• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    That's a real beauty you snagged, btw. Super clean.

I have several sks variants in similar condition, but I'm still a HUGE sucker for the been-there-done-that surplus sks carbines like the OP picked up.

jrhzn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2017
    Hard to tell for certain, but the arsenal stamp looks like it could be /636\

Serial data show that /636\ was one of the last arsenals to produce the standard configuration, mil-spec type56 in China. Evidence shows that /636\ produced at least until (1981) or the 26th year of production. Arsenal stamp and
    五六式 designation ceased entirely in 1984-- which indicates or suggests that military production ended in that year.

Thanks for the info! Once it is in my hands i’ll take some high def pictures pist them.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    YUP, me too. Character. Is there any special care for the wood stock.

You can.draw a lot of the excess Cosmoline out with variuos heat treatments. And then lift some of the dents and dings with steam.

Most surplus collectors will frown on sanding, but I've seen some stock refinish jobs that involved little or no sanding.

...or leave it like it is. If it's anything like the standard Albanian cache carbines, there's probably enough cosmoline in the stock grain for three or four rifles

Last edited:

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    So how do people do steam, not sure i have any reason to but still interested in the process.

Various ways. I've done it once on a very beat up stock.

I used a hot iron over a wet Terrycloth towel

You can Google it or find vids on YouTube

IV8888 had a how to video some years back
    It should still be there.

Cranky

Aug 2, 2010
    The Right side of the Bay
    Here is one of mine, a Navy Arms "Paratrooper".

Attachments

• 20190708_193906.jpg
      20190708_193906.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 104
    • 20190708_193923.jpg
      20190708_193923.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 117

Chrsnel

Mar 1, 2019
    North east md
    They are reliable, cheap to shoot, easy to operate and fun. They only come in 7.62x39 and can cost anywhere from $300 +.

I had two, a commercial Norinco and a Romanian surplus. Both rifles. The Romanian was much nicer even in its highly used state. They have good heft, balance well, decent sights, are reasonably accurate (4" clays at 100 yards were as 'dead' as they were 'safe') and long shooting sessions are a piece of cake. I like the cleaning rod attachment as well. I didn't buy just because of that but it is always there.

Other items about the rifle I like.....

Nice recoil impulse, my son who is still small for 15 can operate with no discomfort short of the length of pull.

Accurate out of the box if you can see far enough with iron sights. There is a Tech Sight kit that can be added to make even more accurate. Changes the overall look of the rifle, so personal decision on looks vs. accuracy.
    https://www.tech-sights.com/sks-products/

Last shot bolt hold open is nice feature.

Ammo is cheap, however stripper clips are somewhat expensive. Not a deal breaker by any means. For "true capacity" reference "Spinal Tap". No I will not elaborate.

And finally... If you use for self defense and run out of ammo, you can execute a last ditch bayonet charge quite easily with the fold-able kill stick up front.... ;)

Overall recommendation - Find a nice one and put it in your collection.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm slowly leaning more. I don't own anything in 7.62

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Yeah just like that one. Did a search and it didn’t come up. That’s cool.

By the way, you have some amazing entries in there.

Thank you, i still have most of them. My collection would not be anything without the help of some of the members on this board that got me started.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That IS my favorite of the Albanians and prob all the SKS rifles in the collection to tell the truth.

There is just something about that one. The look. The honest wear. I love it. You are lucky to own it.

I’ll own an Albanian soon enough if I keep going I’m sure. Sadly I’ll have to pay a fortune for it now.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    There is just something about that one. The look. The honest wear. I love it. You are lucky to own it.

I’ll own an Albanian soon enough if I keep going I’m sure. Sadly I’ll have to pay a fortune for it now.

Yeah Albanian SKS prices have gotten insane, I sold my 78 Albanian to a Old member here for what i paid for it 400 or 425 a few years back. Now look at them. Its crazy but good for him reaping the benefits as i have bought many of his rifles in the past and done the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom