90 Days to Register when new Resident? What's the penalty?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Hey all, I have a friend who moved to Maryland several months ago, but just brought up firearms to me today. (who knew they were into them?)

What's the penalty (if any) for not registering a handgun legally purchased out of state, within the 90 days specified in COMAR?

They plan to use this gun for home defense, so I want to make sure they don't get slapped with extra charges should the need arise to use it.

Thanks!

-John

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Just moved out of Maryalnd after 8 years, Never registered anything that i brought from PA, Shot public ranges pretty much exclusively and just like the whole Hbar thing, nobody actually cares.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Just moved out of Maryalnd after 8 years, Never registered anything that i brought from PA, Shot public ranges pretty much exclusively and just like the whole Hbar thing, nobody actually cares.

Nobody cares until the day that an angry drunk guy kicks open your front door at 1:30 in the morning and you do what you have to do to protect your family. Suddenly what was a 100% legal action on your part becomes only 90% legal and the MSP slaps you with a misdemeanor charge for not registering.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Nobody cares until the day that an angry drunk guy kicks open your front door at 1:30 in the morning and you do what you have to do to protect your family. Suddenly what was a 100% legal action on your part becomes only 90% legal and the MSP slaps you with a misdemeanor charge for not registering.

LoL, I worried more about getting struck by lightning when it was raining more than i worried about catching a misdemeanor for registering. Do you also plan for zombies and godzilla? I mean those are statistically about as likely as the scenario that you laid out as happening.

Considering that the MGA will most likely tell you to turn in your registered guns in the next 6 to 18 months. The reality is that it far more likely that you will find the MSP at your door far before some random drunk guy.

One should plan accordingly

So when the MGA say Hell Yes turn them in, I assume you guys will just turn them in right? I mean its just a hobby after all

Good Luck

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    LoL, I worried more about getting struck by lightning when it was raining more than i worried about catching a misdemeanor for registering. Do you also plan for zombies and godzilla? I mean those are statistically about as likely as the scenario that you laid out as happening.

I just follow what our local state cops are doing. First thing if they encounter someone with a firearm is that they call in the 'Maryland Gun Center' and see if they can stick the owner with a violation. Whether that's a traffic stop or if they searched a home after they got the address wrong doesn't matter. They are just cops being cops.

Considering that the MGA will most likely tell you to turn in your registered guns in the next 6 to 18 months. The reality is that it far more likely that you will find the MSP at your door far before some random drunk guy.

Mh, like hyperbole much ?

The drunk guy thing happened just last month in Harford Co. The fact that the gun was lawfully owned came up in the states attorneys press conference. Had this revolver not been registered (probably through a 77r at the time of purchase), there is a 100% chance that the Harford Co SA would have charged the homeowner with a violation.

So when the MGA say Hell Yes turn them in, I assume you guys will just turn them in right? I mean its just a hobby after all

I am in the enviable position to have more than one place I can legitimately claim as my residence. I'll just wheel my safe back up into the back of the Penske truck and move it back across the stateline to where it came from.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No matter the legality there is no stated penalty however coming here constantly and advocating not following laws is a forum rules violation.

But do what you like

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I just follow what our local state cops are doing. First thing if they encounter someone with a firearm is that they call in the 'Maryland Gun Center' and see if they can stick the owner with a violation. Whether that's a traffic stop or if they searched a home after they got the address wrong doesn't matter. They are just cops being cops.

The drunk guy thing happened just last month in Harford Co. The fact that the gun was lawfully owned came up in the states attorneys press conference. Had this revolver not been registered (probably through a 77r at the time of purchase), there is a 100% chance that the Harford Co SA would have charged the homeowner with a violation.

I am in the enviable position to have more than one place I can legitimately claim as my residence. I'll just wheel my safe back up into the back of the Penske truck and move it back across the stateline to where it came from.
    Minor correction - event in your comments occurred in Howard County.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Howard County

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Reading the firearm safety act of 2013, I see no penalty listed. Which seems odd.

It says you must register within 90 days. Secretary shall provide a form to register all regulated firearms. Cost will be no more than $15 no matter how many firearms registered. No penalty listed for failure to comply.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Hey all, I have a friend who moved to Maryland several months ago, but just brought up firearms to me today. (who knew they were into them?)

What's the penalty (if any) for not registering a handgun legally purchased out of state, within the 90 days specified in COMAR?

They plan to use this gun for home defense, so I want to make sure they don't get slapped with extra charges should the need arise to use it.

Thanks!

-John

What firearms in MD do you need to register?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Reading the firearm safety act of 2013, I see no penalty listed. Which seems odd.

It says you must register within 90 days. Secretary shall provide a form to register all regulated firearms. Cost will be no more than $15 no matter how many firearms registered. No penalty listed for failure to comply.

That’s my read as well. No penalty but still required by statute

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I love that the 77R is a “voluntary” registration form you are forced to comply with to purchase a handgun.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    How is someone moving from out of state supposed to know that they have to register their handguns? Does the realtor they bought the house from tell them? Their landlord????

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How is someone moving from out of state supposed to know that they have to register their handguns? Does the realtor they bought the house from tell them? Their landlord????

Same way you need to know the laws of a state you are traveling to carry in or you intend establish residency in. As a gun owner the responsibility is yours not the state

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    When you complete the questionnaire for the 77r on MSP's website, there is a spot that asks if your'e registering a firearm, followed in parentheses registering in voluntary.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

There was no requirement for you to do so.

1) The requirement for registration did not go into effect until 10/1/2013.
    2) You only need to register regulated firearms. If you were an MD resident when you bought them, and you bought them out of state, it was an illegal transaction.

Billy610

Aug 9, 2019
    Has anyone had experience with this? Im curious if you can register after the 90 days without it being a problem like California. Another question ive seen was if the handgun/ regulated firearm is not in the state and you bring it in after the 90 days. Can you still register it? Or is it banned forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom