• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    With today's political atmosphere, that could easily be construed as a ballistic missle topped with a warhead.:lol2:

Not far off,, using black powder like that puts it into the "explosive" category,,
    which means you got some 'splaining to do,,

Tom

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I live in North Point Village. The field where the old drive-in movie was is big enough to launch rockets to 200 - 225 feet and recover them. Is doing so going to get the attention of the local constabulary? If so, why don't they show up when the neighbors are launching skyrockets and Roman candles?

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I did a science far project back in the day about rocket fin shape and configurations. I still have the ribbon I won for that one around here somewhere. :D

As for it being expensive I used to build them from a box of scraps my parents would give me, Tony Stark style. Then we would go launch them with varying rates of success. I may or may not have made people dive out of the way. :innocent0 I even had that space shuttle one that would glide down in circles.

Now I have two aerospace degrees so I think I took it a bit far. :party29:

I need to get back into it!

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    High power rocketry can get $$$$$, figure the PROPELLANT for a "M" motor will lighten your wallet $300-$400. BUT you can make the same load for $30 or so plus about 4 hrs of you time. A "P" motor will set up back well over $1.5k. I think there is a "Q" now for $2500+.

Tom

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I live in North Point Village. The field where the old drive-in movie was is big enough to launch rockets to 200 - 225 feet and recover them. Is doing so going to get the attention of the local constabulary? If so, why don't they show up when the neighbors are launching skyrockets and Roman candles?

Assuming you are not otherwise acting foolish or reckless, I doubt anyone will care about you launching a typical 12"-24" model rocket to around 200' in a sizable field. For 500' or higher, it's a different story. You need FAA clearance to launch from an agreed location in an agreed time window, which involves one brief phone call. It should go without saying to never launch from the field when the grass is bone dry, yet people do and cause fires. Never be one of those people. :)

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Cool. That's what I figured, but I wanted an experienced opinion. The old drive-in movie area is mostly gravel with only sparse patches of grass, so the fire hazard is pretty low. Thanks for the info!

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Bought a bunch of new rockets and engines and went out this weekend. It was fun and here is my son about to blast off his favorite golden rocket. Will probably have to wait until fall to blast of any more at the in-laws, the soybean is getting to tall. We did lose one small rocket, it separated and the tail came down in the soybean and the head with the parachute came down in the next county.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My boy built a model rocket at camp, Montgomery County no less. He was one of the fortunate ones that did not lose his during launches, and this was a mighty big field. He explained that many rockets were flying near horizontal, and even over the road. I noted his chute was burnt and asked if they used wadding. huh? OK so they didn't. Today I take him out with three engines, fuse and a 1/8" guide rod. First thing he asks, "What is that big wire for?" I showed him what for by sliding the rocket launch lugs down it. "Oh they didn't have that, they just set them on the ground. :ohnoes:

Anyway, three very nice launches, no more chute burns and he was amazed how high it was actually capable of going.. :lol2: I had the wind just right, really lucky on the last and highest trip upwind.

Well, you know shoot first question later. I had no idea launching rockets is illegal. I guess the camp can do so legally the wrong way, but I could of got busted doing it correctly. When I was in HS in the county, had some science teachers that thought out of the box, and when my friend and I suggested doing rockets, he was all in. The class went to the lower field one day for a full period of rocket launches. This county is no fun any longer.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My boy built a model rocket at camp, Montgomery County no less. He was one of the fortunate ones that did not lose his during launches, and this was a mighty big field. He explained that many rockets were flying near horizontal, and even over the road. I noted his chute was burnt and asked if they used wadding. huh? OK so they didn't. Today I take him out with three engines, fuse and a 1/8" guide rod. First thing he asks, "What is that big wire for?" I showed him what for by sliding the rocket launch lugs down it. "Oh they didn't have that, they just set them on the ground. :ohnoes:

Anyway, three very nice launches, no more chute burns and he was amazed how high it was actually capable of going.. :lol2: I had the wind just right, really lucky on the last and highest trip upwind.

Well, you know shoot first question later. I had no idea launching rockets is illegal. I guess the camp can do so legally the wrong way, but I could of got busted doing it correctly. When I was in HS in the county, had some science teachers that thought out of the box, and when my friend and I suggested doing rockets, he was all in. The class went to the lower field one day for a full period of rocket launches. This county is no fun any longer.

Model rockets aren't legal in MoCo? That really sucks if that's the case. I haven't done them since I was a kid, but it was a blast!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    When my father and I used to launch them, we used fuses for a while until they came out with the electric starters. We bought a couple for my son and daughter about 2 years ago. It has gotten pretty pricey to launch them these days, but they love it.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I build and fly all sorts of rockets, from low- to high-power. I'm certified at Level II, so can legally launch rockets up to L class motors. If you're interested, you should come out to the monthly launches held by the Maryland-Delaware Rocketry Association (MDRA). Their website is http://mdrocketry.org/.

The club holds a launch every month on the Eastern Shore. During the growing season, the launch site is Central Sod farm just north of the 50/301 split. In the winter, launches are held at a huge farm near Price, MD...about 20 miles north of the split off of Rt-405. At the big field the FAA waiver is 17,000 feet and there have been rockets to get up there!!! The biggest "model rocket" I ever seen was a 1/10th scale Saturn V -- all 36.5 feet of it! The rocket weighed just under a ton at liftoff and reached just shy of 5,000 feet!

One of the aspects I most like about the club is that it's very kid-friendly. They really know how to "pay it forward" with youngsters. In fact, they have a "bucket of rockets" for kids to have something to fly, and will hand them engines and show how to prep the rocket for launch. It's wonderful to watch as a kid hears his/her name announced on the PA system and then sees his rocket take off.

JoeR

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I got the bug when I was young during the mid late 60's with Estes Rockets build a number single and double stage rockets, my biggest was a multi-engine SATURN. I did the rocket with the egg, streamers, double parachutes etc. Lot of fun that brings back many great memories. Wish I had photos of this big smiles.:)

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    I'll admit it. I was one of those jackasses that attached rocket motors to objects other than rockets. toy boats, action figures, etc. Go figure.. they all flew.. hahahaa

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I got the bug when I was young during the mid late 60's with Estes Rockets build a number single and double stage rockets, my biggest was a multi-engine SATURN. I did the rocket with the egg, streamers, double parachutes etc. Lot of fun that brings back many great memories. Wish I had photos of this big smiles.:)

Side note....when I was stationed at Ft. Carson in '69, after I returned from overseas, I dated a girl that worked at.....Estes Rockets. Didn't last. Those long, late night drives back to the Post were killing me. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom