• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/IMPORTANT-COMMUNITY-ANNOUNCEMENT/5-2225774/

AR15.com Community Members,

We have exciting news to share with you today about the future of AR15.com.

The News

AR15.com has joined the 2nd Adventure Group family. The 2nd Adventure Group is wholly owned by Pete and Frank Brownell, and also serves as the umbrella company that owns Brownells, Inc. and other industry brands.

The Avila family will continue to run the site day to day and the same moderators will moderate the forums under the same rules for which you are accustomed.

Why?

In today’s world of social censorship and the muzzling of pro-Constitutional voices, it’s more important than ever to have a modern, forward-looking place where we can all meet, debate, discuss and create ideas to keep our Second Amendment and our uniquely American freedoms strong for generations to come.

In line with that need, the Avila family has long had a vision for making AR15.com an even more robust community for freedom-loving people like you. However, we need more resources to help make our vision a reality.

Under the new ownership structure, we (the Avila’s) can focus on developing critical website improvements, which include, but aren’t limited to:
    •Easier to navigate forums
    •A better equipment exchange
    •More content production
    •A host of user-friendly upgrades

The Future

We elected to partner with Pete and Frank Brownell because we’ve known them personally for years to be real advocates for both our First and Second Amendment rights. They see the importance, now more than ever, for having a free, unfiltered forum of pro-Constitutional voices and ideas to be heard. Put simply, they share in our vision for the future of AR15.com.

In the near term, not much will change. However, in the not-too-distant future, you can expect upgrades to the site aimed at improving your abilities to connect with friends and fellow community members, learn about new products, debate the topics of the day and interact with our advertisers… all in an effort to make AR15.com the ultimate voice for freedom.

We sincerely thank you for the 23 years of continued support; we can’t wait to see what the next 23 bring.

In Freedom,

Edward, Juan & Jorge Avila

Surprised there is not already a thread about this here.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    This is one of the few times when "selling out" doesn't sound terrible. Brownell's has been around a long time, and they're a decent company. You could do tons worse than having them in charge.

Slim

Sep 13, 2015
    HoCo & Worldwide
    This is one of the few times when "selling out" doesn't sound terrible. Brownell's has been around a long time, and they're a decent company. You could do tons worse than having them in charge.

It sounds to me like a capital infusion into ar15.com to create an alternative to Facepalm and twitter.

Cool. I support both, as both support the 2nd.
    Still though, I at least liked to think that ArfCom was an independent voice in the 2A realm. Obviously they had advertisers, but it was larger run by and for the community.

I guess we’ll see.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Still though, I at least liked to think that ArfCom was an independent voice in the 2A realm. Obviously they had advertisers, but it was larger run by and for the community.

I guess we’ll see.

The thing about "by and for the community" when it comes to keeping a busy, back-end-resources-intensive web site running is: not many people in a given community are willing to help foot the bill, and an amazing number of them complain about ads.

Whenever I get to know someone, personally, who expresses annoyance at such things, I invite them to join me for a tour of a large datacenter so they can see what dozens of acres of servers, generators, air handling, security people, and fantastically complex networking infrastructure looks like. Puts it all in perspective! The "brought to you by" model is increasingly more likely, as it takes an enterprise of some size to keep things like that running.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I wonder what a site like that sell for? Wonder what a site like this is worth? I realize there is up keep with websites but I bet the value number would shock many.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I thought all those data centers were mining bitcoin now.

I was in a Virginia datacenter the other day, walking along with an engineer. We entered an enormous co-lo space, fenced off for one client. Ten rows of server racks, each close to 100 feet long. Using as much electricity as a typical neighborhood. Asked him if he could share with me who that one client was.

He wouldn't name names, but asked me if I was familiar with those cookie-based follow-up ads from retailers, the kind that use your visit (if you've permitted the cookie) to remember you later, in hopes of offering you up a more appealing mix of products, or - most often - reminding you that you were looking at a particular product. An ad for that particular product may even pop up somewhere else (another web site being paid to syndicate such ads) in hopes of bringing you back to place an order. Sounds like a very niche business, powering just that sort of ad, doesn't it? That entire datacenter footprint was doing that, and only that ... and it was one of the company's 16 such installations around the world.

Tens of thousands of servers, untold megawatts of electricity, mammoth amounts of bandwidth, storage, and human management, to say nothing of untold hundreds of thousands of hours of software development and business development. And all of that effort? FAR more useful than toying around with volatile nonsense like virtual currency. Powering commerce and connecting customers with sellers is a far more rational use of all of that horsepower than is speculating on digital tulip futures.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I was in a Virginia datacenter the other day, walking along with an engineer. We entered an enormous co-lo space, fenced off for one client. Ten rows of server racks, each close to 100 feet long. Using as much electricity as a typical neighborhood. Asked him if he could share with me who that one client was.

He wouldn't name names, but asked me if I was familiar with those cookie-based follow-up ads from retailers, the kind that use your visit (if you've permitted the cookie) to remember you later, in hopes of offering you up a more appealing mix of products, or - most often - reminding you that you were looking at a particular product. An ad for that particular product may even pop up somewhere else (another web site being paid to syndicate such ads) in hopes of bringing you back to place an order. Sounds like a very niche business, powering just that sort of ad, doesn't it? That entire datacenter footprint was doing that, and only that ... and it was one of the company's 16 such installations around the world.

Tens of thousands of servers, untold megawatts of electricity, mammoth amounts of bandwidth, storage, and human management, to say nothing of untold hundreds of thousands of hours of software development and business development. And all of that effort? FAR more useful than toying around with volatile nonsense like virtual currency. Powering commerce and connecting customers with sellers is a far more rational use of all of that horsepower than is speculating on digital tulip futures.

After I buy an appliance like a range, I see ads for the same appliance for months. How many refrigerators/stoves/dishwashers do they think I need? Next time in the data center ask them. :lol2:

I am kinda glad I dont see ads after I buy a gun. Oy the temptation...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    After I buy an appliance like a range, I see ads for the same appliance for months. How many refrigerators/stoves/dishwashers do they think I need? Next time in the data center ask them. :lol2:

I'm aware of several companies that power such ads, and of course they can't all be aware that you consummated the purchase, so their AI sell-bot just keeps on trying! Most of the half-decent ones don't want to alienate you from their clients (the retailers) so those ads will usually feature a corner button that lets you click and inform them that you're no longer interested in, say, refrigerators.

They'd rather not pointlessly burn the resources, and the retailer would definitely not like to keep paying to run ads to someone that literally won't be buying another fridge for ten more years. It's a tricky business to be in - very, very few displayed ads actually turn, directly, into sale. Most of the people who pay to display those ads are just trying to keep themselves somewhere in the back of your mind for next time around.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Interesting since Mr. Brownell just stepped down from the NRA board.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

You should see the anti 2A Google data center in The Dallas, Oregon 80 miles east of Portland along the Columbia River. They built it their because of the river and The Dallas Dam was not to far from it to provide cheap electrical power to run their massive, ok ok beyond massive size,server farm with security that equals any high profile US Gov building as well. The guard post building along the driveway where security officers are armed with AR-15's and they carry the sig P226 handgun also from what I have been told by a person who lives in The Dallas and has the inside info..
    66_big.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Probably. Last I checked bitcoin mining used about as much power as ALL of Denmark. Real good for the environment I am sure. To produce...special ones and zeros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom