• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Have a small part I need printed. I have the files to print it but no printer. It is gun related but not a receiver or anything, it is an AR assessory similar in size to a magpul VFG. I can send you the files and you can see if you can do it and for how much money.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I think 3d printers are similar to color printers where the profit is in the ink (malleable plastics). I'd suspect a 2"x5" part might cost upwards of $75 in ink.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think 3d printers are similar to color printers where the profit is in the ink (malleable plastics). I'd suspect a 2"x5" part might cost upwards of $75 in ink.

Cool, once I have one I can copy them cheaply with a silicone mold

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Thanks to all who responded! I actually found an online company who will make them for under $50 shipped. If the part works, I’ll post more details

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Some Anne Arundel county libraries have 3d printers, I'm sure other counties probably do also. I think it is $0.20 per gram.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Some Anne Arundel county libraries have 3d printers, I'm sure other counties probably do also. I think it is $0.20 per gram.

Carroll County Library in Eldersburg has one...same price. I just had a couple of small OLED cases printed for my son there. Worked out fine.

There's also various "Maker Spaces" that have them as well. There's one on main street in Westminster that allows public use of a 3D printer, I believe.

SpookyDan

HK Freak
    Mar 10, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Use Xometry. Good prices, good quality and very firearms friendly in a world where more and more businesses are starting to turn down firearms related projects.

gwoodburn

Feb 9, 2012
    Owings Mills, MD
    Use Xometry. Good prices, good quality and very firearms friendly in a world where more and more businesses are starting to turn down firearms related projects.

There he is...

Dan has tried several different vendors and Xometry seems to be the best to work with. I've seen the results and they are awesome. Search through some of his posts and I'm sure you can find examples.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I can probably do PLA prints for people, and maybe ABS or PETG if given some more lead time to swap over. I will not print receivers / serialized parts, but I'd consider other stuff. Obviously, this would not be free, and given my own time constraints, I would not be promising absolutely perfect results.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve been thinking about improving the XLR stock on my Savage Stealth. The thing is a beast in terms of support and rigidity. The pull and head positions are rock solid once I get everything locked in. The only thing I don’t like is the bottom bar is not angled like a traditional stock. I like being able to slide the rear bag back and forth in addition to squeezing it make fine adjustments to elevation.

To this is the idea I came up with. It will slip over the bottom bar and the pull slide bars. Going to try a quick test print with very low infill first to work out any bugs.

6b1b50678358b52ecb939e16d7c75322.jpg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    ......and 16hrs later it’s done.

I made it with really thick side walls and 50% infill just to make sure it wouldn’t crack under recoil.

I got behind it and aimed out to some trees about 60yd behind my back door and it looks like I can fine tune about 30-40mils without adjusting the bipod. Thats what I was hoping for.

67771f3e93a40b3b5f11ec5b93faa218.jpg

040c255eafed164e5a236a745ffea34f.jpg

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I've got two at home and do a decent amount of it at work. something the size of the AFG is about 2$ in materials unless using something fancy like the carbon filled nylon or the metal filled foundry materials that you kiln bake to sinter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom