• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I quoted the line from the statute. It specifically does not mention caliber, unlike with many of the other rifles listed, where it specifically does mention caliber:

Whereas, like I mentioned before, for the M1A it simply says:

I mention this because *right now,* we can get an M1A in 6.5 Creed because MSP has decided that the "or their copies" line of the statute means that the rifle has to have parts interchangeability. "Copies" is NOT statutorily defined, so MSP could change that ruling tomorrow and say that "well, we feel that the M1A in 6.5 IS a copy of the M1A, and therefore banned.

That is in opposition to where a specific caliber is listed, which means that the rifle is banned only in that caliber (not that the FAMAS, or the 550/551 was ever made in anything except .223 I don't think). Therefore we could buy a Mini-14 in .300BLK, for example.

Given the decision that MSP has made on the M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor, the logic that MSP is applying is the original caliber in that platform is banned. Technically the Polytech is a copy of the M1A, but the parts are not interchangeable with the SA M1A, but they are both chambered in 308 WIN.

We can buy an AK in MD, but it must be 5.45 caliber, even though the law states all variants. All variants would include all calibers the platform has been or will be chambered in. Granted this is a strictly logical sense, given the way MSP has acted.

Legally you can buy a Mini-14 in 300BLK in MD. There are IP's in MD that are willing to sell them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom