• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location
    Here is a wrinkle...

Individuals who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license by submitting a completed Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania County Sheriff’s office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta...jID=4451&&PageID=462424&level=2&css=L2&mode=2

Catch 22.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Another wrinkle in Delaware.....

The Attorney General shall have the discretion to issue, on a limited basis, a temporary license to carry concealed a deadly weapon to any individual who is not a resident of this State and whom the Attorney General determines has a short-term need to carry such a weapon within this State in conjunction with that individual's employment for the protection of person or property. Said temporary license shall automatically expire 30 days from the date of issuance and shall not be subject to renewal, and must be carried at all times while within the State. However, nothing contained herein shall prohibit the issuance of a 2nd or subsequent temporary license. The Attorney General shall have the authority to promulgate and enforce such regulations as may be necessary for the administration of such temporary licenses. No individual shall be issued more than 3 temporary licenses.
    http://courts.delaware.gov/courts/superior%20court/?weapons.htm#ccdw

Catch 22 x2

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    So Virginia is the only option for a Maryland Resident if HB-52 passes?

I'm just asking....

I'll gladly take HB-52 over the status quo.

I have a FL CCW permit and will get a VA, PA or DE permit if it passes.

It would be nice to include FL and UT reciprocity, however baby steps are better than standing still.

"Shall Issue" Like VA and PA should be the goal in MD, especially if their CCW permits are honored here. Why shouldn't MD get the permit fees instead of our neighbor states Virginia?
    Fixed it myself. Not so glad, now.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    And WV residents may not carry on another state's non-resident permit.

WV expects WV residents to apply for WV permits. Most other states have taken the same position. With the exception of retired LEO's carrying under the H.R. 218 umbrella, MD isn't going to be keen about me carrying here with a VA non-res permit.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    WV expects WV residents to apply for WV permits. Most other states have taken the same position. With the exception of retired LEO's carrying under the H.R. 218 umbrella, MD isn't going to be keen about me carrying here with a VA non-res permit.

Exactly.

Jay

Balanced
    Mar 11, 2009
    Wow! My jaw almost dropped from reading all of page two. This is what MDShooters is about...truthful, smart, law-abiding citizens.

EVERYTHING said on page two I fully support and add my vouch to. Everything was so well said and right on point down to the minor issues.

Bravo!

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    For that I would absolutely encourage you to talk to him directly. Frankly, I haven't asked him about this. I am on leave this week and as such am not in the office. He's a straight shooter (pun intended) and I think you should ask him about this sooner than later. Call the district office this week or next 410-398-4606. We won't open the Annapolis office until the week Session starts.

I hope you get a lot of calls and can put together a few more bills so that we have some successes in 2010. I have the following recommendations for Mr. Smigiel's consideration:

1. Repeal the shell casing requirement. I understand this is not funded anymore as a direct result of Mr. Smigiel's efforts; it only makes since to me to finish the job and make it so manufactures can ship guns to MD without a fired shell casing. I understand that some ways around the law now is as long as the new gun is not shipped to MD from the manufacturer the shell casing is not required. In other words I can buy a new gun from an out of state dealer and ship it to a MD FFL and be exempt.

2. Repeal the 7 day wait. This should have been repealed when the fax machine was invented. Other states can do instant background checks, Maryland should be able to do this as well.

3. Repeal the 20 round magazine limit. The more rounds that are put in a magazine the more prone they are to jam. Anti's should like that. :lol2:

4. Repeal the handgun Roster. Somebody else on this forum said it best "The Maryland Approved Handgun Roster... it's a lot like having a list of "approved condoms", thinking it will somehow cut down on sexual assaults.

5. Allow civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon including those registered after May 19, 1986.

Please convey my wishes listed above to Mr. Smigiel. Thanks for your efforts and for listening. Please note that I support HB 52, but it should also have a provision added to make Maryland shall issue at the same time, otherwise make a separate bill for Shall Issue this year. Let's add the horse with the carriage.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I was talking to my friend tonight who is not a friend of CCW, and she was complaining about a story where a robber successfully sued a woman when he fell through her roof and landed on a knife.

Long story short, she may not be a friend of CCW, but she is a friend of civil immunity.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I was talking to my friend tonight who is not a friend of CCW, and she was complaining about a story where a robber successfully sued a woman when he fell through her roof and landed on a knife.

Long story short, she may not be a friend of CCW, but she is a friend of civil immunity.

Was the story part of the movie called Liar Liar?

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Please convey my wishes listed above to Mr. Smigiel. Thanks for your efforts and for listening. Please note that I support HB 52, but it should also have a provision added to make Maryland shall issue at the same time, otherwise make a separate bill for Shall Issue this year. Let's add the horse with the carriage.
    Does the State of Maryland want to wait for the SCOTUS to invalidate the state's "anti-bear arms" laws or have more control over the process by amending clearly unconstitutional state laws?

I believe Maryland will end up with either legislated shall-issue CCW or court ordered open-carry and their may-issue CCW permits.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Welcome aboard.

Will a Maryland resident that has a non resident CCW from Delaware, Virgina, or Penn, and also doesn't have a Maryland CCW, be able to use their non resident CCW to carry in Maryland? If not, why should Maryland trust people from other states when they don't trust their own. If so, why not deal with the MD Shall Issue head on and make this state some money in the process. I'm thinking this bill will fail and when Maryland finally gets Shall Issue your opponents will remember this bill about reciprocity when you try reciprocity bills in the future and think that there is a hidden message like this bill.

If this passed and MD residents still was a may issue state, would this bring up a constitutional question vis a vis the 14th amendment equal protection clause? Would it be legal to allow those 3 states residents to carry but not MD residents?

Just askin.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Ehrlich for Governor?

This in my 'inbox', coming from the campaign manager for O'Malley! I felt 'obligated' to reply...

Good afternoon,

Could you please advise if Governor O’Malley would, either this year or if reelected, approve legislation to:
    1) Eliminate the unneeded ‘spent shell casing’ requirement/law?
    2) Eliminate the unneeded restriction on ammunition magazines larger than 20 rounds?
    3) Repeal the 7 day wait for regulated weapons? Other states can do instant background checks, why isn’t Maryland doing so?
    4) Make Maryland a Shall-Issue vs a May-Issue state like 40 other states for otherwise non-prohibited persons, or allowing “desire Self Defense” as a reason for obtaining a CCW permit?

If you can truthfully answer ‘yes’ to these questions, I’ll strongly consider opening up my checkbook.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Cxxxxx

From: Tom Russell, Campaign Manager [mailto:campaign@martinomalley.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 1:46 PM
    To: mark cxxxxxx
    Subject: FW: Ehrlich for Governor?

mark —

Over the past few days, hundreds of O'Malley/Brown supporters have stepped up to help make sure our campaign can take on Robert Ehrlich and the Republicans in this new year.

mark, we haven't heard from you yet — and we need your help to hit our crucial fundraising goal of $500,000 by January 10.

Can you pitch in now? Every dollar makes a difference:

http://www.martinomalley.com/January10

As Governor O'Malley mentioned in his email the other day, campaign finance laws will prevent our campaign from raising any funds for three months, starting next week.

That's a big GOP advantage we've got to overcome, and we need your help to overcome it. Let's make sure that, this time next year, the Republicans and their right-wing supporters aren't packing their bags for Annapolis.

Thanks,

Tom

I know I'm 'whizzing up a rope' here, but now is the time to plant seeds everywhere. Thanks for the ideas thrown out on this thread...

Mark C.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Virginia doesn't care.

What about getting Utah added? They have a pretty strict requirement for getting their permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom