• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    It's not about the AMMO people...it IS about the way that the question was ANSWERED by an elected Senator....you know...a Representative of the "People".....the answer was ********. That's why I posted it. No tin foil hat needed when a regular "Citizen" asks a simple question....his answer does NOTHING ........period...that's the point

He gave a canned, ******** answer to a mis-informed, ******** question. What's the problem here?

Giving canned, ******** answers to legitimate questions is another thing entirely.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    He gave a canned, ******** answer to a mis-informed, ******** question. What's the problem here?

Giving canned, ******** answers to legitimate questions is another thing entirely.

They've been asked this same question by several "legitimate" news sources as well as at least two US Congressman. You'd think by now, they'd have a canned answer or even a FAQ sticky on DHS.gov.

Ken Stanka

Mar 6, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    Disagree check this out. I did the research on this when someone made the same comment in my office to verify. ONe would fully expect an intial mass purchase then a tettering off and minimal resupplies.

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/08/the-history-of-dhs-ammunition-purchases.html

Dude, those are solicitations which support exactly what I was saying.

A solicitation is an request for capable companies to reply with a quote, a contract then gets awarded to the most capable/cost effective company that replies to the solicitation.

Once the contract is awarded, please refer to my previous post.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    yea .40 cal would still make no sense in those quantities........... except most of it is .223 being purchased. Check my link above for the actual orders.

I skimmed through the large purchases. Looks like mostly handgun ammo. Most of it is destined for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center facilities. Hiring has been nonexistent at most federal agencies for the last couple years. Looks like they may finally be getting ready to replace some retirees and hire new recruits. Nothing to see here except that I might need to polish my résumé.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Remember, ALL of these agencies have academies. Anyone who went through a military academy or LE academy can tell you... you'll fire several thousand rounds each before your graduate. These numbers all add up very quickly. And as another poster said, these are spread out over several years.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Cardin's a lying liar.

Say what you want about some of Cardin's politics, but I've seen the other side as well. A friend of mine's son went to Taiwan for Grad School to study, the kid was brilliant, and could speak 6 languages fluently. He was on a scooter and got broadsided by a commercial truck that ran a stop sign. He was taken to a local hospital with massive traumatic damage. The Taiwanese authorities were trying to make his family pay for medical expenses, even though he was clearly covered by his school, they were also not pressing charges against the other driver, as well as dragging their feet about transferring him back to the U.S.

Cardin personally contacted multiple agencies here and in Taiwan to get the issue resolved, the bills paid, the driver charged, and Tom airlifted home for better treatment. He stayed in contact with my friend during the entire process (him personally, not an aide), and made several follow-up calls to make sure everything was working out for her.

I might disagree with some of his politics, but he seems to be a sincere and good man, who tries to do what he thinks is right, and I can't fault him for that.

Tom sustained significant brain damage, and lost all his languages except english. He has been slowly reacquiring his lost abilities, and currently works for a large corporation's international section.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Remember, ALL of these agencies have academies. Anyone who went through a military academy or LE academy can tell you... you'll fire several thousand rounds each before your graduate. These numbers all add up very quickly. And as another poster said, these are spread out over several years.

If each employee needed 1000 rounds, they could supply 1.6 million employees with ammo.
    1.6 billion with a B is a lot of ammo. A lot.
    Its a lot to request even if the order is never filled.
    Its a lot if the reporter sucks at math.
    Its a lot if all those DHS dudes practice their little tails off.
    Its such a lot that its freaking otherwise reasonable people out a little.

Since this is all for target practice then they should have the requisite number of targets on order, right?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    The amounts initially reported were about 100x higher than actual because the reporter reading the acquisition form didn't know what each entry meant. It's also spread out over a number of years. They're buying lots of ammo, but it's much more consistent with training needs than 1.62 BILLION rounds.

Now those armored vehicles and other interesting DHS buys? Those have me concerned.

The 1.6 billion is the total authorization not the amount that they have ordered.

It about getting a good price by locking in an option and requirement to buy over time.

However why the blank does ssa need its own police force.. ???

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Should go back and ask Cardin if the three DHS Border Patrol agents were killed as a result of those firearms connected with Fast and Furious.

If i only need a 10 round magazine, then DHS should only need 3 bullets.

Ken Stanka

Mar 6, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    If each employee needed 1000 rounds, they could supply 1.6 million employees with ammo.
    1.6 billion with a B is a lot of ammo. A lot.
    Its a lot to request even if the order is never filled.
    Its a lot if the reporter sucks at math.
    Its a lot if all those DHS dudes practice their little tails off.
    Its such a lot that its freaking otherwise reasonable people out a little.

Since this is all for target practice then they should have the requisite number of targets on order, right?

The armed departments always do this. It takes way too long for solicitation, reply/quote, selection and award to be effective for short notice needs. with few exceptions for sole source, it typically is 8 months to a year to put a contract in place.

Pretty soon these extremist right groups will be saying the same thing about DOD being that the DOD contract ceiling contains enough small arms ammo to kill the world population 2.5 times.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The armed departments always do this. It takes way too long for solicitation, reply/quote, selection and award to be effective for short notice needs. with few exceptions for sole source, it typically is 8 months to a year to put a contract in place.

Pretty soon these extremist right groups will be saying the same thing about DOD being that the DOD contract ceiling contains enough small arms ammo to kill the world population 2.5 times.

That's because DOD uses 9 mm round ball and you have to shoot people at least 2.5 times each to get the job done.
    :D

I understand they place a long term fulfillment order of a quantity they never anticipate actually purchasing BUT this entire thing could go away with a simple explanation from them using actual data of previous purchases and anticipated future needs. I don't understand why someone from DHS didn't just make this go away instead of ignoring it. Either they think its such BS that it doesn't deserve a response or they don't want people to see just how much ammo they have on tap.

Ken Stanka

Mar 6, 2013
    Waldorf, MD
    That's because DOD uses 9 mm round ball and you have to shoot people at least 2.5 times each to get the job done.
    :D

I understand they place a long term fulfillment order of a quantity they never anticipate actually purchasing BUT this entire thing could go away with a simple explanation from them using actual data of previous purchases and anticipated future needs. I don't understand why someone from DHS didn't just make this go away instead of ignoring it. Either they think its such BS that it doesn't deserve a response or they don't want people to see just how much ammo they have on tap.

I think they did. I saw it on fox news as a response from DHS. Del Lance demanded DHS address this or the House would start reconsidering DHS funding. Napolitano replied with numbers that were in line with previous years purchases (I obviously dont know if what she reported was truth).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom