• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I have an astigmatism, dont matter who makes an optic....some are great for me and others are not....

eshoremd

May 22, 2014
    Pasadena
    Sorry you are having a bad experience but Im confident they will make it right. I have a Viper on my 06 and a Leupold Freedom on my 17. For the money I dont think you can beat the Freedom.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    My money is on the OP's scope being fake. Hopefully Amazon will do the right thing and refund his money.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I have an astigmatism, dont matter who makes an optic....some are great for me and others are not....

What problems does it cause? I was diagnosed last year. The only thing that stands out optics wise is that red dots are not round. Does it cause other issues?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    What problems does it cause? I was diagnosed last year. The only thing that stands out optics wise is that red dots are not round. Does it cause other issues?

Astigmatism can make either the horizontal or verticle crosshair appear as a double image depending upon the astigmatism.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Im a vortex guy but Leupold makes a nice product and their customer service is almost as good as vortex.

My brother bought a used 700 with a Leupold on it about 25 years ago. It was losing zero last year and he sent it in. They replaced it with a brand new scope.

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I've lost count of the number of Leupold optics I have in my safe. From low end to high end (multiple MK5 and MK6 scopes). I have been thrilled with their performance, taking me to multiple match wins all over the country in a variety of shooting disciplines. Two months ago, I had one of my MK6 1-6 scopes start flickering. A quick phone call to Leupold to do some basic trouble shooting, followed by instructions to send it in. I had it back in my possession 17 days later, completely refurbed, cleaned, and polished. I'm a big Leupold fan, in addition to Vortex and Nightforce. I've had at least 1 scope from all 3 companies have an issue. All 3 companies repaired or replaced the optic in question in a short time frame. When people post bitter customer service complaints about any American optic manufacturer, I tend to raise an eyebrow at the complaint and wonder what parts of the story the complaining party is "accidentally" omitting.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Talked to support. The scope is not a fake. One thing I did not realize is that the parallax is set to 150 yards. I just assumed the parallax was 75 or 100 yards. I was shooting it at 50 and then 100 yards; so less than ideal conditions for this scope.

If I did not already say so, the rifle is 17 HMR.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Talked to support. The scope is not a fake. One thing I did not realize is that the parallax is set to 150 yards. I just assumed the parallax was 75 or 100 yards. I was shooting it at 50 and then 100 yards; so less than ideal conditions for this scope.

If I did not already say so, the rifle is 17 HMR.
    They will readjust parallax for you for a fee. However there are a few threads at rimfirecentral on how to do it yourself with Leupold scopes.

Not sure this will help with the lack of optical clarity though.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    They will readjust parallax for you for a fee. However there are a few threads at rimfirecentral on how to do it yourself with Leupold scopes.

Not sure this will help with the lack of optical clarity though.

Thanks. I was also thinking the same as you, that parallax would not effect the clarity. I am going to give it one more outing and get an opinion from someone else at the same time, but I will probably send it in to be looked at.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Counterfiet

There's a lot of counterfeit 3.5x10 Leupolds for sale on eBay and elsewhere, counterfeit box, instructions, serial number, sealed in plastic wrap and all.
    If you call Leupold with the serial number they will gladly verify it. I've seen some very perfect counterfeits, one thing that gives them away is the power ring is backwards. When you turn the ring to the right the power should increase, the counterfeits are opposite. I have at least five 3.5x10x40 and owned and/or mounted at least 100 Leupold scopes, never had an issue such as you're describing.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have a few Leupold scopes and love them all. My cheapest Vari X II 50MM FO is brighter in low light then the Vari X III with a 40mm FO (about 3 times the price) both set to same power ~ 3X or 9X. My 24mm VX5HD at 1X might actually be brighter then either, but at ~3X probably not. Anyhow, you have to get them as close as possible to make meaningful comparisons. And $$$ spent usually translates into higher quality unless the money is going toward reticle upgrade, zoom, turret upgrades, adjustable parallax etc... If all the options are identical but two different lines then the extra cost of one is certainly for the better glass. And the older I get the more it seems to matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom