am looking at trijicons, buy once cry once.
    I think you misunderstood me. Trijicon makes 4x and 1.5x versions of the acog with the primary arms ACSS reticle. I'm not talking about the primary arms fixed prism scopes.

ETA: here you go

http://www.primaryarms.com/trijicon...ed-dual-illumination-acss-reticle-ta31-r-acss

http://www.primaryarms.com/TA44-C-400306

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You really, really need to see them in person and compare. No such thing as "optimal". Eye relief and field of view vary wildly from model to model. It's personal preference, especially reticle and color. The reticle is probably smaller than you think if you haven't seen them in person. I like the amber. Most people don't. I love the TA11 but its big and heavy. You should hold off on any impulse buy until you look through the TA44, TA33, and TA31. RDS on top is pure novelty.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You really, really need to see them in person and compare. No such thing as "optimal". Eye relief and field of view vary wildly from model to model. It's personal preference, especially reticle and color. The reticle is probably smaller than you think if you haven't seen them in person. I like the amber. Most people don't. I love the TA11 but its big and heavy. You should hold off on any impulse buy until you look through the TA44, TA33, and TA31. RDS on top is pure novelty.
    I agree with looking at them in person if possible. ACOGs are a serious investment. You can end up with something you hate instead of something you love with some pretty minor differences.

Ap1026

Jul 25, 2017

This is a great point, I never looked through an ACOG until I saw my co-workers and I was surprised as the size of the reticle.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    I agree with looking through each, but for your requirements of within 200 yards I'd have to say the TA33 is more than likely what I'd pick. Nice long eye relief, not excessively large, magnifies just enough to be useful, but not enough to be disorienting up close. Only gripe some people will have is the narrow field of view it offers, but I shoot both eyes open, so I can't really corroborate those claims on either of my TA33's.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I’d get the TA 31 if shooting off a bench most of the time. If you’re not stuck on an ACOG, Might want to look at the Elcan OS4. Good eye relief and FOV and glass to match.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I agree with looking through each, but for your requirements of within 200 yards I'd have to say the TA33 is more than likely what I'd pick. Nice long eye relief, not excessively large, magnifies just enough to be useful, but not enough to be disorienting up close. Only gripe some people will have is the narrow field of view it offers, but I shoot both eyes open, so I can't really corroborate those claims on either of my TA33's.

Yeah. It's field of view is somewhat narrow but worth the tradeoff to get such a compact package. I don't give much weight to that complaint. The field of view isn't much different than a small variable scope with similar eye relief set to the same magnification.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    b3ac0c4f4f0a38eaa313d4f0060f10f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Nice setup! how are you liking yours?

Thanks! I love it. It sits on my rifle that is in my Bronco and it just rides around with me. I just put it in that R-Com mount or whatever. They’re at Botach and most places super cheap for some reason. $39 for a $250 mount. Rock solid, and really nice quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Glockman80

Feb 23, 2018
    Maryland
    Acog

I use a mini Acog 1.5 x16 green reticle on my DD Mk18 SBR 100 yards no issues you’ll love it. I have mine in a Larue Tactical Quick Detch mount.

I use magpul pro offset folding sights to have some rifle sights on many stick as well

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I use a mini Acog 1.5 x16 green reticle on my DD Mk18 SBR 100 yards no issues you’ll love it. I have mine in a Larue Tactical Quick Detch mount.

I use magpul pro offset folding sights to have some rifle sights on many stick as well

Is that the TA44 with the ACSS reticle?

I bought the MRO and now wish I went with what you have. However, I have only looked through the ta-31. Can't find anywhere I can peep through it before purchase. Chantilly Show was a bust for the TA44

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom