• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Little motivation fir you guys who haven’t snagged one yet ;)

Attachments

• 620C4F29-3991-41F4-99CC-BC77597521A0.jpg
      620C4F29-3991-41F4-99CC-BC77597521A0.jpg
      109.2 KB · Views: 222

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The 8 I nailed yesterday tracked the spray of Tink's #69 aerosol that I sprayed as soon as I got situated. Passed by my buddy's stand (out of range) and just about totally ignored the challenge grunt that my buddy made to home in on that estrus scent. Crossed open fields, a road, a paved driveway, and more open field to get to the stand I was in. Between that and the activity I saw the previous day at Monocacy NRMA, it's an eye-opener for the novice hunter just how much caution bucks will throw to the wind to chase after the does. And I thought I did some stupid stuff to impress the girls as a teenager......

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    You pretty much need a YouTube account for posting videos here.

I kind of figured. Here's a snap shot. They are starting to come out during daylight on my trail cams now too. Hopefully I'll be able to get out a couple of times this week. There was also 3 other does and a spike in the bushes they ran into. I ran after them but they didn't want any of my driver.

Attachments

• Buck chase.jpg
      Buck chase.jpg
      115.3 KB · Views: 191
    Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I went to the area I'm trying to rattle at but forgot my antlers again. Double DUH!

I picked up a few tree limbs that looked like they might work and tried to use them. Nothing came to the rattle attempt but I heard a crash to the right of me but nothing showed. After sundown I heard a few gunshots not too far away.

I also forgot my HECS suit and a deer was going to come down the saddle I was sitting at. It knew I was there when it was at the top of the saddle and made a "Caw" noise. I wonder if it would've noticed me if I had the suit on?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Saw some big boys on the way to work this morning. They were already out and running at 5:30AM. Saw one chasing a doe across Lewisdale Rd. at the Beal farm. Saw several big does on the way from Laytonsville to Olney.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The 8 point in my neighborhood I have been seeing on my trail cam only at night was plainly visible at 3:30 when I finally got home and walked out to my stand Sat evening.
    Was following a mature doe. They were about 300 yards from me across the field on neighbors property and heading away from me so I did not miss anything. It was encouraging to at least see it in daylight.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I saw quite a few blood spots on I-29 headed to and from Sioux City, Iowa tonight so the rut must be on here. I rattled the spot I mentioned but nothing showed. I might go rattle twice tomorrow cause the area looks great and noone else is hunting there.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With cooler weather called for the next few days, this is a perfect situation for all day sets. Since they seem to be in full chasing mode, pick high percentage stands sites like ridge tops, multi-trail intersections, creek bottoms, pinch points, and don't overlook outside edges of doe bedding areas. Things can go from 0 to 90 real fast so keep your alert.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    They killed another buck chasing some does last night.
    Everybody has seen them pushing does around but no witness to any actual tending or breeding.
    Rdr Buck.jpg
    RYder Bucks.jpeg
    I think they're going to start culling some does over there on the R farm. May have only been one or two above average bucks that were killed since the opener.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I have 8 does hiding in my back yard next to my patio. Lol. I have to go to work otherwise I would wait for the buck to come by and tend his herd.

Good luck guys

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    They killed another buck chasing some does last night.
    Everybody has seen them pushing does around but no witness to any actual tending or breeding.

The doe I saw being chased by a buck this past Friday at Monocacy NRMA seemed VERY receptive. To the point that she waited for the buck to catch up to her when he paused to sniff my way. Didn't see any actual breeding, and I haven't seen any clear tending yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't at least started. Hoping it keeps up for the next two weeks so that there's some action during the gun opener.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The doe I saw being chased by a buck this past Friday at Monocacy NRMA seemed VERY receptive. To the point that she waited for the buck to catch up to her when he paused to sniff my way. Didn't see any actual breeding, and I haven't seen any clear tending yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't at least started. Hoping it keeps up for the next two weeks so that there's some action during the gun opener.

If a doe's tail seems to stay at half mast, not all the way up, not all the way down, that is typical of a doe that is ready and receptive. ;)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    FINALLY saw a buck cruising yesterday. Saw a 2yo 8 point work a couple of scrapes and a rub, so that was cool.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If a doe's tail seems to stay at half mast, not all the way up, not all the way down, that is typical of a doe that is ready and receptive. ;)

Have you ever considered writing a book or starting a youtube channel? You are a massive font of knowledge when it comes to hunting. I honestly think I've learned more from your posts this current season than in all my previous years' hunting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Have you ever considered writing a book or starting a youtube channel? You are a massive font of knowledge when it comes to hunting. I honestly think I've learned more from your posts this current season than in all my previous years' hunting.

Lol! :o It's already in books, but thanks for the compliments. :)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Just looked through my latest trail cam pics. The does are hearded up again. Bucks are tolerating each other in the same space (over food), and about 3/4 of the bucks I have on camera have broken tines. One is missing a G2 on one side, a G3 on the other, and both brow tines! Must have been some good fighting somewhere.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Right when a doe is ready to be bred they’ll bed down usually with a buck 15-20 feet away.
    When she stands is when breeding occurs.
    Bucks will also flag with the tail horizontally,
    Younger or the non dominant ones will posture as they break out of the wood line into the open.
    That usually goes away once they get a look to see whose around or trot out into the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom