• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I purchased the Savage couple years ago and really like how it shoots. It is my favorite suppressor host. The plastic stock is OK and is lightweight but, I wanted something different, more substantial.

I purchased a Boyds Rimfire Hunter in the pepper finish. I read about some possible fitment issues and the very thin bottom wood. When I got it and tested fitted my stock, the barrel was sitting far to the left, pressed against the side of the stock. I also found one hole was larger than the wood screw supplied with the DIP bottom metal I also purchased.

So, I figured with all this, I may as well beef up the bottom and try some bedding. First, built up the bottom of the stock with a pour of JB Weld and re-drilled the action screw holes. I also dremmeled a couple little high spots. It turned out pretty good to me and it being my first time. Gotta try stuff to learn. Wiping the clay off smeared it all around.

Then I decided to bed the action. Its more of a skimming of material. My priority was to not weld the stock to the barrel and have it come out. I didnt want it dripping all down inside either.

The night before sanded down the inside of the stock using a piece of aluminum tubing that was just a little bigger than the barrel. I drilled some holes for the JB Weld to settle in and give a positive lock. I took my time prepping. Used painters tape and modeling clay. I used shoe polish for the release. I let the JB Weld setup for about 40 minutes to get thicker prior to applying. The barrel and action are a tight fit now and centered. There is a nice resistance when removing the action. A couple places I could have used more material but, overall I am happy.

Now, I hope it shoots as good as it did before the new stock.

Attachments

• image(1).jpeg
      image(1).jpeg
      65 KB · Views: 2,233
    • image(2).jpeg
      image(2).jpeg
      84.5 KB · Views: 2,020
    • image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      72.5 KB · Views: 2,063
    • image(3).jpeg
      image(3).jpeg
      217.3 KB · Views: 7,092
    • image(4).jpeg
      image(4).jpeg
      226.9 KB · Views: 6,018

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Pretty. If that's the Nikon 3-9, I just got the same scope for my savage. Just mounted it tonight.

rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I put a Boyd's tacticool on my FVSR last month and the fitment was perfect. I didn't really need to make any adjustments for it to fit and the quality was 100x better than the plastic stock.

I'm also using the Nikon 3-9 prostaff rimfire with Vortex medium rings. I may swap them for the high rings though so I can move the scope a little further back.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I put a Boyd's tacticool on my FVSR last month and the fitment was perfect. I didn't really need to make any adjustments for it to fit and the quality was 100x better than the plastic stock.

I'm also using the Nikon 3-9 prostaff rimfire with Vortex medium rings. I may swap them for the high rings though so I can move the scope a little further back.
    I have some low rings, definitely would like to move it a little higher to get the score further back

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I purchased the Savage couple years ago and really like how it shoots. It is my favorite suppressor host. The plastic stock is OK and is lightweight but, I wanted something different, more substantial.

I purchased a Boyds Rimfire Hunter in the pepper finish. I read about some possible fitment issues and the very thin bottom wood. When I got it and tested fitted my stock, the barrel was sitting far to the left, pressed against the side of the stock. I also found one hole was larger than the wood screw supplied with the DIP bottom metal I also purchased.

So, I figured with all this, I may as well beef up the bottom and try some bedding. First, built up the bottom of the stock with a pour of JB Weld and re-drilled the action screw holes. I also dremmeled a couple little high spots. It turned out pretty good to me and it being my first time. Gotta try stuff to learn. Wiping the clay off smeared it all around.

Then I decided to bed the action. Its more of a skimming of material. My priority was to not weld the stock to the barrel and have it come out. I didnt want it dripping all down inside either.

The night before sanded down the inside of the stock using a piece of aluminum tubing that was just a little bigger than the barrel. I drilled some holes for the JB Weld to settle in and give a positive lock. I took my time prepping. Used painters tape and modeling clay. I used shoe polish for the release. I let the JB Weld setup for about 40 minutes to get thicker prior to applying. The barrel and action are a tight fit now and centered. There is a nice resistance when removing the action. A couple places I could have used more material but, overall I am happy.

Now, I hope it shoots as good as it did before the new stock.

nice, I like it. I had the same idea.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    Has anyone tried the Apache Trigger for the Mark II? I got one for Xmas from my wife, but I haven't installed it yet because I am in the middle of installing pillars and bedding the receiver on my FVSR. You can adjust the trigger down to 1# guaranteed by Apache.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Nope, but I took mine out for the first time yesterday. I was impressed by it. It really did well with cci sv. Tons of fun with the can

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Nice work F-Stop!

I have an older MKII pre-accutrigger that shoots great! It's a bull barrel, sst in a laminated factory stock. Took it apart and reworked the trigger to get it down to about 3lbs and took out all the play, overtravel and creep. It's not a high-end aftermarket trigger, but it sure works great now!

I like the Savage laminated stock, substantial, adds enough heft to make the gun handle very well, but I have not bedded it yet, haven't really seen the need.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Thanks all. I was able to get this out the other day but didn't stay long as it was in the 30's. Best 5 shot group off a pillow stacked on top of my ammo box fit under a dime. It was accurate before but the new stock tightened up that little bit more.

Mine also likes the cci SV suppressed. It did well with m-22 also. This is a great shooter for the price.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks all. I was able to get this out the other day but didn't stay long as it was in the 30's. Best 5 shot group off a pillow stacked on top of my ammo box fit under a dime. It was accurate before but the new stock tightened up that little bit more.

Mine also likes the cci SV suppressed. It did well with m-22 also. This is a great shooter for the price.
    I haven't been able to try any m-22. Mine did not like federal automatch at all. I also shot some golden bullets, but they were very inconsistent. You can really tell the charge differences with a suppressor.

ih8unot

Mar 20, 2011
    Dundalk
    Beautiful. Finally got to Hap yesterday to get my new FV-SR sighted in. LOVE THIS GUN!!! Mine to hated the GB but did well with Winchester bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom