• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver

Nov 6, 2017
    Hello everyone. So, I started out going after deer and only deer. When I moved out of MD, I got really in to and good at spearfishing everything and gigging flounder (so if you leave MD and go south and want to stab some fish, let me know, I can point you in the right direction). What I haven't tried is going after some waterfowl. Not looking for anyone's spots, but I was thinking of trying some walk in areas to jump shoot some ducks this season if anyone has some suggestions of places to try out. The Maring, Monocacy, Sawmill, and Hugg-Thomas areas look pretty good from what I've seen on a map and walked through in the early fall. Also, if anyone doesn't mind a newbie tagging along and asking a some questions, I'm more than willing to haul gear and help clean the gear afterwards if you can fit another guy in your blind.:innocent0

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Hello everyone. So, I started out going after deer and only deer. When I moved out of MD, I got really in to and good at spearfishing everything and gigging flounder (so if you leave MD and go south and want to stab some fish, let me know, I can point you in the right direction). What I haven't tried is going after some waterfowl. Not looking for anyone's spots, but I was thinking of trying some walk in areas to jump shoot some ducks this season if anyone has some suggestions of places to try out. The Maring, Monocacy, Sawmill, and Hugg-Thomas areas look pretty good from what I've seen on a map and walked through in the early fall. Also, if anyone doesn't mind a newbie tagging along and asking a some questions, I'm more than willing to haul gear and help clean the gear afterwards if you can fit another guy in your blind.:innocent0
    I’ve deer hunted Maring, Sawmill, and Hugg-Thomas many times. Never saw any waterfowl there other than geese flying over, sometimes low enough to possibly pass shoot. Maybe an environment present for some wood ducks there within the streams, but I’ve not seen them anywhere in Carroll County, at least where I’ve hunted for 37 years. Jump an occasional Mallard in a few streams while hiking or hunting deer or rabbit. Not enough that I’d really go specifically for them. Others will hopefully have had better luck with this and point you in a better direction. Just my experience. Wish you luck.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Diver-- you might try going out with an outfitter for the first time to get some practical/tactical advice and so that you can have more success going out on your own.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Diver-- you might try going out with an outfitter for the first time to get some practical/tactical advice and so that you can have more success going out on your own.

I also recommend this. It also helps you ID birds before you shoot them, which is important.

diver

Nov 6, 2017
    Thanks for the response. As far as going with a guide/outfitter, that would be great. Unfortunately, going from a SCUBA instructor back to a science career with a mortgage doesn't leave a lot of disposable income. Guess if I can't tell what the duck is, then I won't shoot!

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If you go with a group of four it's not so bad--$100 for a day. And if it all works out, you'll have some "free" meals!

AtmosChem

Dec 21, 2020
    Recently moved to the area from MI, I'd be happy to fill a spot on a 4-man outing or meet this $75 guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom