• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Wow! I have been missing out on the 5.45 fun. I bought a SGL31 from Atlantic couple weeks ago and made it to the range Friday. I must say, I was impressed. I expected it to run of course being an AK but, I was surprised at its accuracy. I wish I would have jumped on this wagon a long time ago. I was shooting surplus and didn't feel like $20 bills were dropping from the mag well each time.

I have not shot corrosive ammo much. I flushed it out with a hose and air compressor when go home but, I have already gotten it back out to check for rust. I will get over it but, its stuck in my head right now that I didnt get it all.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I have found that the Russian surplus ammo is hotter, more accurate and consistent then the commercial (like Wolf etc)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    you still need to use a water-displacing oil after flushing it with the hose and drying it.

a little wd-40 or motor oil or something else similar on a patch through the gas tube and block (barrel is presumably chrome-lined, so oiling that is completely unnecessary), maybe wipe down the innards in the receiver too.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    you still need to use a water-displacing oil after flushing it with the hose and drying it.

a little wd-40 or motor oil or something else similar on a patch through the gas tube and block (barrel is presumably chrome-lined, so oiling that is completely unnecessary), maybe wipe down the innards in the receiver too.

Thanks. I sprayed clp and used motor oil on the metal to metal parts. I'm going to check the gas block and tube. Is WD or something else better for displacing the water? Do you have a write up on here somewhere for cleaning? I know you are well versed in the platform. I wouldn't be as concerned if not for the corrosive salts.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What makes you think the surplus ammo was corrosive?

I know that on sites like gun-deals.com it's listed as such.

I really like the Tantals but I cant see any way to get a cheek weld on that folding stock.

Feb 28, 2013
    Found out something interesting today. Apparently you can use ProMags for a 5.45mm AK-74 in a 5.56mm rifle. Either that or the guy who sold them to me didn't know what he had.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Wow! I have been missing out on the 5.45 fun. I bought a SGL31 from Atlantic couple weeks ago and made it to the range Friday. I must say, I was impressed. I expected it to run of course being an AK but, I was surprised at its accuracy. I wish I would have jumped on this wagon a long time ago. I was shooting surplus and didn't feel like $20 bills were dropping from the mag well each time.

A 5.45 AK is definitely on my pre-October list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom