• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thank you for all the greetings. I didn't know there were so many shooters nearby.

@JBinDC: I'm going Wed afternoon with a friend who hasn't shot before. I plan to go regularly and would like to meet. Please let me know if another time would be better. My schedule is flexible. .

Where do people around Silver Spring go aside from the PG Center, Gilbert's & MSAR? I would like to find a place where practical shooting is allowed.

Not sure if I can make it to PG Trap & Skeet today, but what time are you going in case I can make it work? I can definitely make it next week if not today.

I myself shoot indoor at The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick - enough that I'm now a member - and although I haven't been in quite sometime, I'm also a member of Greenbelt Gun Club, and shoot outdoor 100yd - 200yds at Associated Gun Club's (AGC)up in Marriottsville, in addition to PG Trap.

If the weather is bad, on a rare occasion I'll shoot at Maryland Small Arms Range in PG County, however ONLY on the long gun side 50yd, as that place can be a little "loose" on rules (safety), as well as air quality and general cleanliness.

Hope this helps, and hope to share some shootin time with ya in the future. --JB

filthyliberal

Apr 9, 2018
    I signed up for GB gun club last week and look forward on finishing that and the ACG orientation, so while not shooting there (yet), looking forward to in the good weather!

Thank you for all the greetings. I didn't know there were so many shooters nearby.

@JBinDC: I'm going Wed afternoon with a friend who hasn't shot before. I plan to go regularly and would like to meet. Please let me know if another time would be better. My schedule is flexible. .

Where do people around Silver Spring go aside from the PG Center, Gilbert's & MSAR? I would like to find a place where practical shooting is allowed.

The Machine Gun Nest only allow holster draw if you are a member and 'holster certified' (its $20 to get certified as a member). They have USPSA matches Sunday nights.

Heritage also requires "holster draw" certification. If you do their certification class prior to competing in an ASI match- its $30 for the "certification class". Their ASI matches are Weds evenings and I enjoy them

If you ever want to check out the Machine Gun Nest- let me know; I'm a member and guest pass is $10 :)

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Thanks for all the suggestions for places to shoot. There do seem to be a lot of options, just not very close.

I went to Maryland Small Arms Range this week and used their pistol range. People seemed friendly enough; there was little interaction which I guess is fine. I paid the $25 and did drills for a few hours. I did notice *lots* of brass on the floor, zillions of holes in the ceiling, minimal acoustic damping and usually some smoke in the air. There are several cameras in the range but I didn't see an RSO wandering around. Overall it was a decent experience.

Now I'll try Gilbert's which is fairly close. But they don't seem to be very popular. I guess I'll find out for myself. :-)

@JBinDC: Sorry I didn't see your message in time. I went to the PG Trap & Skeet on Wed afternoon. It was a nice day. I may go back this weekend. Is there a better way to get in touch than this forum?

How do people generally make arrangements to meet?

BTW, I'm glad I found this web site. You all seem to be great people.

Now I'll try Gilbert's which is fairly close. But they don't seem to be very popular. I guess I'll find out for myself. :-)

I've had mixed experiences at Gilberts- but the biggest thing (for me) is you HAVE to buy and use their ammo; at $15 a box for 9mm it gets $$$ quickly on top of range fees.
    Depending on what time you go, it can be pretty quiet and a good place to get some practice in- or it can be complete chaos with a lot going on.
    It depends on your outlook- there is an RSO but I've rarely seen one actually walking around in the range or watching people at all- again this may be a good thing for you or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom