• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I guess this question fits here as well as any other section. I picked up some Magpul AR-15 magazines yesterday and noticed that they have clip on covers. Do people generally use them once the magazine is loaded or only when it is empty. Sorry if this seems to be a stupid question, but until I got them home yesterday, I didn't even know that the covers existed.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The concern is that the constant spring pressure in a loaded Pmag will stress the feed lips.

It has been an issue with earlier generations of PMags.

Magpul regards them as dust covers, and they do have that protective function as well.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Thanks for the information. So what you are saying is that by putting them on a loaded magazine, it will possibly help to prevent feed lip issues?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks for the information. So what you are saying is that by putting them on a loaded magazine, it will possibly help to prevent feed lip issues?

That's my understanding. Personally, I use metal mags, but my father and brother in law have both had plastic mags (not sure of the brand) spontaneously unload themselves because the feed lips gave out.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The dust covers on Gen 1 & 2 MagPul PMags from what I’ve read were supposed to be reversible. Take off the the top & snap onto the bottom as a bumper plate or ranger-type plate. I only have Gen 3’s, and they DO NOT do this. Sadly, because I like that idea. I read that if you keep the PMags loaded you should keep the covers on, to keep the plastic from expanding over time however I also read there’s a lot of debate about that. I figure, what could it hurt?

Dodahdude

Ultimate Member
    Oct 3, 2009
    Andover, Kansas
    The dust covers on Gen 1 & 2 MagPul PMags from what I’ve read were supposed to be reversible. Take off the the top & snap onto the bottom as a bumper plate or ranger-type plate. I only have Gen 3’s, and they DO NOT do this. Sadly, because I like that idea. I read that if you keep the PMags loaded you should keep the covers on, to keep the plastic from expanding over time however I also read there’s a lot of debate about that. I figure, what could it hurt?

I learn something everyday! Good put. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom