• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If you can wait a couple of years. Took my wife shooting for the first time last week. Finally. Pulled a revolver (Colt OP) out of my range bag to show her how to shoot it and she freaked out.

She knew I’d bought a handgun before. She had thought I’d only bought one. And I had just shown her how to shoot the other one.

She is scared of guns (former die hard liberal anti-gunner).

Precipitated a massive fight. She only knew of 3 of the guns I had bought over the last year (I had bought 11...and told her subsequently of 6). As I told her, I was mostly leaving her alone about stuff she was spending money on and figured she was doing the same.

Anyway, I need to down size by a few guns and keep some of the other handguns I collected on the down low. Also show less interest in guns for awhile. Let her cool down and get a bit more comfortable with things. Only been owning and collecting about 3 1/2 years now.

Not sure if things will change. As she said, once the kids are grown up and out of the house, so long as I don’t bankrupt us, she probably will stay out of it and I can do whatever I want and she probably doesn’t want to know.

Until then, I had better tell her (her words) about any damned gun or gun thing I buy.

I may never be able to grow out of my 25 gun safe...time will tell (VERY unlikely before the kids move out. Only chance of that is maybe if some relative leaves a bunch of guns to me).

I sold a P64 last week afterwards. Looking to part with a Winchester 370 youth 20ga, sporterized Gewher 1898 and possibly a JC Higgins .410 pump. If I have to I may have to part with the other P64 and maybe my M57.

She hates my AR-15, but she isn’t insisting I sell it. She is also willing to let me pickup the Savage Rascal I ordered last week for the kids. Been teaching them to shoot on my scoped 10/22 and a neighbor’s borrowed old youth 22. The borrowed one just got returned. She gets that different guns have different uses.

She still can’t wrap her head around what all the different uses can be. Plus collecting.

Anyway, all that aside, she really enjoyed shooting the 10/22 (handguns were WAY too loud. At least till she gets used to shooting. She wanted me to bring something that she’d like, something she could use if SHTF and something to scare her. I should NOT have listened to her).

Threw a bunch of clays out on the 50yd berm and she busted them up. She wants me to take her again in a couple of months.

I don’t get it. It is what it is though. Most of my major bucket list items I already have, but still a small number I really want (1903 or preferably 03A3, 1911, a 1903 pocket hanmerless, K98, a bolt gun in .223, Vz58, Vz61 (semi auto version...I wish I could own the full auto one, or the SBR version)).

I mean, my wants stretch to about 40 or 50 guns I don’t own. But those are the bucket list ones I don’t have. I can probably get most of all of those in the fullness of time.

But I probably won’t be able to get more than maybe 1 gun every year or two till my kids are of it the house (12 years till my youngest is moved out). And probably at least a couple of those acquisitions will need or should be ones that are parts or “parts” sitting in my safe (a couple were stripped down before she inspected my safe, a couple were taken apart in put in ammo boxes temporarily). A few more are bare receivers I would like to build eventually (like I have basically all of an AR308 that I’d like to assemble eventually and a couple of other AR-15s with completed uppers, but the lowers are bare).

A bit of that I can likely offset by getting rid of a gun or two. Like I’ve got two SKS. A complete one and a barreled receiver I just got like 3 weeks ago I am 90% assembled. I can probably live with getting rid of the one that is 90% once I’ve finished it and shot it a bit in a couple of years. Especially if it means swapping it out for a gun on my bucket list, like a 1903A3.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. Been weighing on me the last week and a half.

Sorry for being late to the party (see: Holiday)

lazarus - In time-honored MDS tradition, I feel I must do this to heal our community.

Paging K31....

:D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Sorry to hear your getting out of it but i understand. I can see myself largely thinning the herd in the next 10 years if i am still in good health, if not the Family will get to sell everything and get a decent payday. Meanwhile there are still things i am looking to add.(SVT40, Winchester 1895 etc) so i will keep on adding and watch the classifieds for when you list. Good luck on your new adventure

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Probably been 2 years since I purchased a milsurp. I’m still looking for a decent Gew98. And an M1 carbine.

Would love to have a Brown Bess and maybe a Trapdoor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Reading threads like this remind me of why I describe myself as "happily divorced"!

The way I look at it,... I served 20 years(19 of them very happy) of the life sentence and got released early for good behavior. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Reading threads like this remind me of why I describe myself as "happily divorced"!

The way I look at it,... I served 20 years(19 of them very happy) of the life sentence and got released early for good behavior. :)

My problem is this is the only issue I have in my marriage really (other than my parents being narcissistic A-holes).

Hard to throw the baby out with the bath water. I think stuffs settling down with us about it. Well a couple of things and at least with handguns, wait till the kids are out of the house in a few years to buy any more. Long guns might be more like one every year or two till then.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Wishing you the best, sir.

A little unsolicited advice:
    Seems like when the nest is about to empty, things change. One had left when she went through her transformation into a hateful and ungrateful person that only wanted to party! It was a complete 180 degree turn in her behavior. I never knew what to expect from one day to the next right near the end. It was a relief for me and the other two kids when I put a stop to it and encouraged her to hit the road! I have had a few friends over the years that had already had the experience and tried to warn me it was coming, but I ignored them and kept trying to save my marriage. Keep your eyes and mind open, just in case more than your collection is an issue.

On a positive note,... I wrote some great songs because of the experience and life went on and got better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom