• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Hello,

I was considering doing a 9mm SBR but, I am not sure if a minimum 10.5 barrel will keep 147gr bullets subsonic. Those with experience, can you please help? I would like to stick with 147's but, if you have experience with heavier, please chime in.

If its going to be tough, I may change a existing SBR lower into 9mm and get a new 556 one that's 11.5."

Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have to ask... what SBR? If an AR... why not just put on a shorter barrel?

29" OAL requirement in MD.

I have an AR pistol that I'm planning on SBRing in the future, but til I leave Md (for good), I will keep it a pistol with a 5"bbl and suppressor. I want to keep it short and light.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    29" OAL requirement in MD.

I have an AR pistol that I'm planning on SBRing in the future, but til I leave Md (for good), I will keep it a pistol with a 5"bbl and suppressor. I want to keep it short and light.

ahhh... see I always forget that one having a registered M16... I am so glad I don't have to worry about that BS.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I thought 10.5" was the starting point to meet 29" length requirement.

I may use an existing sbr lower but, was curious if I did a new one for 9mm if it would stay subsonic as I'd want to use a can under guard.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I've read in earlier posts that 7" was the long limit to keep most loads subsonic. Good to see that information was for loads lighter than 147. Mental note, order some 147's.....

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I thought 10.5" was the starting point to meet 29" length requirement.

10.5" is the easiest one to use if you want to hit it without running a permanent muzzle device.

You can get 29" with an 8.5" barrel with NO permanent muzzle device IF you run a VLTOR A5 7 position buffer tube and a Magpul ACS or ACS-L stock *with* the 3/4" extended buttpad.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. That sounds like a good compromise and just leave the other builds as is. I tried the multiple uppers thing and they always end up with their own lower.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I have a 10.5 inch 9mm. My 147s stay subsonic for the most part. I did shoot it out in the cold for the first time this winter and a couple of rounds went supersonic. So you're gonna be right on the border. Spring and summer time weather , I never had an issue.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    The new interest in Pistol Caliber Carbines (PCC) is why the generation of 9mm 158gr subs sell out (Fiochi or PPU).

Most report they are quieter as well. I have a case of the PPU 158, AE147, and Speer 147. Plan on doing my own test to see if the 158s are worth the extra cost, but probably not with my 5.5" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom