• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have a Dan Wesson Pointman Major 1911 .45. I love the gun and it's built like a semi-custom piece with some Chip McCormic, Ed Brown, and other name brand 1911 parts. My brother has a Kimber Tactical Custom II 1911. After shooting both side by side over the years I like his better. His has an aluminum frame, which isn't a big deal (I prefer steel), but I like the 30 LPI checkered front strap, checkering under the trigger guard, night sights, mag well and some other minor details. I know I could easily add these parts to mine, but by the time I add everything up it might be easier just to get a new gun. I don't like the MIM parts on the Kimber, but the big ticket items could be swapped out. So should I just trade in my Dan Wesson and get the Kimber? How bad of a hit do you think I'll take on the trade in? Also does anyone know what local dealers carry the Kimber tactical models.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Continental is a Kimber shop. Not sure what they have in stock. They also are a Ed Brown shop.

I would rather own a DW than a Kimber.

Alloy frame vs steel. Alloy wins only if you are carrying the gun. Range or home use, steel.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    you want a reliable 1911... go custom

www.edbrown.com

Sorry, ed Brown isn't a custom shop. His guns are semi custom.

Wilson will build a custom.

Then comes the high $$ custom shops, like Yost, Harrison, Williams, Rogers.

Do you want a very nice gun, built to FBI HRT specs? Springfield Armory's Professional.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    you want a reliable 1911... go custom

www.edbrown.com

don't count out a stock Springfield 1911A1 for reliable, mine is bone stock all stainless gun and hasn't been a jam-omatic. I can count on one hand how many times it has had any type of malfunction out of several thousands of rounds fired. No I do not use my 1911 for CCW (or any guns for that matter) so the debate of "does it feed HP ammo?" is a mute point
    Care and feeding of a 1911 has alot to do with reliability. I ran mine hard and wet for the first thousand rounds,cleaned it good after. Rinse and repeat as needed. YMMV

Ed Browns are nice guns, I do like the Kobras alot. Kimbers are dead sexy as well. When I get my second 1911 (commander size) I will be looking at one of these. And NightHawks /drool

Continental has both Kimbers and Ed Browns in the case i believe.

Fstbk272

Jun 1, 2010
    MD
    The gun center in Frederick of rosemount & 15 They are a Kimber dealer Check out the Night hawk pistols.

If you go here, check out which models you like, then go somewhere else and buy it. They (Gun center) are overpriced like whoa.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a Kimber TLE/RL II. It includes night sights (Meps) and came with 30 LPI front strap checkering included. I have about 1k rounds of Federal HST 230g +p JHP and WWB ball ammo through it without a single problem. I am not as concerned about MIM parts as some others are. I think it's an overblown problem IMO. I love this gun.

I got mine at Atlantic in Rockville but they sold it to me at MSRP and I waited 9 months to get it. You can do better elsewhere IMO. Kimbers are nice guns IMO in spite of the bashing on Internet forums, Kimber sells more 1911's than all the other manufacturers out there. Pure numbers would make more complaints normal IMO. I don't know if the bashers even own one or they repeat what they see on the forums. My experience with Kimber has been excellent. Enjoy whatever you get.

rvanrens

Jun 27, 2010
    Adamstown, MD
    If you go here, check out which models you like, then go somewhere else and buy it. They (Gun center) are overpriced like whoa.

Yanno, I keep hearing people saying that, but I just don't see it - the prices seem in line with most other places. Yah, you can buy cheaper online, but what with transfer fees and whatnot...

Admittedly, I haven't shopped much beyond Fredneck and Montgomery County, so your mileage may vary.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've got about 1500 rounds through my 10mm Kimber. Nothing broken yet. The magazines suck, but that's another issue. I don't like the plastic back strap. It's an $1100 dollar gun, why is there plastic there? I haven't had an issue with any of the MIM parts, and it does have an internal extractor. The full length guide rod helps with the recoil. It's very accurate, but I need to shorten the trigger by about 1/2". I love the gun, but it's not perfect. I'd rather have the Pointman in 10mm, but I could never find one locally and everyone who was selling one on Gunbroker wanted my first born child for one.

Jim

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Yeah the original Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm was a work of art. That came out shortly after I bought mine in 2002. The first 10mm was basically a custom gun. You could even pick your serial number. Dan Wesson has gone through many changes since CZ bought the company. Bob Serva, former president of Dan Wesson prior to CZ checked out my gun personally when I had an issue with the grip safety. My main reason for wanting a Kimber is to save the $$ on all the upgrades mine would need. Checkering the frontstrap, adding a blended magwell, nightsights, and a reblue would cost more than I have into the gun. I'd love to have a Nighthawk, Ed BRown, or Wilson Combat but I don't have at least 2 grand to drop on a 1911 right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom