• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfdad

Older Shootin' Geek
    Mar 2, 2011
    Earth, I think..........
    In case you haven't seen the attached. More over-reach by the MSP.

Attachments

• MSP-LD's Handgun Permit GS National Security Position Verification Letter.pdf
      353.3 KB · Views: 2,891

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The problem is getting a "Security Manager" to provide such a letter. A normal employment verification, easily provided, is insufficient.

Government security personnel will not provide such a letter. Contractor security managers are hit or miss. Also, simple verification of the clearance level is not sufficient. They ask for A statement from the Security Manager confirming that you have routine and daily access to materials classified at your current clearance level.

This is despite the verified threats and the OPM hacks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    And Hogan is doing nothing about directing the MSP to accept self defense as a good and substantial reason...

teawhy

Mar 24, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Just to clarify, this is regarding a wear and carry permit, correct? And that allows for concealed carry? Forgive the stupid question. Haven't been a MD resident for very long and still learning the state laws.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    Just to clarify, this is regarding a wear and carry permit, correct? And that allows for concealed carry? Forgive the stupid question. Haven't been a MD resident for very long and still learning the state laws.

Correct

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I see one potentially insurmountable problem already:

The letter should be drafted on letterhead or other official stationary and should contain, at a minimum, the following information:
     Your name and current level of Federal Security Clearance eligibility (Top Secret, Top Secret/SCI, Secret, etc)
    A statement from the Security Manager confirming that you have routine and daily access to materials classified at your current clearance level
     The name and contact information for the Security Manager drafting the document

I don't know but can pretty much guess Uncle Sugar is going to have a BIG issue with telling non-cleared people in MSP (and the rest of the world) about how often and at what level a cleared employee accesses secret info. That this would be a problem shouldn't have been hard to figure out. I respect FLD and know they have a hard job but honestly some of this stuff an eighth grader could figure out beforehand.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

I don't know but can pretty much guess Uncle Sugar is going to have a BIG issue with telling non-cleared people in MSP (and the rest of the world) about how often and at what level a cleared employee accesses secret info. That this would be a problem shouldn't have been hard to figure out. I respect FLD and know they have a hard job but honestly some of this stuff an eighth grader could figure out beforehand.

What the MSP is asking for constitutes a security infraction, if my memory serves. That's why, as an OP above mentioned, most Federal security officials and all of the self-aware contractor FSOs will simply throw away the letter.

The MSP LD really does need to install a mirror, look into it several times a day, and realize they are not anywhere as Important as they think they are.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    What the MSP is asking for constitutes a security infraction, if my memory serves. That's why, as an OP above mentioned, most Federal security officials and all of the self-aware contractor FSOs will simply throw away the letter.

The MSP LD really does need to install a mirror, look into it several times a day, and realize they are not anywhere as Important as they think they are.

Sadly, the fact that they can, and routinely do, deny people the means of self-protection indicates to me that they are in fact as important as they think they are. It's repulsive to watch them deny decent citizens their natural right to self-defense, especially when contrasted to all the surrounding states.

wolfdad

Older Shootin' Geek
    Mar 2, 2011
    Earth, I think..........
    MSP Letter

Just to clarify, JPAS is the database where all relevant government (not hacked yet, but give it time) individual security clearance data is held. It is a violation to print out, distribute or otherwise disseminate any/all JPAS information (any PSO, FSO or SSO can lose not only their JPAS access, but their clearance for this violation). BTW, for those of you reading, it is a federal violation to copy or allow to be copied, your CAC card, military ID card or retired military ID card. I was denied at the interview and the informal review levels because I am "retired" and, no longer require access to classified, which is a total BS argument. I am under non-disclosure agreements for the rest of my life (need to know and MSP doesn't) and still have knowledge at my still "active" clearance level that I cannot disclose. Plus, my last company has me on a part-time, on-call status, also documented (both telephonically and in writing by MSP). What is really bugging me is the fact that being "retired" seems to be a trip-wire for NO. The other question I have is since when does a first sergeant in the MSP dictate state firearms policy? And, IMHO, Hogan needs to grow a set and move forward. All I hear is "wait until the 2018 elections and maybe we will have enough delegates to allow Hogan to make a move." We are slowly falling into the "acceptance mode" vice the "fight" mode.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I figure it's highly likely that MSP knows how difficult this information is going to be to obtain and that is the exact reason that they are asking for it.
    Additionally, in our case, the command security manager does not have the authority to sign letterhead documents by direction of the Commanding Officer.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert

You are correct. Pax River asked legal for their opinion on the matter, and legal said not to comply. Also, LD knows this, and claims every other agency has no problem doing this, but pax is being a stick in the mud.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    does the LD go home every night with a big smile and say " yep, another day with no permits approved is a good day."

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Previous posters are correct. There is no way any security manager or supervisor is going to divulge clearance info to MSP. They are just happily chugging along blocking one avenue after another that any honest citizen comes up with to get a permit.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    You are correct. Pax River asked legal for their opinion on the matter, and legal said not to comply. Also, LD knows this, and claims every other agency has no problem doing this, but pax is being a stick in the mud.

You are being too generic. NAS PAX (host command) has not had any requests for legal opinions on the matter. NAVAIR (tenant command) has.
    That said, they are not being a stick in the mud. They are refusing to provide information that MSP should not be asking for in the first place. The information that they are asking for is provided by a system that specifically does not allow for that information to be provided to persons who do not have an official need to know. MSP does not have a need to know.
    MSP stating the every other agency is providing the information is overly broad and incorrect. With a few minor exceptions that I'm aware of, DoD, by and large is not providing the information. It would be wrong of them to do so.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Previous posters are correct. There is no way any security manager or supervisor is going to divulge clearance info to MSP. They are just happily chugging along blocking one avenue after another that any honest citizen comes up with to get a permit.

Not that it'll do any good, but I sent an email to MSP outlining some of the errors of their request. We'll see if I get a reply.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Not that it'll do any good, but I sent an email to MSP outlining some of the errors of their request. We'll see if I get a reply.

MSP is well aware of NAVAIR pax's legal opinion. Personally I think their requirement is written specifically to ask for what NAVAIR won't provide. Security has suggested other options that are permissible, that MSP refuses to accept.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    MSP is well aware of NAVAIR pax's legal opinion. Personally I think their requirement is written specifically to ask for what NAVAIR won't provide. Security has suggested other options that are permissible, that MSP refuses to accept.

I agree. MSP is asking for it because they know they won't get it and that will allow them to not approve applications. :sad20::rolleyes::mad54:

Once this get rolling they will point to a few instances where some agencies are providing the information and use that as justification as to why all should.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon

You know, this has gotten absurd. Where is Hogan on all this? This kind of conduct goes far, far beyond just "following the law" and requiring "good and substantial."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom