• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    How much velocity does it take to kill a woodchuck? I shoot them in my back yard with a bow.

Nice! I'm sure it's not what i'm throwing at it... i want proper expansion (or fragmentation w/e) for ethical shots. Of the couple hundred i've shot in the last 4 years, i've only had 2 present themselves under 100y. 80% are 180-330y and the remaining are 500 - 550y. The two that were closer were caught by surprise and the vultures thanked me for the lack of effort they had to put forth for lunch that day.

Do i NEED them to go fast/far.. no.. but if i can setup my sun blocking umbrella, chair and a good book.. i can sit there all day and cover the full field with one load/rifle. I was using 300win mag for it.. so i can also cull the deer as opportunity presents itself (crop damage permit) but... it does a heck of number on them under 200y.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    It's.. right up there with a published max of 23.5 from hodgdonreloading website. their test barrel is 24" (like mine) and used 23.5gr w/ a speed published of 2,829. that being said, they also have a 2gr spread (21.5 to 23.5) and a spread of JUST over 200fps.

Using a spreadsheet, it LOOKS like.. there's a fps gain of 10.95 per 1/10th of grain with this powder/bullet combo. Assuming there's a liner progression in acceleration (i doubt there is) i'm looking at maybe 2774 fps..

HOWEVER.. there's a lot of assumptions there which are all based off a website's data that i've never found to be "spot on" to start with but it's a good starting point i suppose.

You seem like you know what your doing ( no offensive, we just don't know each other). What bullet are you using, brass, primer, seating depth.? This all factors in to pressure and speed. When your 75's are gone, try 77's. I'm getting 2780 on my 20" barrel and will shoot cleans at the 300 yard high power target.

I had a 75 vld Berger load at 2830 in my 20" with 4895

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    You seem like you know what your doing ( no offensive, we just don't know each other). What bullet are you using, brass, primer, seating depth.? This all factors in to pressure and speed. When your 75's are gone, try 77's. I'm getting 2780 on my 20" barrel and will shoot cleans at the 300 yard high power target.

I had a 75 vld Berger load at 2830 in my 20" with 4895

No offense taken. Sometimes i post on here because i'm not sure, sometimes i post because i need to slow down and think about it. The best way to think (for me) is to try to get someone else to understand the problem/concern. Most of the time, i find the solution while asking but it's worth hitting POST anyway in case someone else has a similar problem/question OR.. in case i'm way off my rocker and i'm wrong as plastic bags making great space helmets (they dont btw).

i picked up the 75gr a while back because they were there and "why not try it". that was about a year ago then i never shot them because i had the 55gr that was doing fine. I noticed the wind was kicking it all over at 530 yards though. 308 and 300 win mag had no problem. I'm trying the 75gr to see if it'll maintain consistency out to 550. It's super close to the same zero as my 55gr load.

bullet: Hornady 75gr HPBT Match

brass: LC once fired range brass cause i'm cheep hahaha(mil crimp reamed out etc etc) full length (not small base)

primer: small rifle (not magnum). standard CCI small rifle (forget the # atm)

seating depth: i forget the number but its right at the edge of the magazine.. if i give the seating die another 1/4 turn of length.. the bullet rubs on the magazine and doesn't fit. i didn't want crushed/packed powder and it had to fit in a magazine.

The goal for me and this rifle, is to get the heaviest bullet that stabilizes... as fast as i can (safely) while still holding sub moa in an OCW load. 85% of the time, it's paper/gong shooting..from 25-300 yards. 15% it's groundhogs out to 100-550yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom