• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I probably know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. It would seem that start around 10am, I stop getting email notifications. Then about 5pm they start to trickle in. I receive some email notifications 10-12 hours after they've been posted.

Now, to where I'm sure I know the answer. I have Comcast. I've worked with them on many levels. Every time, they say they see nothing wrong. I ask them why is it that I'm receiving emails time stamped some 10 hours after I receive them. They usually say it's something wrong with the sender.

I've told them that no one else is complaining abut this except for Comcast customers. They have no answer.

Last time, they said they would monitor my activity and get back to me. Guess what, I never got that return call to find out what they found.

This happens every weekday. I probably only get 10-15 email notifications from 10am to about 5 pm.

Has anyone had any success finding out why this happens with Comcast accounts?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have FIOS and my emails come so fast that I get emails before some posters edit their posts mere minutes after they post.

Gotta be a Comcast thing.

sorry

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I am assuming that you are using a Comcast provided email account and not just referring to them being your ISP?

I've seen issues like this with other email services, and many times the issue can be traced to a specific server (or server cluster). I had to move on of my customers completely off Dreamhost due to lack of response on a very similar issue. Such problems are notoriously difficult to pin down and sometimes go unresolved for months or years. If the provider is particularly unmotivated you may just be SOL...

Keep in mind Comcast is not in the email business, their main concern will always be with content and their services as an ISP. I would not be surprised if they eventually make the same move as Verizon and get out of the email game all together.

I know this is a shooting forum, but I find that issues of security and privacy in the digital world cross paths with 2A issues on a regular basis, especially when it comes to encryption. Personally, I would never, ever, ever use an ISP provided email. Hell, I don't even use G-mail. Bots reading every word I type in order to sell me more worthless shit is not OK with me...I digress.

My advise, and yeah it really sucks, move your email to different provider. I could go on and on about this issue, but I'll leave it at that for now. Please let me know if you have any questions or want any additional information.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have FIOS and my emails come so fast that I get emails before some posters edit their posts mere minutes after they post.

Gotta be a Comcast thing.

sorry

Your response is a perfect example. The forum sent it with an 11:59am time stamp. I received it at 6:23pm today. I had another response that was sent at 9:50am today and I didn't get it until 6:22pm.

This is crazy.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    What happens if you email yourself? If there is a delay, they can still say the problem is with the sender, but that doesn't get them so easily off the hook :shrug:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What happens if you email yourself? If there is a delay, they can still say the problem is with the sender, but that doesn't get them so easily off the hook :shrug:

I get emails from other locations. It's just MDS where I have the problem.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I get emails from other locations. It's just MDS where I have the problem.
    I’ve had this problem when I signed up in March, my “Instant notifications” came in once daily, at 3:02 AM. The folks all told me it was a Comcast thing too. It seemed like it corrected itself for a good while, but since this past weekend now I get my “Instant notifications” at 3:02 AM every morning, just like it did before. I’m not sure what’s significant about that time, but I’m not ruling out Comcast yet again.

As you stated, no problems with any other source outside of MDS.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I actually have this problem with Fios(gmail account). I'll try to email a photo from my phone to my computer to upload here. Sometimes it takes a half a day to land in my in box. I realize this has nothing to do with this site. Never had that problem with Commycast. :shrug:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Very strange.I’m a FIOS customer and never experienced that.

Maybe it's my phone? Sometimes(but rarely) it shoots right on through. It's annoying. Sometimes I'll just open the same thread on my phone so I don't get snagged up. PITA!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I actually have this problem with Fios(gmail account). I'll try to email a photo from my phone to my computer to upload here. Sometimes it takes a half a day to land in my in box. I realize this has nothing to do with this site. Never had that problem with Commycast. :shrug:
    I have an Iphone 5s for work, does the exact same thing with photos, anywhere from 3 hrs to 2 days for one simple photo to get emailed from my Iphone to my own laptop or to someone else. My personal Samsung Galaxy S5 sends photos thru immediately. My work Iphone is setup using Gmail, my Galaxy is not. Seems like it’s a GMail issue perhaps.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter

I have an Iphone 5s for work, does the exact same thing with photos, anywhere from 3 hrs to 2 days for one simple photo to get emailed from my Iphone to my own laptop or to someone else. My personal Samsung Galaxy S5 sends photos thru immediately. My work Iphone is setup using Gmail, my Galaxy is not. Seems like it’s a GMail issue perhaps.

I sometimes see the same delays in yahoo mail. We're on verizon fios FWIW. I installed taptalk just to avoid the email photo step and it is much easier to post photos using taptalk to boot. No need to first upload the photo as an attachment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom