• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Since I have wanted a Kel Tec PMR30 for sometime, I was pleasantly surprised to find it listed on the MD Handgun Roster. BUT there was a double asterisk after the listing. I could find no explanation of what double asterisk signified. Does anyone know what it signifies and can we finally buy a PMR30 here in MD?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The bi-annual official roster (Jan. 1, 2018) has no such annotation. If I recall correctly, the online roster had a note regarding the fact that the gun was legal but 30-round magazines are not.

mikemild13

Oct 27, 2015
    The double asterisks is still on the handgun roster for the PMR-30. Any help in explaining what the ** means would be appreciated.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I have no official information, but it might mean that the evil standard capacity magazine has to be mutilated to only hold 10 rounds for you to get a mag with your gun. The gun shop can usually perform this "service" for you.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Looks like both cmr & pmr take the same magazine.

Are there restrictions on capacity for rimfire rifle magazines?

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Just got a PMR30 with fiber optic sights for $350, new in box. Was a lay-away return and some reason listed wrong as basic version and they honored the price, nice!
    Vance Outdoors!

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    well, took it out today and tried it out, strike One. Loaded 25 rounds, carefully, did not feed first round right off the bat, jammed 8 times in 25 rounds, non-feed failure. Came home and got to work releasing some drag. Mostly their black paint is the problem on slide surfaces, slide release near impossible to work, filed the top corner more round and that works fine now. Cleaned out the slide rail slots with a needle file, full of painted and something blistered in the paint, so now slide pulls back smoothly, was stiffer than a 3am nocturnal dream. Cleaned up top of magazine, bottom of lip that retains rounds to allow them to slide out of the magazine better, have not tried firing it yet, maybe tomorrow I'll run some rounds through it, waiting for the "nest" loader for anything over 8-10 rounds. Get above 20 rounds and they start to dent and difficult to load, doing 30 by hand, out of the question. One thing I have not addressed and not sure if needed, the magazine 'could' sit 2mm higher than the catch holds it at. Mainly the biggest issue is shoddy fit and finish, poor rough paint finish. Used a steel nail file to smooth and polish all contact surfaces. the top slide is real smooth now. Was extremely hard to pull back as it came. Loosened top block and only snugged down the 4 bolts. I consider it now only as a novelty fun gun, not dependable enough for critical carry and would not trust it as one. If my life depended on this, I would just run to begin with. Any more feed issues and I'll work out to get the magazine fully seated up the extra 2mm to attempt better feeding. My rating: half-ass manufacturing.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    well, took it out today and tried it out, strike One. Loaded 25 rounds, carefully, did not feed first round right off the bat, jammed 8 times in 25 rounds, non-feed failure. Came home and got to work releasing some drag. Mostly their black paint is the problem on slide surfaces, slide release near impossible to work, filed the top corner more round and that works fine now. Cleaned out the slide rail slots with a needle file, full of painted and something blistered in the paint, so now slide pulls back smoothly, was stiffer than a 3am nocturnal dream. Cleaned up top of magazine, bottom of lip that retains rounds to allow them to slide out of the magazine better, have not tried firing it yet, maybe tomorrow I'll run some rounds through it, waiting for the "nest" loader for anything over 8-10 rounds. Get above 20 rounds and they start to dent and difficult to load, doing 30 by hand, out of the question. One thing I have not addressed and not sure if needed, the magazine 'could' sit 2mm higher than the catch holds it at. Mainly the biggest issue is shoddy fit and finish, poor rough paint finish. Used a steel nail file to smooth and polish all contact surfaces. the top slide is real smooth now. Was extremely hard to pull back as it came. Loosened top block and only snugged down the 4 bolts. I consider it now only as a novelty fun gun, not dependable enough for critical carry and would not trust it as one. If my life depended on this, I would just run to begin with. Any more feed issues and I'll work out to get the magazine fully seated up the extra 2mm to attempt better feeding. My rating: half-ass manufacturing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, where do you shoot out there, I will be up in Mansfield this week.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not to hi-jack the thread, where do you shoot out there, I will be up in Mansfield this week.

today it was at a property I was looking at, with the owners permission of course. Normally, i go to Vance Outdoors indoor range, i have a yearly pass there, and a Ohio DNR range pass for state ranges.
    My brother and I will be at Vance's this Wed.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Email keltec they are very customer friendly.

thanks, I have it functioning pretty smoothly now dry, I'll try some live fire and see if it feeds any better. No reason it shouldn't, the slide/extractor comes across appears to get the round fine. We'll see.
    Not sending it to them for 3 months only to be returned in what I've read, beat up condition. Based on one guy's experience, I know it may be just one guy, but yet it happened and the factory should never lets apes do repairs.
    https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076649

rickinboots

TEAM GET' UM
    Jun 12, 2011
    Pasadena
    Yeah nobody should have to go thru something like that. One thing to remember about keltec is going manufacturing is a second income for them. They manufacture equipment for space missions. I have the pmr and cmr. They both function great. Once you get yours operating normally I think you will like it a lot.

glueru

Lead em to bleed em
    Aug 18, 2020
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah nobody should have to go thru something like that. One thing to remember about keltec is going manufacturing is a second income for them. They manufacture equipment for space missions. I have the pmr and cmr. They both function great. Once you get yours operating normally I think you will like it a lot.

yea I think I will once it gets in the groove, cool gun, not much recoil, controllable, pretty accurate, it has lots of positives, but also a lot of negatives.
    Out of the box, the slide was so hard to get pulled back, the slide release button literally took two fingers to depress. I got that resolved and it's very smooth and releases like a Glock now. I think long term issue will be the polymer magazine feed and wear from mag spring pressure slowly grinding down that thin guide surface.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD

I used to have a PMR-30 and after 2 trips back to FL and 2 sets of parts shipped for home repairs and it soured on me. Then there was the whole BS that went down with the CMR-30 w/ delay after delay after delay and then they jacked the MSRP up over $150 while you couldn't find one for under a grand for over 2 years. I said screw it! Sold the PMR, stopping caring about the CMR and went from 22 WMR to 17 WSM for rimfire fun.

To me, Keltec is just a polished Hi-Point....but it's still a turd. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom