• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minibee20634

May 28, 2019
    Hey everyone! I'm new to the Southern Maryland area, Mechanicsville, and I'm looking for somewhere that I can shoot over 100 yards. I prefer to be outdoors but will settle for an indoor range if that's all there is. Thanks in advance for the help!

MackM

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2018
    I am looking for the same thing, for an AR 15 and .243 Remington 700, but in central MD, anywhere between Bowie and Baltimore. 100+ yds would be great.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Hey everyone! I'm new to the Southern Maryland area, Mechanicsville, and I'm looking for somewhere that I can shoot over 100 yards. I prefer to be outdoors but will settle for an indoor range if that's all there is. Thanks in advance for the help!

use the Mdshooters Search and search this (Any shooting ranges in the Dahlgren/King George area?) someone posted a range not much over the bridge off rte 218 not a computer guy but this should help

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Sticky at the top of the page in this section has an interactive map of all known ranges in the Maryland area and a spreadsheet with information including distances.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    To cut to the chase, other than the occasional access to Ft Meade , you're not going to find it *between* Bowie and Baltimore . AGC will probably be your best alternative .

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I've all but given up on this unicorn dream myself. However,... after crops are harvested.. I can invite a couple people out for some distance shooting.

I love shooting and will be glad to take some people out to property I have, 10y to 350y or out at 500-550. there's no range of between 350-500 because of the land turrain. Shotgun clays don't "burst" well to always see them. but I might tape FLOUR behind them to make a POOF. or something similar. I have a few gongs, poppers and a dueling tree. The dueling tree is good w/ 223 at 200 but a 308 is too much a 22-250 is also good. I haven't tested on "everything".. that's what I'm working on now hAHHAH.

drop me a pm, and I'll do some sort of lotto or something every other weekend after crops are harvested. until they are planted again 2020.

attending a long range shoot at BANGSTEEL (1k yards) is a 2020 goal of mine.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I've all but given up on this unicorn dream myself. However,... after crops are harvested.. I can invite a couple people out for some distance shooting.

I love shooting and will be glad to take some people out to property I have, 10y to 350y or out at 500-550. there's no range of between 350-500 because of the land turrain. Shotgun clays don't "burst" well to always see them. but I might tape FLOUR behind them to make a POOF. or something similar. I have a few gongs, poppers and a dueling tree. The dueling tree is good w/ 223 at 200 but a 308 is too much a 22-250 is also good. I haven't tested on "everything".. that's what I'm working on now hAHHAH.

drop me a pm, and I'll do some sort of lotto or something every other weekend after crops are harvested. until they are planted again 2020.

Dan class is a personal goal of mine as well. I’ve heard nothing but great responses from those how have gone. Another goal is Thunder Valley in OH. They have a 1 mile range.

If you do decide to host an MDS shoot at your farm I’m sure there would be plenty of volunteers.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    If you do decide to host an MDS shoot at your farm I’m sure there would be plenty of volunteers.

You're probably right. The problem/concern is having a bunch of "new to me" shooters. I can't tell you how many times I've been indexed/muzzle swept by someone that was "just showing someone something real quick." or "I've been in the X service for Y years" etc etc. No disrespect intended but rules are there for everyone's safety.. after having been indexed/swept.. I've limited it to one "new to me" shooter at a time.

I could do something like no uncased weapons except those being shot.... hrm... ya know... that might be a solution....

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Do it!
    I took a class from Central Virginia Tactical taught by Ed Shell. Was probably the most fun I've ever had in a day of shooting. Class was two days, classroom and zeroing the first day, and all shooting the second day. 333 to 1,200 yards.
    He's not running classes right now but he has recommended BangSteel.
    There are some members here that have gone to BangSteel as well.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Do it!
    I took a class from Central Virginia Tactical taught by Ed Shell. Was probably the most fun I've ever had in a day of shooting. Class was two days, classroom and zeroing the first day, and all shooting the second day. 333 to 1,200 yards.
    He's not running classes right now but he has recommended BangSteel.
    There are some members here that have gone to BangSteel as well.

MDShooters BangSteel excursion sounds like it's right around the corner. Last year, I was going to go to bang steel but decided against it for other reasons. Ended up getting a Savage 110 BA Stealth and a "decent" scope instead. Did a 220gr ELDX OCW load for it and never looked back. I'm not a a master reloader but it does the trick.

BangSteel is in the roadmap for 2020. I've been testing my load and DOPE but I can only stretch to 550y (safely).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    MDShooters BangSteel excursion sounds like it's right around the corner. Last year, I was going to go to bang steel but decided against it for other reasons. Ended up getting a Savage 110 BA Stealth and a "decent" scope instead. Did a 220gr ELDX OCW load for it and never looked back. I'm not a a master reloader but it does the trick.

BangSteel is in the roadmap for 2020. I've been testing my load and DOPE but I can only stretch to 550y (safely).

If you want to shoot longer I would recommend a class of course. They have intro to long range classes at Peacemaker in WV. You could also go to a Frontier Day at Peacemaker, I think they have them one Sunday a month. Next one is July 14 and is something like $75 for non members. Basically it’s informal long range practice. Steel targets from about 300-1000 yards. Good opportunity to get dope on your rifle.
    I’m going with a couple of friends, should be a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you want to shoot longer I would recommend a class of course. They have intro to long range classes at Peacemaker in WV. You could also go to a Frontier Day at Peacemaker, I think they have them one Sunday a month. Next one is July 14 and is something like $75 for non members. Basically it’s informal long range practice. Steel targets from about 300-1000 yards. Good opportunity to get dope on your rifle.
    I’m going with a couple of friends, should be a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the intermediate LR class at peacemaker. It was OK. However after two classes with Ed Shell I think I could have taken the Advanced Class at PNTC and kept pace. I still might do the advanced class anyway just for reinforcement and practice.

If you are really new to shooting beyond 300yds then I think you will gain some valuable insight from the PNTC classes for sure. However by the time you add up the cost to take all three classes at PNTC you might not be that far off from the cost of a two day class with Dan Newberry. However Dan’s two day session would be leaps and bounds beyond PNTC’s class experience.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    e.

I could do something like no uncased weapons except those being shot.... hrm... ya know... that might be a solution....

If you do host guest, I would absolutely create a written set of rules and include a formal range briefing. Anyone who attends should already be familiar with the routine and welcome safety reminders. If not then they probably are not someone you would want on your property anyway.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    One more point that just occurred to me. You might want to reach out to Ed Shell. He may be willing to do a private class at your property assuming his cost are covered and it’s worth his while.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sign me up.

And if you want to do a small group to BangSteel, let me know. I am always up to go back.

I did write ups of at least two trips there, I have been their 3 times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom