Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Notices

Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM #1

308 load data

I am getting set up to reload .308 Winchester. The most cost effective projectile I have found is at Wideners, and it is a 147 grain jacketed bullet. I have only found recipes for 130gr, 150 gr and 155 gr. Can I use the slightly heavier 150 gr recipe as a starting point? I assume since the bullet is slightly lighter than expected, the pressure would be lower.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:28 AM #2

The 150 gr load data will work just fine.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:03 AM #3

It'll do as a starting point.
BradMacc82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 06:53 PM #4

Don't waste your time with cheap 147 grain bullets. At very best they are 3 moa bullets. Get quality name brand bullets.
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:12 PM #5

I use 150 grn date for my 147s. Never had an issue
Old June 3rd, 2018, 07:40 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
The 150 gr load data will work just fine.
Yep, virtually the same. For a weight difference of only 2%, I'd not make assumptions about pressure differences. Factors such as jacket/core hardness, bearing surface length and seating depth will play as much or greater parts in pressure variations. As always, start with a lower charge weight and work up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
Don't waste your time with cheap 147 grain bullets. At very best they are 3 moa bullets. Get quality name brand bullets.
Agreed. They're not "cost effective", they're cheap (for a reason) approximations of milspec ball and unless you're just blasting, you'll likely be disappointed with precision. If I was going to shoot FMJ/ball bullets, I'd just buy milsurp ammo and save my reloading time for something worthwhile.

What sort of rifle are you running? Bolt gun? M1A, AR-10?

Nosler blems are cost effective. I buy 500 bags of 150 and 165 BTs and my M1A loves them. Nosler Ballistic Tips are among the most accurate hunting style bullets and my LTR will put them into one hole at 100 yards.

Clearance priced sporting bullets from places like Midway, Graff, Powder valley, etc. can be cost effective too. Do a search for "blems", "seconds" and/or "clearance" 308 bullets. If you'd consider spending your time loading 147s, you'd never notice blemishes. You can probably use anything in .308 diameter from 110 grains up to about 190 in most .308 rifles. Round nose, flat nose, spitzer...unless you're shooting a tube mag or self loader, you don't need to be particular if your aim is to save money. I've shot Sierra 125 grain flat points through my own .308 and they will do 1.5 moa or so, plenty good for position/close range work and much better than the average FMJ 147/150.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free" - J. W. Von Goethe
E.Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 09:19 AM #7

AR 10 (Anderson) with a Nikon M308 scope. New to rifle, new to rifle reloading, working to increase understanding and proficiency of both.

Would be interested in learning how you determined that the bullets mentioned are of poor accuracy. Personal experience? Manufacturer? something else?
Old June 4th, 2018, 12:53 PM #8

FMJ bullets are made differently and it is the method of manufacture that causes problems with accuracy.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 11:57 PM #9
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Insane in the mainframe

Location: Fredneck County, People's Democratic Republic of the State of Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
AR 10 (Anderson) with a Nikon M308 scope. New to rifle, new to rifle reloading, working to increase understanding and proficiency of both.

Would be interested in learning how you determined that the bullets mentioned are of poor accuracy. Personal experience? Manufacturer? something else?
Sometimes the FMJ isn't an even thickness around the core, due to the core being out of perfect. Match projectiles are about as close to perfect in every way possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoostation View Post
Like cherry blossoms in spring

Ban hammer falls and makes all better
Member of the 1st Universal Church of St. John Moses Browning, Reformed (M1911A1)

SOTAR FTW!

Admitted H&K fan boy
NRA-Life
MDC

DaemonAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 09:16 AM #10

OP, how much shooting do you do? At what range, what kind of rifle? And what are your expectations?

The General Dynamics 147 gr bullets are okay for plinking, but if you're interested in learning precision marksmanship you'll become pretty frustrated pretty quickly. Depending on the rifle, and your brass preparation and if you weight sort those bullets...you MAY be able to squeeze about 2 inch groups at 100 yds out them if you're shooting well. IMI's are a bit less consistent, and will probably produce 3" groups if you're shooting well.

Something to consider...reloading lets you customize the round to the rifle and produce ammunition that is store bought match grade quality or better for not too much more (and sometimes less) than what you could buy surplus / bulk plinker ammo for.

GD's are currently on sale at Widener's for $85/500 (or .17 a bullet) and IMI's for $75/500 (or .16 a bullet). The king of bullets for .308 mid range target shooting, the 168 gr Sierra MK is $179.50/500 (or .36 a bullet). Let's say that the typical shooting outing is about 100 rounds (if you're shooting for precision, taking your time, recording your call and plotting your shot and analyzing results, and not just blasting away). That is about a difference of $20 every time you go shooting. So, maybe the cost of a Starbuck's coffee and breakfast sandwich and a six pack of beer for after you're done shooting for the day.

Midway has match monster 175 gr (or 168 gr) bullets for $139.99 / 500 (or .28 a bullet), so a savings of about $12 for an outing. Maybe a bit more than the cost of a Chick Fil-A lunch on your way home.

Is it worth the savings? Totally subjective and depends on your goals...but for me...I'll cut my costs somewhere else and make match grade ammo.

As others have said previously, if you do decide to go with the 147 gr bullets, then you're fine with a starting load for 150 gr bullets and then work your way up. You could always buy a box and try them out. Let us know how they do.
Major03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading