• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I have watched videos of how to clean Savage bolts but I would like to take mine to a gunsmith. I am concerned that the back piece of the bolt seems to unscrew. I just want to get a professional to OK the bolt and clean it in the process.

Thanks,
    Eric

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I have watched videos of how to clean Savage bolts but I would like to take mine to a gunsmith. I am concerned that the back piece of the bolt seems to unscrew. I just want to get a professional to OK the bolt and clean it in the process.

Thanks,
    Eric
    What area are you in?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Which Savage rifle are you wanting to disassemble? The 10/110 bolts are easy to work on. Don't know enough about any other models to help. But if you're only wanting to clean it, a bunch of CLP should work well enough. Are you having any problems or just wanting to clean it. An Ultrasonic cleaner would do well too. Mine broke or I'd offer the use of mine.

Also, you may want to add your location to your name. It will make it easier for folks to help when they know what area you live.

Good Luck!

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Thanks for the responses.

I live in the Western part of Howard County Maryland. The rifle is a Savage 10 FCPK.

Thanks,
    Eric

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    No real reason to disassemble that bolt unless it absolutely filthy. Soak it in a cleaner and you should be fine. But if you do decide to take it apart, there's not much to them.

Good Luck!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    One recommendation if you do decide to disassemble the bolt. Use your phone and video each step. Then you will have something to go on to put it back together in the event you need help.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    One recommendation if you do decide to disassemble the bolt. Use your phone and video each step. Then you will have something to go on to put it back together in the event you need help.

This is great advice. When disassembling something you can't find exact instructions step-by-step online, take pictures of every piece you so much as move. Then you know exactly how everything goes together.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Savage says don't disassemble anything, but most manufacturers say that. The first thing I do with my bolts is tear em down (don't have any savages anymore) to remove all the factory grease/exxon valdez leakage/nastiness if they are factory rigs. Custom receivers I have never needed to do this. If you are uncomfortable tearing down the bolt for fear of reassembly issues, a good mineral spirits soak followed by aerosol brake clean flush would likely do you just fine, as JH suggests. Just lightly lubricate the outside surfaces and use decent gun oil on the lug mating faces when done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom