• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You should stock up on Fish meds so you can make sure your aquarium is healthy for that rainy day.

http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-antibiotics.html

You know I almost suggested that, its pharmaceutical grade (how long to they ban that). Wouldn't want to take it unless I had to, but given no other options its better than dying from a splinter.

I keep a couple bottles around for the aquariums (and yes I mean real, largeish aquariums) but they will be one of the first things to go in the BOB if things get crazy.

Cost effective too

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-mox-100pk-250-mg-tablet

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-pen-250-mg-60-count?sc=10&category=2758
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-cillin-250mg-100-tablets?sc=10&category=2758

Just make very sure that you and your family are not allergic to these antibiotics and keep records of any dosages given by physicians for past ailments.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    This is my biggest problem with SHTF scenarios.

I have a sinus condition that causes me to get 2-5 sinus infections a year. Without 4-gen (or better) ABX I am screwed. I'm trying to convince my ENT doc to do the surgery but he says I don't have enough infections per year to qualify.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    meds SHTF

Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Shelf life on everything but doxycycline should be decades.

or just kidnap you :)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This is who we use for animals. Most antibiotics are restricted to Rx only but would be a source for syringes, needles, and other equipment.
    http://www.valleyvet.com/

Tractor Supply also sell vet supplies.

Provodone Iodine is also useful for disinfecting and can be used to purify water. Vet supplies or Dollar General.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I have used this sight http://www.alldaychemist.com/ to get antibiotics and diabetic drugs without perscriptions.

Alotta India sourced "medications" there. I wouldn't trust my health/life to a site like that. I also wouldn't self-treat unless there was absolutely no other option. Otherwise, you could end up like this fool. Had he used common sense and just went to a medical doctor on day-one, he likely wouldn't had any reason to do the video.

Still, if you're gonna rely on a "prepper book" for medical advice, at least select a book written by a team of medical doctors.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Can the shelf life of Doxycycline be extended by storing it in a freezer?

I refrigerate, not freeze, all of my SHTF meds.

I think doxycycline (and tetracycline) might become toxic when old, and that's the real issue. That's what a pharmacist told me anyway.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    You know I almost suggested that, its pharmaceutical grade (how long to they ban that). Wouldn't want to take it unless I had to, but given no other options its better than dying from a splinter.

I keep a couple bottles around for the aquariums (and yes I mean real, largeish aquariums) but they will be one of the first things to go in the BOB if things get crazy.

Cost effective too

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-mox-100pk-250-mg-tablet

http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-pen-250-mg-60-count?sc=10&category=2758
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/fish-cillin-250mg-100-tablets?sc=10&category=2758

Just make very sure that you and your family are not allergic to these antibiotics and keep records of any dosages given by physicians for past ailments.

It's too bad that most of the fish abx are amoxicillin or penicillin. They're not that effective. On the other hand, it depends on the organism. Not a bad idea to have around for certain things but I would really want Bactrim and Moxifloxacin (or similar) in my arsenal.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    There was a doc that was coming to the hagerstown prepper show that would do a quick history on you writr a scrip and then sell you a good assortment of shelter meds that he selected for long shelf life. I wonder if he is still around? I have quite a large shtf med box as a result. Google shelter meds?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It's too bad that most of the fish abx are amoxicillin or penicillin. They're not that effective. On the other hand, it depends on the organism. Not a bad idea to have around for certain things but I would really want Bactrim and Moxifloxacin (or similar) in my arsenal.

You can get Bactrim and Moxifloxacin for fish and/or birds.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Good question. Procurement is the biggest problem for most folks. Sometimes you can find a prepper friendly doctor. May be tough, but doesn't hurt to ask. Veterinary supply shops should be a good source.

I keep a few antibiotics around for SHTF. You need a few to over the majority of scenarios you could encounter. You also need some knowledge on what to treat. In normal times people love going to the doctor for "sinus infections" and "bronchitis". They get antibiotics and often complain they aren't strong enough and didn't work. They don't work because 90-98% of these infections are viral. Studies show that even the bacterial sinus infections get better with no antibiotics. You won't want to waste your precious resources on these. If people have just a cough, productive of ugly stuff with a fever it may be pneumonia. I imagine if SHTF this will become much more common. That is worth treating. Skin infections are likely to be the most common thing encountered.

Doxycycline - This is a good all-around antibiotic. Great for SHTF because it treats respiratory infections, skin infections (including most strains of MRSA) and tick borne diseases like Lyme. Bad because unlike many antibiotics, it actually has a shelf life. I wouldn't use this more than 3 years beyond factory expiration date. Probably 5 years beyond expiration noted on the bottle. One twice a day for 10 days. Even though the recommendations for Lyme say treat for 21 days, 10 is sufficient.

Ciprofloxacin/levofloxacin/moxifloxacin - cousins, but levofloxacin and moxifloxacin cover more. Good for pneumonia, urinary tract infections, intra-abdominal infections (diverticulitis), bacterial diarrhea, and also treat anthrax, if that is an issue.

Bactrim (TMP/SMZ) - Another good "workhorse". If I could pick only one, this would be it. Treats skin infections (including most strains of MRSA), respiratory infections like pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, urinary tract infections.

Metronidazole -Use in combination with Bactrim or any of the -floxacin antibiotics for penetrating abdominal wounds. Use by itself for parasitic infections like amebic dysentery.

Tamiflu - May be useful. I have it because I can, but probably the least important thing. If you have a group and the flu hits, quarantine those people who have it. If you have very young or very old folks, they may be worth treating. If I were in a SHTF scenario and I got the flu, I wouldn't take it for myself.

Shelf life on everything but doxycycline should be decades.

The only one I would add is Clindamycin for oral infections. Skin or respiratory likely will be the most common, but oral infections can be more disabling at times.

Supplies of Tamiflu have increased so more readily available now than a month ago.

There are online vet sites that preppers get their 'fish' antibiotics from that are all USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia), same quality standards as human meds.

Dec 31, 2012
    Don't rule out penicillin or amoxicillin. They still work fine against many things. In a SHTF scenario hygiene is going to suffer and open you up to infections that might otherwise be avoided. Penicillin for me has been just fine for dental problems and amoxicillin still kicks 'real' sinus infections for my kid. That being said you still need some diversity in the antibiotics to cover you for the resistant strains. Keep in mind many of the resistant strains are acquired from other people and hospitals(nosocomial infections). Presumably under a SHTF scenario you're not going to be hanging out at the hospital or in the gym locker room trading socialized germs.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Don't rule out penicillin or amoxicillin. They still work fine against many things.

The only one I would add is Clindamycin for oral infections. Skin or respiratory likely will be the most common, but oral infections can be more disabling at times.

While we are on this topic, what think ye about Amoxicillin or Augmentin for oral infections? I was under the impression that they should work against the typical organisms you would find in the mouth. That's the main reason I stocked those two. Is Clindamycin preferred?

Dec 31, 2012
    While we are on this topic, what think ye about Amoxicillin or Augmentin for oral infections? I was under the impression that they should work against the typical organisms you would find in the mouth. That's the main reason I stocked those two. Is Clindamycin preferred?

I'm not a doc and chose what I stocked based on personal experience and lots of reading (my previous job kept me familiar with bacteria).

Here's a nice guide to mouth infections and antibiotic choices for treatment.
    http://www.dentalcare.com/en-US/den...oduleName=coursecontent&PartID=4&SectionID=-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom