• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Heard about a “tactical” class competition that’s like a “run what you brung” kind of long range competition? Similar to f class but a little more attainable for beginners. Looking for more info.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    "Run what you brung..." sounds like Steve at Quantico.

I don't know what match you are considering, but 'tactical' usually implies field positions (sling use, improvised rests), time constraints (both with taking firing positions, safely moving point to point and with actually getting the shots off), multiple targets, often without being able to adjust your scope, unknown distances, holdovers, occasionally teamwork and spotter drills...

This article might be helpful:
    https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...tactical-rifle-competition-by-ed-shell.41213/

Regarding F-Class; It doesn't have to be unattainable...equipment can be thousands of dollars worth of specialized gear and high pressure for advanced competitors looking to aggregate scores, OR, it can be a shooting mat, rear bag & bipod on a decent quality .308 with FGMM 175s and good, clean fun for a beginner or less advanced shooter. You don't have to dominate the match to have a good time and learn some valuable stuff.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Bridgeville rifle and gun club has a tactical AR and F class. I haven't shot either of these events but I have watched and everyone is helpful and willing to work with newbies. I believe they are listed on their website but if you can't find it or want someone to meet you to get you going just PM me.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Regarding F-Class; It doesn't have to be unattainable...equipment can be thousands of dollars worth of specialized gear and high pressure for advanced competitors looking to aggregate scores, OR, it can be a shooting mat, rear bag & bipod on a decent quality .308 with FGMM 175s and good, clean fun for a beginner or less advanced shooter. You don't have to dominate the match to have a good time and learn some valuable stuff.

Agree with this, Fclass to me is all about having fun. I try to learn something each time i'm out. Example...what does a head wind due to bullet impact? I've been chasing a perfect 600 for about 5 years, but I don't get frustrated when I don't shoot it.

I shoot fclass in Cumberland and at Reade range in PA a decent amount. If you'd like to shoot a match, you're more than welcome to come along and use whatever gear of mine you need to.

I started shooting fclass with a bonestock R700 20" .308 with factory loads. Used a harris bipod, rear bag and factory ammo. Wasn't ideal, but I had a blast!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Bridgeville rifle and gun club has a tactical AR and F class. I haven't shot either of these events but I have watched and everyone is helpful and willing to work with newbies. I believe they are listed on their website but if you can't find it or want someone to meet you to get you going just PM me.

The Bridgeville team(Dave is the only name I remember) shoots at Reade range often, they are a good group of guys and good shooters. I'd bet they'd help a new person out at the blink of an eye.

You really just need a rile, decent scope(20x should be ok), bipod and a rear bag. You don't need a spotting scope or a fancy front rest. A moving blanket or an old comforter works great as a shooting mat.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Last time I shot it, F-class was split into two categorizes. F-Open and F-TR. The TR was for 308 and 223 only and from a bi-pod, and you could be pretty competitive with out spending a fortune. F-open was basically Benchrest shooting from the ground, you could spend many thousands of dollars on that.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    From what you describe as "tactical" that sounds more like Precision Rifle Series (PRS), which I got addicted to when I was out in the Midwest. Timed stages, transitions, games you have to play, etc., that make for what I consider a more holistic, "whole shooter" concept than F class. I built an F class gun in 300WinMag and wound up doing both with it. I no longer do any F class stuff but am shopping for a more affordable gun to shoot PRS with. I have so much fun every time I go to a PRS competition (haven't been to one since I moved to Maryland in June) but you tend to fire 80 to 100 rounds in a day, depending on the lanes and how fast you yourself are. The bolt throw on the 300WM meant I was too slow to get my full 10 rounds in 2 minutes that is the setup for most lanes I was shooting in Kansas or Nebraska.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Peacemaker has PRS matches. Also NRA American Rifle Level 1 and 2. The Devil Dog Club PRS matches count toward the PRS Club series in the Northeast division.

Also the Ft. Meade Counter Sniper Challenge Match is moving to PNTC for 2020. There will be 2 civilian pre-matches so ordinary people can prep for shooting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom