First AR build: 20in Barrel w/ FSB? (and other parts related questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Hi.

BLUF:
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 20" barrel with a pinned fsb. Fairly accurate, with good durability. If I'm honest, I'm not well versed on barrel twist but my general understanding is that 1:9 is a good general purpose rate.

BACKGROUND:
    I'm having difficulty finding a 20" heavy profile Barrell with a pinned fsb. I did find one at Del-Ton, but the more I read about Del-Ton the more I worry about their quality. Other companies make them w/o offering pinned fsb as an option. Drilling the barrel for an fsb is about the only part of the build I don't think I'd be able to do myself.

Why 20"?:
    Admittedly this is mostly nostalgia. My next build will likely be a 16".

MORE:
    I'm in the early planning stages of my first build. Actually the first AR I'll actually own as a civilian (not that I ever "owned" anything while in service). My current parts list started as a "budget build" (including the Del-Ton barrel) and totalled just under $602, but I'm starting to realize that I'm going to have to get a bit pricier for a build I'll be happy with. I can post a the current parts list if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I have a Stag model 4, 20 inch rifle. They sell the barrel , it is 20" pinned fsb. They were 1-9 but I think they are 1-8 now. Not chrome lined. I like mine.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Del-Ton is OK for the money and JSE has given me good service. Buying a barrel with the FSB already mounted will save time and money in having it done for you. Installing a FSB isn't a DIY job for most people.

A 20 inch HBAR is a bit nose heavy. A fixed A2 stock helps to balance it out.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Del-Ton is OK for the money and JSE has given me good service. Buying a barrel with the FSB already mounted will save time and money in having it done for you. Installing a FSB isn't a DIY job for most people.

A 20 inch HBAR is a bit nose heavy. A fixed A2 stock helps to balance it out.
    I'm back and forth on going with Del-Ton. the price is tempting. I hadn't thought about the fixed A2 stock... but I am now.
    I have a Stag model 4, 20 inch rifle. They sell the barrel , it is 20" pinned fsb. They were 1-9 but I think they are 1-8 now. Not chrome lined. I like mine.
    Thanks! For some reason I missed that barrel when I first looked at Stag. $250 doesn't seem like a bad price either.
    I like the plan. Build one you want, and then build more later....never enough ARs!
    If the first build goes smoothly... It could be a problem ;)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you are looking for accuracy as your primary goal, then you dont want a pinned FSB. You want Clamp-On as it applies more uniform stress to the barrel. Same goes for Muzzle Devices, you want to keep the torque value low to reduce stress on the barrel.

If you want a good Heavy Barrel buy a Kreiger.

Im not saying a Taper Pinned FSB AR CANT shoot well, im just saying it increases the chance that it wont shoot well as does an improperly installed Muzzle Device.

If you want a Pinned FSB, I can install one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGUeIKBN_X/?taken-by=schooloftheamericanrifle

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    If you are looking for accuracy as your primary goal, then you dont want a pinned FSB. You want Clamp-On as it applies more uniform stress to the barrel. Same goes for Muzzle Devices, you want to keep the torque value low to reduce stress on the barrel.

If you want a good Heavy Barrel buy a Kreiger.

Im not saying a Taper Pinned FSB AR CANT shoot well, im just saying it increases the chance that it wont shoot well as does an improperly installed Muzzle Device.

If you want a Pinned FSB, I can install one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVGUeIKBN_X/?taken-by=schooloftheamericanrifle
    Chad, of course, you're right. But I swear to God you're the reason I want a pinned fsb in the first place. I'm sure I've seen you advocate for it before. If I weren't currently under the influence id be looking for a specific quote. Cheers. JC.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , in absolute accuracy , in a bbl otherwise capable of one hole groups , the clamp on block will provide less bbl stress.

But my Colt 20in factory bbl w/ pinned FSB will group sub-MOA . For me , for a std wt rifle , that meets my expectations of " plenty accurate enough " . Your expectations of "accurate rifle" can vary .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I have two AR’s with RRA barrels, both bearing a pinned FSB.. One a RRA 20” HBAR and the other a 16” HBAR. Both shoot under moa with preferred ammo and shoot good with blasting grade American make ammo...even PPU. The 20”, a full RRA rifle, is my go to accuracy AR. I have had two Colt barreled HBAR rifles...still have one, a 20” cut to 18”. Both shoot small lights out, both with pinned sights. Have/had a Stoner 16” gov’t profile barrel and two other pinned fsb rifles and they shot well fine but not quite as good as the RRA and Colt barrels. My first AR was a Bushmaster 14.5” with a welded muzzle device. Accuracy-wise...terrible, worst AR in the that department. I am sure it was the weld.

Not saying the pinned bases can’t be problematic...I haven’t dealt with that many AR’s. Just they are more likely to work well than not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, of course, you're right. But I swear to God you're the reason I want a pinned fsb in the first place. I'm sure I've seen you advocate for it before. If I weren't currently under the influence id be looking for a specific quote. Cheers. JC.

Absolutely pin for the sake of reliability and durability. It does stress the barrel though.

It's no guarantee that the process will cause problems, but I wanted to toss it out there.

Both methods have their own compromises.

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    Absolutely pin for the sake of reliability and durability. It does stress the barrel though.

It's no guarantee that the process will cause problems, but I wanted to toss it out there.

Both methods have their own compromises.
    Ah, I understand your point now. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jkasprz

May 7, 2017
    Annapolis, MD
    Hi.

BLUF:
    I'm looking for recommendations on a 20" barrel with a pinned fsb. Fairly accurate, with good durability. If I'm honest, I'm not well versed on barrel twist but my general understanding is that 1:9 is a good general purpose rate.

BACKGROUND:
    I'm having difficulty finding a 20" heavy profile Barrell with a pinned fsb. I did find one at Del-Ton, but the more I read about Del-Ton the more I worry about their quality. Other companies make them w/o offering pinned fsb as an option. Drilling the barrel for an fsb is about the only part of the build I don't think I'd be able to do myself.

Why 20"?:
    Admittedly this is mostly nostalgia. My next build will likely be a 16".

MORE:
    I'm in the early planning stages of my first build. Actually the first AR I'll actually own as a civilian (not that I ever "owned" anything while in service). My current parts list started as a "budget build" (including the Del-Ton barrel) and totalled just under $602, but I'm starting to realize that I'm going to have to get a bit pricier for a build I'll be happy with. I can post a the current parts list if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

I would be interested in see your current parts list. I want to build an AR but I am really new to this and your selections would be of interest.
    Thanks
    John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC82

USMC
    Nov 30, 2014
    Elkton
    I would be interested in see your current parts list. I want to build an AR but I am really new to this and your selections would be of interest.
    Thanks
    John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi John! Sure thing! Here's a link to the spreadsheet I've been keeping:

https://goo.gl/mYHqTy

feel free to make comments on the sheet, its setup to do that (that goes for anyone).

Keep in mind, I think much of this will change based on the feedback I've gotten here (and other research) -so you'll see me making updates. I should probably start including URLs for the parts as well.

-Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom