• Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Lets you buy 1,000 more rounds of ammo.

Now your turn.

What does CLP do that Mobil 1 won't? (Other than giving you personal peace of mind)

Use butter. IDGAF. But to say something is better than something someone who has 100's of thousands of rounds under his belt without zero issues is ridiculous. Unless we are now in a science metallurgy forum. Then cool.

As I suspected, no answer.

As a personal preference you'd use a product with the word "gun" on the label over the same product with its generic name on the label and gladly pay more.

Just like the people who pay more for any big brand name vs the exact same product in a plain brown wrapper. A proud and true American!

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    "Not in some controlled, YouTube, scientific environment".....not sure what that means, but I for one have put some where in the area of 8-9000 rounds through several different ARs, with 'motor oil" as the only lube, and it works better than anything I've ever used before.

And I've never been on Youtube.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    "Not in some controlled, YouTube, scientific environment".....not sure what that means, but I for one have put some where in the area of 8-9000 rounds through several different ARs, with 'motor oil" as the only lube, and it works better than anything I've ever used before.

And I've never been on Youtube.

Never have had an issue with recommended manufacturer’s lubrication directives.

What’s your point?

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    oops

Attachments

• turbine oil.jpg
      turbine oil.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    500 rounds a year? With that little ammo, you don’t need any lube for your weapons.

The Military issues you weapons and you never have to buy them when they wear out. In my over twenty years of active duty service, I’ve seen a lot of worn out weapon just in training alone using CLP. From my experience I will not use CLP because it does not hold up to prolonged use, heat and friction but I will continue to use it if someone would buy me weapons when they wear out. I am now retired and I buy my own weapon out of my pocket and I will use the best product for machinery. If there is a NASA engineered lube oil out there that has been proven to work then I will use it. I would use the M1 Tank engine oil but it is not available to the public. Everyone seems to use CLP because the Military uses it but let us not forget that the Military buys from the lowest bidder and the vendor that make CLP is one of them.
    turbine oil.jpg

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Hoppes is actually a very good solvent. The mistake that a lot of people make with it; is to not let it sit long enough to break down carbon.

Yes sir, I too figured that out. What I do is run a wet patch through my bore and then let that cook while I go and clean everything else. Then I come back and hit the bore with a brush and finish up with more solvent patches until clean. Even on my highest round count days it rarely takes more than two or three patches after the brush especially on a chrome bore. As for the carb cleaner on the HK bits, that just a matter of convenience because it's a pain to get into all the nooks and crannies on the bolt head.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Meh. I have proof in the pudding. Not in some controlled, YouTube, scientific environment. People dig motor oil because they don't have enough rounds with non motor oil to give an educated, real life use opinion. I don't down talk those walking dead. Their Jim Jones LIVES!

You win the best post of the day prize right there!! :lol:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Never have had an issue with recommended manufacturer’s lubrication directives.

What’s your point?

I think his point is you're wasting money on "gun" lube. Someone using fancy jargon to say "I've never had an issue with gun lube" should be able to figure that out.

I guess we gave you too much credit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think his point is you're wasting money on "gun" lube. Someone using fancy jargon to say "I've never had an issue with gun lube" should be able to figure that out.

I guess we gave you too much credit.

:rofl:

Zinnnnng!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    0W20 Mobile 1 and/or CLP. Along with a light coating of lithium high temp grease on BCH wear points. For ARs My 10/22 I use a thin layer of Teflon spray and then wipe it down.

Most others I use 0W20. Haven’t lubed my Garand because one has not been assigned to me yet (come on CMP! Just twiddling my thumbs at this point!). I plan to use high temp lithium grease on that on the librication points. My M1 carbine I use the oil and it functions great.

For barrels I use some CLP or hoppes on the last patch after cleaning the bore for everything for a light coating to protect it.

I either use remoil or 0w20 to protect the finish on the outside of guns. My collection is small enough it isn’t that much of a pain to break them all out every couple of months and give them another light coat and put them back. That’s about the frequency I have to recharge the dehumidifier that is in my gun safe (my basement dehumidifier sits 2 feet from my gun safe and keeps it at 50% humidity in my basement all year (except in the winter time where it tends to drop to about 40%)).

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    0W20 Mobile 1 and/or CLP. Along with a light coating of lithium high temp grease on BCH wear points. For ARs My 10/22 I use a thin layer of Teflon spray and then wipe it down.

Most others I use 0W20. Haven’t lubed my Garand because one has not been assigned to me yet (come on CMP! Just twiddling my thumbs at this point!). I plan to use high temp lithium grease on that on the librication points. My M1 carbine I use the oil and it functions great.

For barrels I use some CLP or hoppes on the last patch after cleaning the bore for everything for a light coating to protect it.

I either use remoil or 0w20 to protect the finish on the outside of guns. My collection is small enough it isn’t that much of a pain to break them all out every couple of months and give them another light coat and put them back. That’s about the frequency I have to recharge the dehumidifier that is in my gun safe (my basement dehumidifier sits 2 feet from my gun safe and keeps it at 50% humidity in my basement all year (except in the winter time where it tends to drop to about 40%)).

Give G96 a try. Good stuff. HIGHLY recommend it:

https://www.amazon.com/G96-1055P-Co...pID=41hNKOWFTfL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

..and it's not motor oil :innocent0

Jul 1, 2012
    Obviously a touchy topic and sensitive personal choice.
    (disclosure: I like .45 and 1911's better)

That's what I use for cleaning in some applications (and Hoppes, Kroil depending) and preserving (e.g. wipe down inside and out for storage).
    Recommended to me by a couple of collectors with multi-million dollar stashes so figure it's probably ok for my paltry pile.

I typically use C&S Reliability lube on slide etc for lubrication and it works fine for me.
    The $10 bottle lasts me a year or two.

I've tried to like CLP but IMHO it just doesn't seem to do any of the 3 individual things for me as well as dedicated stuff, especially cleaning.
    Most of what I have is old and received in dirty, rough shape so my experience may vary from you guys with your fancy new Glocks and whatnots. :)

Synth motor oil would probably be fine but not willing to test the theory for the old high-polish and/or valuable stuff and any possible long-term effects.
    STP... nah gonna do it.... even if it is the racer's edge.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Folks....can we not simply discuss the topic and leave the personalities out of it?

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    This thread is interesting.... interesting enough I just bought this... :o It has two cans of AUTOMATENFETT! I've used a LOT of CLP, love it and a barrel of synthetic Mobil Jet ll, hey it was free.

Attachments

• cleaner.jpg
      cleaner.jpg
      76.9 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom