• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gorgeman

Apr 23, 2013
    SIG is a dependable weapon the downside is when they started using sub contractors for parts I think this happened 6 years ago

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yes, it's fully adjustable. If you think the trigger is good now wait till you adjust it. Turn it till the hammer won't drop then back it out, with pressure on the trigger, until the hammer falls. Then turn it 1/4 more. According to Bruce Grey that is the optimal setting. Also, the first run of Legions came with a 17lb hammer spring. Rumor has it Sig changed it to 20lb which is what is in the standard P226. I don't know how you check what the weight is but greyguns.com sells the 17lb spring. Trigger is so responsive and light I won't put it in the self defense safe near the bed. I told my wife, because of this, we are forced to get another gun.

For hammer springs - I’ve tried them all. I don’t recall where but I picked up between 15 and I believe 20 pounds.. Don’t hold me to it but I think stock is 21. I found 18 to be the perfect weight. With 17 I occasionally had a light strike. Thats never occurred with the 18. All of my 226’s with the exception of the SAO have it... The SAO doesn’t need it - the trigger pull is perfect as is...

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Virgil, keep the P226. I'm sure Sig will get it sorted. As someone said already, you will lose big money to get out of the 226. But, if you do. Look at the Bereetta elite LTT model 92. That is a sweet pistol.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    For hammer springs - I’ve tried them all. I don’t recall where but I picked up between 15 and I believe 20 pounds.. Don’t hold me to it but I think stock is 21. I found 18 to be the perfect weight. With 17 I occasionally had a light strike. Thats never occurred with the 18. All of my 226’s with the exception of the SAO have it... The SAO doesn’t need it - the trigger pull is perfect as is...
    I tried the 17lb hammer spring with various recoil springs. The lowest being 11lbs. I had no failures but I also couldn't tell the difference between the lightest and heaviest recoil spring. I recently replaced the hammer spring. I believe it is the same as the stock one. I got the Legion in the first year of production. There are subtle differences in the early models vs later. The grips are one. I don't think I've had anything different than a 17lb hammer spring.

Anyway, to the OP, keep it. It'll be fine with use.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Sorry to push this thread in another direction as I'm currently looking at Sig 226RM-9-LEGION. I'm curious why a number of you have the SAO vs the DA?

Thanks in advance!

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Thanks guys. Ya was looking at a Ruger security nine. Nice reset on trigger feels good. Was very happy with the Sig butttt. Wish I would have just taken it to a local gunsmith probably would have had it back by now. I know it’s under warranty and I would have had to pay if I did not send it back to them but I sure dislike the wait. I was talked out of the Berreta M9 which I am very familiar with . Shot my friends Sig and liked it. For now just have to keep the dust off the ole 1911 till I get her back . 9 is justinexpensive to shoot compared to that. Thank you again for the feedback it was reassuring and don’t want to take a price loss that’s for darn sure.

The Ruger Security 9 is a great gun you should be able to find for right around $300. I got rid of my SIG 226 Legion DA and got a Glock model 45 (the new one in 9mm). I have a security 9 too and love it. It's basically a poor man's Glock 19 but it fits better in my hand and has a nice trigger.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Sorry to push this thread in another direction as I'm currently looking at Sig 226RM-9-LEGION. I'm curious why a number of you have the SAO vs the DA?

Thanks in advance!

The SAO has a lighter trigger. Makes for a better target gun. I have the DA/SA myself. The trigger is still phenomenal. I like the option to have it ready to fire condition 2 DA.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county

Thanks in advance!

For me, I have a number of DA/SA 226's so I tried something new (SAO) as a folks were clamoring about. Having both - this is how I see things. The SA/DA is probably your better carry or home defense weapon. The SAO is probably better if you're familiar with 1911's or if you want a fantastic range gun. In practicing with the SAO, I've come to realize that I'm a bit more accurate with a flat trigger than a curved trigger. With curved, I tend to push my shots a tad left. I don't have that same issue with the SAO which is why I replaced some of my SA/DA triggers with the adjustable GG.

I tried the 17lb hammer spring with various recoil springs. The lowest being 11lbs. I had no failures but I also couldn't tell the difference between the lightest and heaviest recoil spring. I recently replaced the hammer spring. I believe it is the same as the stock one. I got the Legion in the first year of production. There are subtle differences in the early models vs later. The grips are one. I don't think I've had anything different than a 17lb hammer spring.

Anyway, to the OP, keep it. It'll be fine with use.

For the 17#er - my view is this. It works 95+-% of the time but depending on ammo (cheaper target stuff) you might get a light strike. I've spoken to a number who know more than I and that seems to be the consensus. I haven't followed the Legion SA/DA trends but if they jumped back to a 21 from a 17 - that's probably why (reliability with different ammo). If it works for you, use it.

For the perfect Sig - this is my take. If you don't have the SRT, get it. For the $ it's a no brainer. Next are the sights - do what works for you. My previous post had what I like. Hammer spring - reduce from stock (and potentially replace the plastic retainer with a metal one). Trigger - this one is probably the most subjective. I like the flat triggers. The short reach is good but flat GG is better. Upgrade the grips to Hogue G10. I've done a bunch more to mine (slide mills for RMR) and a number of all that - but it's not worth it. I have slides setup for RMR and the Romeo - and I'll be honest, I think I like the Romeo better. There's more visibility through although clearly the RMR is better constructed - like a tank. I've upgraded a bunch else - like solid guide rods and all that but it really didn't change things...

And since I went on a rant - back to the original poster. Keep the 226 (and if you don't - send me a note and I might be interested for the right $ :party29:). I have Sigs, Berettas, S&W, H&K, Springfields, Glocks, CZ and more and my Sigs are my favorite... I agree with the one poster about the 92 - but instead of the LTT, I personally like the Wilson 92's. There's one in my future.:innocent0 Just don't tell the wife...

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have had the same 226 for 20 yrs and it is excellent. Found sig service really good also when the frame on my 25 yr old 220 cracked. Telephoning back and forth with the tech was like buying a fishing rod at the old hardware store ( 50 yrs ago). They will want to make it right. Call and speak with someone. See how it goes. Not to start a controversey, but sig’s 226 is in a different league than glock ( my EDC is a glock so i am not knocking it).

skipidar

Sep 19, 2018
    [MESSAGE=pilot25;5402979]+1. The message was: "My P226 Legion is the finest shooting handgun I own. Sig makes a good product. Give them the chance to make it right." [/MESSAGE]

Actually, the HK P2000SK 9mm is the finest shooting handgun I own, but my Sig P226 Hunter 10mm is way ahead of whatever is in second place, and though it suffers from the same defect with the rear sight that is now common to some Sig Hunter owners, I second the idea that Sig makes a good product and should be given a chance to make it right. We all deserve a chance to make things right, Sigs or not.

Oops, I misspoke! I should've said P220 Elite for the Hunter, instead of P226. My mistake. When I got to be my age I began to make more of them (mistakes, that is). I can still shoot straight, though, at least more often than not.

Last edited:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I have gone through a bunch of handguns, and full disclosure: I have owned more Glocks by far.

The original 226 I thought was too beefy around the grip, but the newer Legion and other models with a modified grip are really nice. The newer Sigs based on the 226 are some of the best designs out there, with a sweet DA/SA trigger. Personally I'd stick with the Sig if I could only own one. Glocks are ubiquitous, which at this point is their only real advantage... they never won any awards in the trigger pull department although the consistency of no safety, same pull every time has its advocates.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    Well....all you have to do is check out my handle and you'll figure out how *I'M* going to respond...:D

I bought my P226 in 1993. W. German manufacture. 1000s of rounds through it and not a single failure. Ever. No matter what the ammo, it never FTF'd or FTE'd. So I bought a Mosquito to teach my daughter. Not the best gun in the world. It didn't do well with anything other than CCI mini-mags. But, I was buying those in bulk, anyway...so it wasn't an issue. I tried a few different ammo types when I first bought it (because I had heard the rumors about it having expensive tastes) and I found out the rumors were true. That was until I had about 500'ish rounds through it. After that, I could put anything through it except for the Win. XX (with the wobbly bullets). But it really liked the mini-mags so I stuck with them. When it was time for my daughter to step-up to the 9mm, it was easy for her because everything was in the same place. She was comfortable with the 226 from the get-go. I picked up a 320, which I like well enough. Then I picked up a 220 in .45 (also German mfr.). According to the guy I got it from (who had it since new, I believe...got it in the early '90s, too), never a failure. I've put about 500 rds through it and never had a problem.

With all of that said, the U.S. mfr. Sigs don't seem to be as reliable IMHO. They're not my faves (while the 226 and the 220 ARE). I wanted a 226 since the second I fired one (1986) and when I got mine, I knew it was for life. I had Sig re-coat the slide and put new sights on it (which they did in about 3 weeks total). Other than that, I've never had to do anything to it.

As for Glocks and M9s....I've never been a Glock guy (my brother is a HUGE Glock fan). They just never felt right to me. The only Glock that I've ever liked is my friend's 26SF (.45). I have many friends who love their Glocks; they're inexpensive and they just work and work. I've never liked the M9. In the military I only fired it the first day and hated it (yes, I know, "armory gun/p.o.s.") then I found out I could qual with my 226 since the Army issued it to certain units. So I brought it to the range and fired all the free ammo I could. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom