• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wrldruler

Sep 5, 2019
    Gun novice here. I am getting frustrated with the State websites, so hoping I can get a quick answer here.

In 2010, my father in law passed away, and I inherited his Glock. I registered with the state police and did the various checks and hoops.

Gun sat in my closet for the last nine years, and I decide to sell it. I live in MD, right on the DE line. I visited a DE gun shop (licensed dealer) and sold it. He took my ID, gave me a written receipt and the money, and that was it.

I asked him about my MD registration and he said DE did not have registration laws (yet), so there is nothing more we need to do.

Now I am nervous. MD still thinks I own this gun, but it is floating around a dealer's shop, likely to be sold to a non-MD resident.

Do I need to notify MD of the sale?

Thanks

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Gun novice here. I am getting frustrated with the State websites, so hoping I can get a quick answer here.

In 2010, my father in law passed away, and I inherited his Glock. I registered with the state police and did the various checks and hoops.

Gun sat in my closet for the last nine years, and I decide to sell it. I live in MD, right on the DE line. I visited a DE gun shop (licensed dealer) and sold it. He took my ID, gave me a written receipt and the money, and that was it.

I asked him about my MD registration and he said DE did not have registration laws (yet), so there is nothing more we need to do.

Now I am nervous. MD still thinks I own this gun, but it is floating around a dealer's shop, likely to be sold to a non-MD resident.

Do I need to notify MD of the sale?

Thanks

Fast answer: No

Slow answer: Why not go to the introductions thread, and tell us about yourself.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    It doesn't matter who you notify in MD as their system doesn't allow them to remove it from your name unless it transfers to another MD resident.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Correct. Once a gun is registered to you, it will always be registered to you in the MD system. If it gets sold through an FFL multiple times, it will have multiple names associated with it.

I would suggest keeping your receipt and the FFL/dealer's information in a file. If your door gets kicked in a 4am, you can show that paperwork as proof that you no longer own the handgun. Likewise, if it ever shows up at a crime scene, someone may come and ask you about it, in which case, the bill of sale will also be to your benefit.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The Maryland registration scheme is nothing more than a barrier that they put up to get you used to the fact that owning a gun is a privilege and not a right.

They don't really do anything with the registration, there's no way to remove your name from the registration, and I doubt anyone here can point to a single crime has been solved with the registrations. Real criminals don't register their guns

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    ... If your door gets kicked in a 4am, you can show that paperwork as proof that you no longer own the handgun...

If my door gets kicked in at 4am by government gun grabbers, it's a cinch I won't make 4:05, but neither will at least a few of them...

Uh-oh, this won't help my social-credit score, will it?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It doesn't matter who you notify in MD as their system doesn't allow them to remove it from your name unless it transfers to another MD resident.

Even once it transfers to another MD resident, the firearm is still listed to you. The database is of transactions, not firearms owned, even though it is used for the latter.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Not even then. It is just shown under both names, with the appropriate transfer dates.

boconnell13

Sep 6, 2019
    You should hang onto the bill of sale in the off chance that gun is used in a crime sometime in the future but there is no way to remove the gun from your name in the MSP database.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The Maryland registration scheme is nothing more than a barrier that they put up to get you used to the fact that owning a gun is a privilege and not a right.

They don't really do anything with the registration, there's no way to remove your name from the registration, and I doubt anyone here can point to a single crime has been solved with the registrations. Real criminals don't register their guns

Solving a crime, no. I’d be surprised if they didn’t nab a handful of people for straw purchases or transferring to a prohibited person in the case of friends, girlfriends or relatives giving someone a gun.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If my door gets kicked in at 4am by government gun grabbers, it's a cinch I won't make 4:05, but neither will at least a few of them...

Uh-oh, this won't help my social-credit score, will it?

This kind if shit....threats to the "government gun grabbers"....is not appropriate and should not be allowed. Regardless how we feel, threats to cause harm to what sounds like police to me, is ********. I'm surprised a mod didn't jump on this.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    This kind if shit....threats to the "government gun grabbers"....is not appropriate and should not be allowed. Regardless how we feel, threats to cause harm to what sounds like police to me, is ********. I'm surprised a mod didn't jump on this.

he's saying if they confiscate guns. in that case it sounds like self defense to me. gun confiscation is unconstitutional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom