So I've decided I want a CMP M1...but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Last rifle I had delivered was a field grade with a five digit receiver and a 12-44 barrel on a GI stock. It also has the tg with the concentric rings so I was happy. I guess every once in a while they'll throw a cream puff out there to keep people buying them.
    I also ordered a CBI barrel for a back up measure but never needed it until not to long ago when I pieced the last of my parts together.
    I think if I was just buying one I would still go for the SG unless you like to tear them apart and sell off what you don't need.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for the response. Is there a waiting list or how's this work. I'll be honest, I just had my interest peaked when I almost sold my Persian Mauser.
    I bought the gun 30 years ago for cheap (real cheap). Almost sold it for $750 when a friend advised me to reconsider. Actually offered twice what I was about to sell it for. After doing research I found out I had a very rare collectible. All of the sudden I love the damn thing and want to add to my collection. I have a couple of other old guns that are sentimental and would never sell. I figure why not start to add to what I have? I love all my modern toys but strangely old girls seem fun too. :)

Nice, the old ones are my favorite ;)

Start here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

And here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

You have to order rifles through the mail, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but it’s really not that bad. Just do the prerequisites and fill out the forms and send them in. Not really a waiting list they fill orders as they’re received.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nice, the old ones are my favorite ;)

Start here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

And here: http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/ordering-information/

You have to order rifles through the mail, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but it’s really not that bad. Just do the prerequisites and fill out the forms and send them in. Not really a waiting list they fill orders as they’re received.

More or less. I don’t think there are real wait times now. Figure 2-3 weeks after you mail your paper work in. When I got mine wasn’t long after they got a ton of lend lease Turkish M1s back in and a few others (Philippine I think?) and I guess that drove a wave of interest. I waited about 5 1/2 weeks total and I showed up 3 days before my 35th birthday!

It was a birthday present to myself, so perfect timing.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My package for a Service Grade was just mailed off. Now....we wait. I'll post pictures when it shows up.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    If you want a really nice M1, you could sign up for a CMP AMC class. If you get lucky you could build a great shooter yourself. ;);) It's a little late to try to get into 2019 slots. Toss your name in the hat for next year and maybe you'r number will come up. :fingerscrossed:

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/advanced-maintenance-class/

Been there, done that and we built great shooters. And we even got T-Shirts... :innocent0 https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=217956

Go for it!

:thumbsup:

Going next week!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Going next week!

That's GREAT, Fox123! :thumbsup:

The CMP Staff is A-1. When you get your Garand built, shooting it your first time at the Talladega Range is awesome!

My prediction is you'll learn a ton and have an experience of a lifetime!

Looking forward to a thread about your experience - with pics!

:D

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My package for a Service Grade was just mailed off. Now....we wait. I'll post pictures when it shows up.

Smoking a cigar on the front porch waiting for the FedEx man! Looks like I got a '54 HRA judging by the serial number. I can see how this could be addictive....

giphy.gif

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Well here she is... HRA receiver. Looks like a '65 SA rebarrel? Throat and muzzle are 2/2.

Metal work looks perfect as far as I can tell. The new stock looks great. What do folks recommend for the stock - BLO, RLO, tung oil, or...?

20190530_095012.jpg

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I use flax seed oil from a health food store. BLO from a hardware store usually has driers in it that will polymerize with a couple of applications. For me trying to get the oil to lay on top and stiffen up may take a couple of attempts. I think a lot of that depends on species of the wood and what it's been subjected to in the past. In extreme cases for matching repairs or other significant changes to the timber sometimes I will gasp rub wax from a toilet ring right into the wood.

Whatever it is that you do with the type of oil you use, beeswax with a few drops of turpentine to cut the oil back some will work over a period of time. I find it's sometimes a little bit of dirt, grease and grime/dust that gets them right with a little bit of use.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I use flax seed oil from a health food store. BLO from a hardware store usually has driers in it that will polymerize with a couple of applications. For me trying to get the oil to lay on top and stiffen up may take a couple of attempts. I think a lot of that depends on species of the wood and what it's been subjected to in the past. In extreme cases for matching repairs or other significant changes to the timber sometimes I will gasp rub wax from a toilet ring right into the wood.

Whatever it is that you do with the type of oil you use, beeswax with a few drops of turpentine to cut the oil back some will work over a period of time. I find it's sometimes a little bit of dirt, grease and grime/dust that gets them right with a little bit of use.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Well here she is... HRA receiver. Looks like a '65 SA rebarrel? Throat and muzzle are 2/2.

Metal work looks perfect as far as I can tell. The new stock looks great. What do folks recommend for the stock - BLO, RLO, tung oil, or...?

Holy hell the gas plug on this thing will not budge. It's funny because the gun is very clean and it has new wood, so it must have been the CMP who torqued this thing down.

1st try: Large blade screwdriver. Nothing.
    2nd try: Kroil, plus wrench on screwdriver for more leverage. Nothing.
    3rd try: Heat (just a bit), kroil overnight, repeat #2. Nothing.
    4th try: Buy correct gas plug wrench (I was going to do this from the get-go but read it was unecessary). Arrived today. Repeat step 3, only held gas tube in padded vice. NOTHING.

I just bought the Gas Tube Wrench from garandgear.com. I've also read that a 1/4 extension will fit in the gas plug. I'm either going to try that, or put a cheater on the plug wrench I have. I currently have the entire gas tube/plug assembly submerged in kroil and it will stay that way until Wednesday when the gas tube wrench arrives...ugh.

Any other tips or things I'm forgetting?

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    3 days soaking in Kroil + Gas Cylinder Wrench finally got it free. Now that I feel like I have every armorer tool for an M1, I feel like I need more of these things....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    3 days soaking in Kroil + Gas Cylinder Wrench finally got it free. Now that I feel like I have every armorer tool for an M1, I feel like I need more of these things....

Have the bolt disassembly tool? If not, disappoint. :-)

Also need a reloading press so you can role your own Garand safe ammo. Also if you don’t have hitler’s mustache you are failing.

Get it together man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom