• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The largest purveyor was Philadephia. The would yank permits left and right for the smallest infractions. The residents would then go and get a FL or UT permit.

It is all about government control.

"However," open carry is still legal for any non-prohibited person.

OC in Philadelphia is prohibited without a permit.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    UT never had an agreement. It was recognized under statute. Yes, there is a determination by the AG but this was already made some time back.
    I thought Utah had a statutory agreement with PA, not an informal written agreement.

If they did have a statutory agreement, it seems silly to give an AG the power to end a statutory agreement instead of needing legislative action.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Any permit valid in PA allows vehicle carry. If you don't possess a permit that is honored by PA, you cannot vehicle carry, even openly. So, unless you want to walk everywhere, you're F'd.

No the statute says any permit issued by the US or any state. For example, if you have a Maryland permit you can vehicle carry with it.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I thought Utah had a statutory agreement with PA, not an informal written agreement.

If they did have a statutory agreement, it seems silly to give an AG the power to end a statutory agreement instead of needing legislative action.

They were covered under statutory recognition not agreement. As long as the AG determined the laws are similar and the state in question recognizes PA permits the permit is recognized.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    No the statute says any permit issued by the US or any state. For example, if you have a Maryland permit you can vehicle carry with it.

I stand corrected, I didn't realize it was ANY permit.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 (b) (11) (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

Guess I'll be open carrying in PA from now on. I usually get up there at least once a week.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Also note, the courthouse's in PA also issue a hunting permit. It's like $5 for ten years, or something like that.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    They were covered under statutory recognition not agreement. As long as the AG determined the laws are similar and the state in question recognizes PA permits the permit is recognized.

This is the interesting part. Utah still honors PA and Utah requires more (training) to get their permit and the AG is now saying Utah doesn't meat their standards!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I see. I thought the agreement was writen in law and that the law would need to be changed by the legislature.

The AG and her 'Henry Gondorf/Kid Twist finger-on-the-nose-agreements' must go. :mad54:

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    There are accusations that the AG is breaking the law. She also has a scandal cover up surrounding her. Hopefully one of those things can sink her for good before she gets to do more damage.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've gotten the feeling all along that she would purposefully go over the line for the agenda, and dare anyone to try to fight it back.

The resources of the state (and of Bloombooger) are on her side, forcing the aggrieved parties to have to scramble to change it back.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    Are there any non-resident options for us Marylanders without the MD permit?

Cross-referencing the maps, it looks like only ND, IA, IN, TX, and NH are the only options, although I'm not sure if all of these are available to us without a MD permit.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Are there any non-resident options for us Marylanders without the MD permit?

Cross-referencing the maps, it looks like only ND, IA, IN, TX, and NH are the only options, although I'm not sure if all of these are available to us without a MD permit.

TX is available.

However, I predict she will trash that one as well.

IN and IA issue non-res permits but they are may issue, so it's sorta like getting a MD (or NJ) permit.
    NH changed its admin rules to require a home state permit before they will issue/renew. Scott Bach from NJ and Evan Nappen (NJ/NH) are fighting this. (I will keep you guys posted)

TX requires training from a TX instructor, including live fire qualification. I believe that only TX residents can be TX CHL instructors. So it means a trip to TX!

ND is just bizzarro-land. They are not issuing permits only to people from certain states, and they canceled all permits of people from those states. Those states have the worst carry/gun laws, and include MD and NJ.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Now do you see why we need federal reciprocity? We can't let the states play political games. So called conservatives who fight reciprocity on the ridiculous "slippery slope" grounds are hurting us all.

I want reciprocity but I want it done properly.

HR2959 seems to do it properly because it will allow me to use one of my non-resident permits to carry in other states.

But some other bills only give reciprocity if the permit is from your resident state. That kind of bill will not help.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Imagine if the states played these games with DL's. How long would that last? And DL's are a priviledge, not a right, in theory anyway.

I'd probably be ok with federal reciprocity but never federal licensing.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Imagine if the states played these games with DL's. How long would that last? And DL's are a priviledge, not a right, in theory anyway.

I'd probably be ok with federal reciprocity but never federal licensing.

I would be OK with a federal shall-issue mandate. Shall-issue with a minimum training requirement and background check.

States can still still choose to be may-issue or shall-issue with less than that if they so please.

But if someone passes the bg check and NRA course then they shall be issued the permit. It would codify through congressional action what we've been fighting for in the courts.

This is a law I would support.

Attach it to some bill like a defense authorization bill or even Obama's coveted minimum wage increase. This is how we got carry in national parks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom