• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I’m totally lost lol.

OP are you saying that precision is different than accuracy? If so, then I agree.

Basically it means lots of practice on any weapon makes or helps with bullet placement and that’s all. Too many people want to get in the weeds of things and they get off of the topic.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Basically it means lots of practice on any weapon makes or helps with bullet placement and that’s all. Too many people want to get in the weeds of things and they get off of the topic.

Hmmm, Idaknow what you mean by "off topic". I am confident and competent with any weapon in my arsenal. I know I can take any rifle, pistol, or bow, step into the woods and kill whatever I see needs killing. One shot. Time on the trigger is important confidence wise, I guess, but I've known plenty of people who shoot the hell out of their guns and can't apply that time to killing. Shot placement is never more important than when you are taking a live. Trigger time doesn't teach that. Real world experience is the best teacher.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Hmmm, Idaknow what you mean by "off topic". I am confident and competent with any weapon in my arsenal. I know I can take any rifle, pistol, or bow, step into the woods and kill whatever I see needs killing. One shot. Time on the trigger is important confidence wise, I guess, but I've known plenty of people who shoot the hell out of their guns and can't apply that time to killing. Shot placement is never more important than when you are taking a live. Trigger time doesn't teach that. Real world experience is the best teacher.

The post talks about practice and shot placement and not killing anyone. I did enough of that shit in the desert (3 tours).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The post talks about practice and shot placement and not killing anyone. I did enough of that shit in the desert (3 tours).
    Then maybe splain what you actually mean buy "bullet placement".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Then maybe splain what you actually mean buy "bullet placement".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

With enough training and practice, hitting a given target is relatively easy. Bullet placement is like play billiards, calling your shot with precision and no fryers. There was a point where Soldiers were being accused of executing Ragheads because they were taking them down in the middle of their foreheads or hitting them in the middle back of their heads but they were actually being shot at 50 meters and further.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With enough training and practice, hitting a given target is relatively easy. Bullet placement is like play billiards, calling your shot with precision and no fryers. There was a point where Soldiers were being accused of executing Ragheads because they were taking them down in the middle of their foreheads or hitting them in the middle back of their heads but they were actually being shot at 50 meters and further.

If all you have is a head shot...that's what you take(as in this .50 cal240 gr sabot just behind the eye). :shrug:

Attachments

• 4th buck.jpg
      4th buck.jpg
      145.1 KB · Views: 197

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Thank you for your service. What was your MOS? Unit? Years there?

You are in good company here. There are lots of others here who have served and continue to serve our country on active duty. Many of us are glad to provide our input when its appropriate but, all this nonsensical, pot-stirring stuff you're posting is not what we typically see from those claiming to have spent multiple tours in combat.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This thread went multi vector quickly .

But in the spirit of the first post -

" the real thing is the ability of the shooter to produce a first shot hit , with the intended & effective placement , using the particular firearm " .

Yes , * usually * the firearms are not the limiting factor IF , the firearm is at least somewhat suitable for the task at hand .

But some platforms can be more challenging to achieve due to ergonomics , or inherent nature of the design . ie , an Airweight J Frame is capable of 25yd head ( sized) shots , but is way more challenging to use to potential , than most service sized handguns . To further extreme , I could spit Redman farther than I could hit a 6in bull with a Raven .25acp .

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I tend to think of it as precision vs accuracy. Precision being the ability of the rifle, ammo and shooter combo to recreate shots with minimal difference in point of impact, regardless of where the impact is to the point of aim. Accuracy being the ability of the rifle, ammo and shooter combo to place shots onto the target at their intended point of impact (usually the point of aim, however sites can mechanically be adjusted to intentionally offset point of aim from point of impact).

Ultimately, shooters should strive to master a high level of precision and accuracy.

I interpreted the OP's post to say that a lot of folks like to brag about the precision of their rifles (e.g. they brag about their group sizes) but seldom talk about their accuracy and ability to place their shots on their intended point of impact.

https://sites.google.com/a/apaches.k12.in.us/mr-evans-science-website/accuracy-vs-precision

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Thank you for your service. What was your MOS? Unit? Years there?

You are in good company here. There are lots of others here who have served and continue to serve our country on active duty. Many of us are glad to provide our input when its appropriate but, all this nonsensical, pot-stirring stuff you're posting is not what we typically see from those claiming to have spent multiple tours in combat.

Not everyone that came back multiple times came back screwed up. My MOS was 11B then reclassed to 63H after my hip injuries. The units that were there is actually classified information. If you served message me for more details.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Correct practice makes you better at things? Consider my mind blown. ;-)

If this is meant to suggest that money/time spent on upgrading the tool could be more effectively spent on training/practice time, then yah. Most new shooters will see much more rapid improvement if they get a pretty solid gun to start with ($500 g19 or m&p will do just fine and will outshoot most shooters controlling them) and then invest in training to maximize their potential with the gun as is before moving on to any upgrades.

There is a level of training where you start to plateau with the current equipment and can start seeing gains from improving the equipment. Specificity is also a thing, so train how you'd like to perform in as authentic a setting as possible.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Not unlike "location, location, location"...I propose "conditions, conditions, conditions" are a major part of shooting.

When your old buddy adrenaline is coursing in your veins...

Then and only then will you find who is a shooter.

Hitting dots ain't always easy. Shooting silhouettes can be perplexing.

Put some life n death, mixed in maybe with some dark n stormy impacting consequence on the line and then you've got a ball game.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Which is more dangerous?

The man with a single shot firearm who knows how to use it.
    or
    The man with a semi automatic that doesn't.

We know the answer to that one, don't we. Ultimately, it comes down to the person behind the trigger. I believe this was the OP's point.

An accurate shooter should be capable of wringing out the best a particular weapon is capable of. And in that vein, a supremely accurate rifle in inept hands is no better than a club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom