The "Sun is Setting Between the Trees" Again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!
    :D

You know you're gonna rile up Buff... ;) :lol2:

I also meant to add the pic of yesterday's sunset to my post... :banghead:

Here it is... The sun is definitely heading South...

Hey Buff, it's time to change the oil in your snow shovel! :D

:innocent0

Attachments

• 08_09_2018 DSC00628.jpg
      08_09_2018 DSC00628.jpg
      78.7 KB · Views: 591

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's THAT time again!

Having another year fly by makes us wonder where the time goes. But one thing you can set your watch by is the sun will be setting "between the trees" at my house around August 10. And, as in years past, it's time to start thinking about getting ready for fall.

We still have some summer left and there's no urgency. But in six weeks or so the leaves will start to turn as the sun heads further south. We all know what comes next... :innocent0

Not surprisingly the pic from yesterday's sunset looks a lot like a year ago. Proving once again: the more things change, the more they stay the same...

Enjoy the rest of the summer! And prepare for autumn...

;);)

Attachments

• 08_09_2019 DSC01866.jpg
      08_09_2019 DSC01866.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 523

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    My red oak is starting to turn som of its leaves, said to the wife that summer is coming to a close as same thing to us, that is the first sign of a closing of summer.

melikou1

Aug 31, 2017
    The 'Dena, MD
    My red oak is starting to turn som of its leaves, said to the wife that summer is coming to a close as same thing to us, that is the first sign of a closing of summer.

I had two red oaks that had one branch of leaves turn, and then two weeks later all the leaves were brown and the trees were dead! My tree guy said there's a fungus hitting a lot of red oaks in the area. Couldn't believe how quickly they went from looking fine to stone dead. I'm sure the disease progression was probably a lot longer, but what was noticeable was quick!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Aaaaand --- (drum roll) ---> It's That Time Again!

By now y'all know the drill pretty well. And the sun was back at it's normal setting spot on August 9. Go figure...

We're a little more than halfway between the summer solstice and the autumnal equinox. There are still several weeks of summer ahead. But, from here on (at least in the mountains), the late afternoon shadows get longer, the green plants slow down, robins and Canada geese disappear and the outside world begins to plan for fall. Hell, I blame Walmart this year. They already have mums and fall decorations on their shelves!

Oh well, we know what comes next. We're used to it...

Have a great late summer - at least what's left of it!

:D

Attachments

• 08_09_2020b DSC03773.jpg
      08_09_2020b DSC03773.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 333

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks for the reminder.

Fall is always my favorite time of year. I don’t like hot humid days as I’m one of those people that just always seem hot no matter what the temperature is.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Getting tired of 90 deg days and 100% humidity.

'cmon winter! Bring the white stuff with you.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    I like fall also, sept. Oct. nov. my favorite time of year. Don't mind some snow but hate ice, maybe we'll be lucky this year and we won't have much...I hope.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ...I began watching where the sun sets relative to the trees on our property as the seasons march forward. ...when the sun begins setting between two "particular" trees in our yard, I've learned it's also time to prepare for fall and winter. ...

Haha, LOVE it! :thumbsup:

The only thing worse than winter a-comin’ is not being prepared for it!

We’ve followed your strategy since forever but, starting last year, Our plan is to use 2020, ‘21 then ‘22 to progressively shift from laying in firewood to packing suitcases and heading down to the Port Charlotte Punta Gorda Gulf coast of FL ... Did 2 weeks last winter, have a place reserved for all of Feb this year then, Jan-Feb in ‘21 and in ‘22, we’ll see if I can last Jan-Mar down there. Dunno, 90 days may be too much. All depends on ammo not running out. Oh yeah, and how cold it is or isn’t up here at the lake! :innocent0

Which reminds me; I need to go check how much PRI-G we have in hand to lay up some non-ethanol gas ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom