• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I will take at least 2. I just need to get home tonight where I can actually look through them and have time to do them.

Is there any way this can be made a sticky?? At least for the duration of this session?

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Sign me up for:
    HB 122 * *Del K. Kelly * * * * Public Safety - Assault Weapons and Detachable Magazines - Possession or Transport by Nonresident

I know we have others working on HB 94 and HB 115 but they so reek of stupid, I may be tempted to double down on them after I work on HB 122.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I've been working hard on HB 521, that's the main bill I want to testify for. I'm going to continue working on it, and if mxrider agrees, I'll collaborate with him on it.

I'll also take HB 115 * *Del Conaway * * *Task Force to Study Firearms and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Devices. I'm not an expert in GPS, but I've worked on some programs using it as a defense contractor, and as an avid hiker and geocacher I am well aware of it's capabilities and limitations.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Multiple folks on any one bill is fine. If we see one that has no testimony, someone can grab it.

The idea is to show up in numbers, and with a pile of written testimony. (And everyone can write a paragraph; or at least "I oppose/support HB XXX. It will help/hurt lawful gun-owners."

For too many years, I think we let MSI and AGC carry all the weight. No more.

Tweaked the above for you for a truer statement.

And I knew I liked you for some reason based on your last comment above. :D

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Planned testimony supporting HB 715 (repeal fired casing):

I am asking you to support HB 715 (SB 584) Public Safety – Handgun Identification Requirements.

This bill would repeal the requirement to submit a fired shell casing when purchasing a new handgun. There are several reasons to support this repeal.

Despite what is seen on TV, there is no automatic database of shell casings, instantly available to law enforcement personnel. The reality is not CSI. The Maryland State Police and local police departments have never been able to scan all fired shell casings in order to solve crimes. This matching to fired casings has never been used to solve a random crime. It was used, once, to confirm that a fired casing was fired from a suspect’s gun.

Indeed, the State Police do not have the ability to scan any fired casing. They have not had this ability for several years. They have publicly stated that fired casings are simply boxed and stored. Any other activity has not been funded for many years. The State Police have not requested funding to reactivate this program.

This imposes a burden upon lawful gun buyers. Last year’s Firearms Safety Act required a Handgun Qualification License for the purchase of a handgun. This imposes a cost to the buyer of at least $100, but often approaching $250. The requirement for a fired shell casing imposes a $30-50 additional cost as it is often not included by the manufacturer. This is a reasonable step to reduce costs to lawful buyers.

Thank you.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I'll take HB 717 as well.

HB 115 is easy, basically "This has been proposed by other states. Let's wait and see what they find before we spend any of our taxpayer money on it." I can go into detail about why GPS isn't feasible for this, but this isn't a bill to install GPS, just to form a task force to study it. I'll get formal testimony written up soon.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Planned testimony supporting HB 715 (repeal fired casing):

I am asking you to support HB 715 (SB 584) Public Safety – Handgun Identification Requirements.

This bill would repeal the requirement to submit a fired shell casing when purchasing a new handgun. There are several reasons to support this repeal.

Despite what is seen on TV, there is no automatic database of shell casings, instantly available to law enforcement personnel. The reality is not CSI. The Maryland State Police and local police departments have never been able to scan all fired shell casings in order to solve crimes. This matching to fired casings has never been used to solve a random crime. It was used, once, to confirm that a fired casing was fired from a suspect’s gun.

Indeed, the State Police do not have the ability to scan any fired casing. They have not had this ability for several years. They have publicly stated that fired casings are simply boxed and stored. Any other activity has not been funded for many years. The State Police have not requested funding to reactivate this program.

This imposes a burden upon lawful gun buyers. Last year’s Firearms Safety Act required a Handgun Qualification License for the purchase of a handgun. This imposes a cost to the buyer of at least $100, but often approaching $250. The requirement for a fired shell casing imposes a $30-50 additional cost as it is often not included by the manufacturer. This is a reasonable step to reduce costs to lawful buyers.

Thank you.

For those that want to use this, a few tidbits of information.

The machine used to scan the shell casings, broke in 2004 and was never repaired.

The machine was sold as scrap by MSP in 2010.

The program was defunded in 2010 (?) (I will verify the year).

Mr H

Banana'd

The machine used to scan the shell casings, broke in 2004 and was never repaired.

Also, if I heard correctly last night (maybe SB281Blaster can post a link?)...

A MD study which was done criticizing CA's program, was cited as authority when NY chose to repeal their requirement.

So, in essence, this has never worked ANYWHERE, and MD knew it all along.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Thank you. I will update my testimony.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Also, if I heard correctly last night (maybe SB281Blaster can post a link?)...

A MD study which was done criticizing CA's program, was cited as authority when NY chose to repeal their requirement.

So, in essence, this has never worked ANYWHERE, and MD knew it all along.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S459-2011

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has. Abraham Lincoln

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom