5.45 AK-74 Atlantic Receiver Build: Anyone in Maryland?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'm considering getting a Bulgarian AK-74 kit and barrel and a Atlantic Arms receiver to build myself a 5.45 AK 74 and I'm wondering: does anyone in Maryland build these kits? I have a lead to a manufacturer in Tennessee who does this but the cost would be a bit higher to me to set that up.

Also, anyone got recommendations on a semi FCG to use as well as a retaining plate?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I'm considering getting a Bulgarian AK-74 kit and barrel and a Atlantic Arms receiver to build myself a 5.45 AK 74 and I'm wondering: does anyone in Maryland build these kits? I have a lead to a manufacturer in Tennessee who does this but the cost would be a bit higher to me to set that up.

Also, anyone got recommendations on a semi FCG to use as well as a retaining plate?

If you live in MD, you cannot build an AK-74 on a receiver that you did not already own prior to 2013. Assuming you can legally build the rifle, Duffy's is associated with a builder who does good work but there aren't too many folks left in the state that would do it since there is exactly zero demand.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Not banned, picture taken from MSP website.
    Also, I believe Engage does 74 builds.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180511_082815.jpg
      20180511_082815.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 1,619

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Thanks for the notes on builders. And Rob, I had already checked the legality of Atlantic Arms receivers prior to posting this so I knew already they were perfectly legal. Maryland has some very weird loop holes for firearms; this is one of them.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    Thanks for the notes on builders. And Rob, I had already checked the legality of Atlantic Arms receivers prior to posting this so I knew already they were perfectly legal. Maryland has some very weird loop holes for firearms; this is one of them.

I sometimes wonder what criteria the MSP uses to determine what's banned and what's not. Seems completely arbitrary.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I sometimes wonder what criteria the MSP uses to determine what's banned and what's not. Seems completely arbitrary.
    I have no clue but usually it is based off of "How close it is to an original" and "can it share the same parts". Sometimes I feel MSP fudges things in our favor intentionally. Whatever the reason, it can be useful to know exceptions.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Happy to be proven wrong, I haven't checked the MSP site since 2014ish. Their criteria for what is a copycat or not is... inconsistent... but in this political environment happy to take whatever wins we can get.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Not banned, picture taken from MSP website.
    Also, I believe Engage does 74 builds.

attachment.php

Without any explanation in their determination, I'd make a reasonable guess that they are legal because it's still legal for an individual to build a pistol or SBR off those recievers.
    Building a rifle ad an individual would likely fall under a banned copycat or enumerated firearm.

Anything Engage build as a company is specific to their own builds and model numbers with regards to MSP approval.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Without any explanation in their determination, I'd make a reasonable guess that they are legal because it's still legal for an individual to build a pistol or SBR off those recievers.
    Building a rifle ad an individual would likely fall under a banned copycat or enumerated firearm.

Anything Engage build as a company is specific to their own builds and model numbers with regards to MSP approval.

If you go on Atlantic's website, the Altlantic Arms MFG AAM-74 refers to the rifles they build on their marked receivers:

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...polish-tantal-ak74-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...s/aam-romanian-ak-74-aim-detail.html?Itemid=0

The Arsenal SLR-104 and 106 are also not banned. Those are 5.45 and 5.56 74 style sidefolders.

attachment.php

I guess if you want to be safe, just do a copy of the 74's Atlantic builds (Tantal or AIMS-74 style) or an Arsenal-like Bulgarian sidefolder since they're specifically called out as not banned.

Attachments

• 20180514_084011.jpg
      20180514_084011.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 901

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom