• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    the sad thing is that people read things like this and believe it to be a credible source....wow.

Exactly. Sadly, probably at least half of the readers will now believe that all ak's (and most 'assault' rifles for that matter,) are full auto weapons. Funny that liberals push for things like the fairness doctrine yet refuse to think it should apply to them. He should write a retraction.

Waterdoor

Proud Infidel Team U.S.A.
    Dec 13, 2008
    KY.
    Man these guys are quickly learning what happens when you get MDS members mad. This site is great in that it allows us to keep a watchful eye over the entire state.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    No sporting use my arse, last year I shot a groundhog with my semi-auto AK-47. Made a nice hole too, ripped a hole in his side and his bowels spilled out. Shot him in the drainage ditch from 10-15 feet above using either soft points or hollow points.
    I might have to find someone to take me deer hunting with it sometime.

I remember someone, perhaps O'boma, wanting to ban assault weapons and other guns with "no sporting purpose". That person indicated that just because it can be used for sporting purposes, doesn't mean that it should be exempt. Very frightening thought that the AR-15 could be banned becaue it is a "military" style weapon even though it is one of the favorite target competition weapons out there.

It's no wonder AK-47 prices have gone up in the last year. I paid $500 for my Vector Classic Wood AK-47 and now I see that similar quality AK-47s are goin for over $700 now. People like this guy are driving up the prices because his belief system is making everyone nervous. Of course the prices maybe so high due to scarcity in the U.S. since they are all obviously going to Mexico.

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    I sent this fool a letter about the so called full auto assault weapons being bought in the U.S. and sold in Mexico and guess what i got back? I quote '' Instructions for converting an AK 47 to full auto are
    readily available on the internet. It is a very simple
    operation.'' Does this guy even have half a brain?????

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I sent this fool a letter about the so called full auto assault weapons being bought in the U.S. and sold in Mexico and guess what i got back? I quote '' Instructions for converting an AK 47 to full auto are

Ask him to show you >exactly< where those instructions are located.

If it refers to using a registered auto sear, then you simply explain to him the concept of the fixed registry that has been in effect since 1986.

If he can't show you the location, write his supervisor and demand a retraction.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This idiot has had more readership on this site than he has had in his whole career of regurgitating the democrat talking points in crab-wrapper papers.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD

with it being documented that the mexican drug cartels are paying off people in the mexican government at the tune of around $400,000 per month:eek: you cannot honestly tell me that anyone believes they are buying one at a time in the US.

That is typical liberal B***S*** on typical liberal news stations

raggedman

Nov 6, 2008
    I've always thought we (the pro-gun, and 2A supporters) do ourselves a disservice by calling our military style firearms "assault weapons".

We can't be overly upset when the gun-grabbers do likewise and then assign them military attributes. We are, in some small part, adding to the confusion of some who may not yet have been won over by liberal rhetoric.

Though, I'm in no way excusing this sh1theel for his too obvious propaganda.

For the sake of lessening the "scaryblackgun" perception, I'd rather call my M4gery a "Mil-sport carbine"

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    I've always thought we (the pro-gun, and 2A supporters) do ourselves a disservice by calling our military style firearms "assault weapons".

We can't be overly upset when the gun-grabbers do likewise and then assign them military attributes. We are, in some small part, adding to the confusion of some who may not yet have been won over by liberal rhetoric.

For the sake of lessening the "scaryblackgun" perception, I'd rather call my M4gery a "Mil-sport carbine"

We need to just call them what they are, Semi-Auto rifles. Plain and simple. Nothing more, nothing less.

As raggedman pointed out, the problem is that most owners think it's just cool to show off that they have a "Military Style Rifle" (I was one of them). While it is cool, it only gives more ammo (no pun intended) to the Antis to keep using those terms when describing the rifle.

Take off the pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash suppressor and put in a 5 round mag and you have a semi-auto, magazine feed rifle. It wouldn't look any different from any other hunting rifle out there.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO

What he said.

I prefer "modern firearms" or "modern rifles."

hylomar

Feb 15, 2009
    SOMD
    I to wrote a letter, though I have a feeling that he will dismiss this as he has with everyone elses letters.

Mr. Culleton,

I read your article “Assault Weapon Ban a Must” in the Carroll County Times and I am quite disturbed by your complete lack of research into the topic. AK47’s do come in semi-automatic varity. “Machine guns” with fully automatic fire capabilities, as well as silencers, short barrel rifles, short barreled shotguns, and destructive devices are strictly regulated by the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Please refer to the Gun Control Act of 1968 Title 18, United States Code, Chapter 44 if you would like to more information regarding the definition, unlawful acts, licensing, and penalties regarding these firearms. Imposing future regulations these firearms would likely not stop the flow of weapons into Mexico. According to the Mexican Attorney General, in the past two years about 29,000 firearms have been confiscated by the Mexican police. According to the ATF 11,055 of these weapons were submitted for tracking. Of these weapons, 90% were traced to the United States. That is 9950 weapons, or 34 % of the weapons captured in Mexico, came from the USA. Even if we were able to prevent weapon from leaving to US to Mexico there would be more than 18850 weapons arriving from other sources, and it is quite likely that the drug cartels would simply buy more weapons from these other sources. No studies have been done, or perhaps released, to determine how many of these weapons traced to the US were stolen. These guns are being used by criminals and criminals do steal. As far as an assault weapons ban in the United States for limiting crime in our own country, we tried that and it did not work. The United States Department of Justice wrote a report in 2004 titled “Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003”. Though this report was not published, the research was conducted and the report is available through their website. In the report it shows that “AWs were used in only a small fraction of gun crimes prior to the ban: about 2% according to most studies and no more than 8%. Most of the AWs used in crime are assault pistols rather than assault rifles.” and “Should it be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement. AWs were rarely used in gun crimes even before the ban.” While you have the opinion that there is no reason for someone to have any assault weapon, this is simply your opinion. While you have the write to have your opinion, you are still a journalist. Please do some research on a topic before you present clear and blatant lies to the American public such as you did in your article.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    The Carroll County Times is a JOKE as far as a news paper anyway. It is nothing but a bunch of liberals printing $h1t without getting all the facts. They seem to do that alot anymore, selling the paper is more important than stating the facts.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    No sporting use my arse, last year I shot a groundhog with my semi-auto AK-47.

I remember someone, perhaps O'boma, wanting to ban assault weapons and other guns with "no sporting purpose". That person indicated that just because it can be used for sporting purposes, doesn't mean that it should be exempt.

Very frightening thought that the AR-15 could be banned becaue it is a "military" style weapon even though it is one of the favorite target competition weapons out there.

You might want to remind these same fools that the second amendment never said anything about "sporting purposes." It's about being able to defend myself from those who would infringe on life, liberty, and the safe guarding of property and country.

Mark

Punchabearinnamouf

High Tech Redneck
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hollywood, MD
    You might want to remind these same fools that the second amendment never said anything about "sporting purposes." It's about being able to defend myself from those who would infringe on life, liberty, and the safe guarding of property and country.

Mark

+1, And for that purpose, I think an AK or AR would be perfectly suited.
    Hence why they don't want us to have them.
    The firearms at the time of the 2nd Amendment were black powder. On both sides. Semi-autos even the odds a little bit for today's circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom