• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Looking for recommendations on a base layer for stationary hunting. I have tried Under Armour in the past and I did not like the performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Wool. I have three sets, each a different thickness. I like LL Bean's stuff a lot. I also have a KUIU set that is great because it has an extra long chest zipper for cooling down after climbing a tree stand or setting decoys, and the pants completely unzip so that I can take them off without takin off my boots if I get hot.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Carol Davis Sportwear. I love mine. PAY ATTENTION to the sizing recommendations though. Don't be the guy who says "I'm an XL for everything", because you'll be disappointed.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    .mil ECWS.

I have the base layer and the middle layer. I'm not cold.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Carol Davis Sportwear. I love mine. PAY ATTENTION to the sizing recommendations though. Don't be the guy who says "I'm an XL for everything", because you'll be disappointed.

Just tried looking up the webpage for you, and it looks like she's out of business. Damn. Glad I have one.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i don't know any specific models, but anything Patagonia is great.

know you mentioned underarmour but have you tried their infrared thermo line, i like them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not sure if they still make this kind of thing, I use a longjohn that BPS made years ago (still wearing them) that had silver in them. The silver is long gone, but for the first couple years, if you sweated your gonads off, at the end of the day you took everything off, you felt as clean as if you had just taken a shower.

Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    My all time favorite is some mock Ts I got from Cabelas. They were some kind of special silk and medium heavy. They wore like iron and kept me warm in all kinds of situations. If it was brutal out, I'd layer UA skin tight, the Cabelas silk mock and then a FILSON wool long underwear zip neck top. Add a neck gaiter and good coat and you're bomb proof.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    I also have a Carol Davis union suit but yes they are out of business due to her death I believe. Other companies must make polartech type union suits. My outer layer is ulimate camo fleece pants and jacket. My base layers outside of real cold temps are medalist or cabelas.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I use first lite merino base layers. Look at minus 33 for a less expensive merino base layer.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Patagonia is my go to for high output activity - I have some capilene that's 10+ years old that is still holding up. They (Patagonia) do make heavier weight base layers and I would look into those for your purposes. Personally, for more stationary pursuits, I have had good luck with the UA 4.0.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Looking for recommendations on a base layer for stationary hunting. I have tried Under Armour in the past and I did not like the performance. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Way back when I was participating in an activity, skydiving, were we jumped through the winter. This was in the Metro DC area.

In the winter time I wore:
    - silk/wool sock liners
    - polypropolene long johns, tops and bottoms.
    - silk/wool glove liners

Silk/wool long underwear would have been too hot even when jumping from 12,500 feet where it was about -30*F. We hung out inside a airplane hanger it was heated with a propane heater to about 60*F. Silk/wool long underwear would have roasted you in the hanger. The polypropylene breathed and wicked away any sweat you expelled from movement and changes in heat.

The base layers we tried and used were, from warmest to not-warmest:

Silk
    Wool
    Polypropolene
    Cotton

We tended to layer with flexible fabric and not bulky faberic, sweat shirts and sweat pants were a last resort.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Under Armor for hunter is the biggest crock of crap I have ever seen. As a base layer its is good to remove moisture from your skin to help warm you, but that is all. The cold gear is just very expensive, very thin layering. It's a huge waste of money IMO. I can't stand wearing the Long sleeve shirts either

Fleece or wool is the best, IMO. Good fleece is expensive and cheap fleece works too but gets those little poly balls on it after time. I buy good fleece when its on sale or if I can drop Cabelas points on it.

Got a fleece pull over jacket at Walmart for $9.99 in camo one year and gave my daughter one too. We both us it for layering still. I wear a T, the Waly fleece, chamise shirt and a Berber jacket when its really cold.

I have polertec pants, fleece lined wader panels, layering underwear and size what I need for the cold. My day pack has my outwear bibs snapped in like a sleeping bag so I always have them with me.

I have a pair of these and they layer great. They only come up mid shin so they don't bulk up your boots. $15 to your door, you can't beat that.

guys try and make fun of me for it, but I carry blanket boots too. My day pack is a Military type with all the clip spots. I just clip then on the pack when its cold and I never have to quit because of my toes. My toes always get cold in any kind of boots.

EDIT, I forgot to add, I have a fleece Gator and when its cold I pull it over the top of my chamise shirt collar. It becomes like a gas check for your neck. It's amazing how much warmer it keeps me in the stand. Also how hot it makes me walking in or out. Its one small piece that makes an amazing difference.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Last year I hunted and the windchill was -5 late rifle. UA 4.0 base layer worked for me. I had a normal Tshirt on....then fleece and the thing that made the biggest difference to me, was a down jacket underneath my hunting parka. I felt like the Michelin man but my upper body stayed warm. Lower body is a different story....I'm going to look into some type of middle layer down pant and I'll be set for the coldest of days.

I will 2nd the over boots on the super cold days, they work great.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By coincidence , yesterday I happened to purchase multiple base layers, from two sources.

Ordered store brand from REI .

Generic poly from local surplus store .

I was focused on specific colors for work use , from REI . Brand name is " better " in being slightly thinner for same warmth, better cut, and lasts longer. But given price ratio of $49 vs $16 , generic gives better warmth for the buck .

Most of my routine use is light and medium weight . For those situations of sitting motionless in the cold , the usual sources offer a generic using .mil grade poly .

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I use first lite merino base layers. Look at minus 33 for a less expensive merino base layer.

+1
    I learned a tough lesson hunting in Trout Creek Montana in the rain for a week last October. It's expensive but well worth the money.

Wore my Cabalas Union suit the first day out and froze my ass off. Remainder of the week it was Merino wool.

Good Luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom